The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 pm

((Hmm.... Could make an argument for arcana i.e Sword lore or possibly for insight : self knowledge as to what he needs based on experiance. ))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 pm

It looks like whatever you terrorized those kids with. Below are three dots, two together, one above the other, the third is to one side.

((Not Arcana, these are mundane blades, if Appraisal was a check, that's what I'd likely ask for. You can give me an insight check on them (the blacksmith) though.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 pm

insight: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13

The smith has a remarkable poker face. He switches his attention to the swords.

investigation: 1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:05 pm

((I'll say your familiarity with weapons lets you add proficiency as well, so 22.))

They aren't giving much away, but you get the sense it's a bit of a test.

You take your time, pulling the blades out one at a time and inspecting them, rapidly picking out of the lot the one that is the most well made. The fit in the hand is just right, the balance is perfect... it's a fine blade. Certainly not the fanciest, there are others, one in particular with gold filigree work around the cup, wire wrapping on the handle, and a gem set into the pommel, but you're able to tell that it is more flash and shine than substance. Others are a bit off, for one reason or another, one a bit too point heavy, another too pommel heavy, one with a grip that is likely to get slick with sweat.

No, the best of the bunch is unassuming, a blade that would get overlooked by someone less familiar with them than you.

"So. What do you think?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Nem laughs to herself and decides to let the kids stew a little bit until she's done at the graveyard.

((She would make a mental note to swing back tho, even if i, the player, forget))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16886
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Zokk waits patiently for Randy to get done with the swords. ”Wheeeen wiiiiilll I haaaaveee cloootheees?”

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:17 am

Randy takes the good blade and balances it on a finger just in front of the guard. "This one... this one is very good. Not flashy, well balanced. It feels good in the hand, almost an extension of my arm. " He gives the blade a bit of a flex. "Not too stiff, but not too limber either." He looks carefully down the blade. "No pits or flaws." He looks at the smith. "How many folds is it? I knew a Lord once that claimed a blade of a thousand. He wouldn't let us look too closely at it, of course. As he was only a Baron, I rather doubt it."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:27 am

"Alma said she'd work on it dearie, it takes time for these things.", Evelyn responds.

Tess and Dornikal head out of the city to the south, eventually after a half hour or so, arriving at the outskirts of the cemetery, which stretches over a hill to the east of the roadway.

Parts are wooded, but you spot a small herd of goats within the fence that must serve to keep the grass cropped. There is a turnstile near the closed front gate, but no one seems to be around at the moment.

They grunt, stoically pleased you were able to pick out the good one.

"Numbers not as important as folk like that want you to think. Good eye though. If twenty five gold is what you're looking to spend on a new blade, I'll sell that one to you. But if you're looking to spend more... I've some others I could let you look at."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 am

Randy raises an eyebrow at that. "You've better than this? You've got my attention now, sir. In what way, other than cosmetic, did you manage to improve on this? Show is fine for the rubes, but I want something I can depend on when it counts. And if you've something better, I'm willing to consider it....within reason. "
((Randy is making it clear that he is willing to part with a bit more gold as long as the smith isn't asking too high or trying to job him.))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 am

Dornikal calls out,

"'Ello? Anyone about?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:00 am

"Of course, of course. If you didn't have a discerning eye and the reasoning to back it up, I'd have either not sold anything to you, or sold you that flashy one for five times the price. I've two blades that might be of interest, one a rapier, the other a shortsword. Didn't bring them with me... didn't think there'd be anyone worth selling them to. You have the time to swing by the smithy? Randy, was it? I'm Tell.", they extend a calloused hand.

((Their voice is a touch feminine, but otherwise they are not easy to visually ascribe to a gender, but "sir" seems to be a suitable honorific.))

The caw of a lone raven answers him, as a black bird takes wing and flies deeper into the cemetery.

There is a small building just inside the entrance, with a pillar nearby topped by a bell. There is a pull rope attached to it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:18 am

Randy exchanges grips.
"Randerwaith Buckthorn, formerly of Govad Laegil . Aye, I'd be interested. "
He watches carefully to see if he gets a reaction from that.
perception: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:04 am

((Probably be Insight, but no worries.))

"That elvish? Good to meet you, Randerwaith. I've a few more deliveries to make, I can pick you up on my way back through, or meet you down at the smithy when you're ready?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 am

Randy gives a slight smile and an even slighter nod. " Let me get my...companions... settled back at our inn. I'll let the others know that I may be unavailable for a while. Then I'll meet you back here."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:26 am

Nem heads towards the little guy and rings the bell.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 am

Tell nods and trots out to their cart, bringing a few more things in for the general store before heading off on the cart to do their other deliveries.

The bell rolls and a figure approaches over the hill, wearing a dark robe and carrying a scythe. They raise an arm towards you and approach slowly in the rosy light of sunset.

The raven returns and lands on a headstone nearby, cawing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:24 am

Randy heads out."Zokk, can you get Gordon please? We need to meet up with the others and get him to a proper bed. We'll pick up your clothes tomorrow if they're ready. Follow me and I'll show you the inn we're staying at. Your 'grandparent' is likely there getting ready for show he's giving later tonight. I'm afraid I may wind up missing it. I've got some important business with the smiths at their forge this evening."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am

Dornikal watches the figure approach and waves back. He says conversationally to Tess (and Coljin if he came along),

"Must have been out cutting some of the long grass. Wonder why they'd need to that with all these goats though."

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16886
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:05 pm

”Oooooaaaakaaaay. Friiiieeend Eeeveeeyyln wheeeereee doooo yoooou waaaant theeee baaaaall aaaat?” Zokk puts the ball of yarn where Eveyln wants. They then gently pick up Gordon and makes a little bit of space for the gnome in their trunk. They turn to Randy to follow him to the inn.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Nem summons Ily and sends him to skirt the outside of the tombstones as they approach (flanking). She gives the raven a curious look as she approaches, wondering if it might also be a familiar, or just a regular bird.

Arcana: 1D20+2 = [17]+2 = 19

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Randy leads off and heads back to the inn. When he gets there, he has Zokk wait a minute to warn the innkeeper, then leads Zokk upstairs and has it put Gordon on Maj's bunk. If there's a courtyard with soil, he'll show it to Zokk. He'll leave a message with Holger about where he's going. "I've got some business south of town with a smith. I'll try to be back for your performance, but I don't know how long this is going to take. Your grandchild is looking forward to seeing it, though." he finishes with a grin.
Once he's left his message he'll head back to the store to meet the smith, taking his full purse, his gems, and share of the gold from the sewer fight with him, buried deep in his clothing where only a deliberate open attempt is ever going to reach it.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7367

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Theis2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm

"The south is such a popular direction..
I hope Ulmwin or Coljin will stay long enough to chaperone Zokk there while I'm performing. Oddly enough, the gnome seems a bit to.. feral for the place though.. He seemed interested in weapons so he might want to come with you?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:42 pm

"Unfortunately, the business is both important and private. So...no."

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7367

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Theis2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Holger grins teasingly at Randy as he mentions it's private business

"Oooh, found someone with a sheath worthy of your sword? Or is it their greatsword that caught your fancy?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 6474
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Randy snorts.
"You've no idea how close to the mark you are."

Post Reply