The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 am

((The temple? I'll get a post for you and Coljin up soon then, as he went exploring that area.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:00 am

((Yes indeed, wasn't sure if it had been a guild or a temple. But that's correct :) ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 am

”Caaaan weeee nooot? I doooo nooot liiikeee thiiiis uuumaaaan.”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:09 pm

The two modern gnomes head up to the Temple District on the hill, Coljin a bit taken aback by the grandeur of the looming stone buildings. As a forest gnome, dedicated to a goddess of the forest, his idea of an ideal place of worship seems to differ quite a bit from the humans who constructed these edifices to their gods.

Ulmwin picks out the temple to Deneir that they arrived through, not the most ostentatious or largest.

"Hmmm, perhaps. I'll give you twenty thousand gold for it.", the wizard offers Holger, ignoring Zokk's complaints.

"Estmont you say? That's a fair bit of a sidetrack... You are an odd lot for sure, but one that's done right by me and my company. The Commander... we're of the same mold... happier being just a soldier, I might be Company Leader, but I don't have to deal with the politics and bureaucrats like he does. Stuck behind a desk, dealing with the logistics and paperwork of keeping a city safe..."

Anders sighs and goes quiet, idly picking at a twig as he formulates his thoughts.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:18 pm

”I saaaaaaaiiid nooooo. Leeeets leeeeaaaaf friiieeends.” Zokk attempts to move around the man, staying far as possible from him.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:23 pm

"Twenty-five!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Randy looks thoughtfully at Anders. "Obviously there's something about the current situation that's bothering you." Randy gestures around the glade. "And it's also obvious you don't want word getting back that you've been talking to us. Why don't we talk about what brought you looking for me?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:29 pm

((Persuasion, with Advantage.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Nem steps in front of the guild wizard with a dangerous smile.

"Love, we are REALLY not in the business of buying and selling people. Leave it alone now."

She shoulders past him and approaches the front desk.

"I believe we're expected."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 pm

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:04 am

The wizard gives Tess an incredulous look.

"Well, why'd you bring it here if not to sell it!?"

"Expected? Who are you?"

Anders pulls out a flask and takes a pull from it before capping it and offering it to Randy.

"That dead woman you cornered him on... I feel like it's something I'd know more on if it were on the level. Which means he's had to take steps to keep it quiet. Which means he's being made to do so."

He sighs again, obviously conflicted.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:06 am

Ulmwin let's out a deep exhale, clearly not looking too terribly forward to this whole ordeal... But eventually does approach the temple they've had their... Fun, encounter in only a couple days ago. Seeing about knocking first, unless it's obvious the door's not meant for that- He doesn't intend to go any further than the "door", at least not without being invited in.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:53 am

Holger frowns in dismay at the wizard.

"I could get better deals from devils."

Holger waves him off with an annoyed look and lets Tess take over as he tries to adjust to the many magic auras
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:31 am

”Theeeey diiiid noooot briiiing meeeee heeeeereeee. I prooooomiiiiseeeed graaaaandpaaaareeent toooo heeeelp fiiiind sooomeeeethiiing theeeey looost. I aaaaamnoooot ooobjeeeeect.”

“Maaaaay I siiiiileeeenceee thiiiis uuuumaaaan? Noooo haaarm wiiiill beeee dooooneee.”

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 am

Randy takes the offered flask and takes a quick swig before handing it back. He thinks a minute and then decides to be open with Anders.
"We've had the feeling that ...certain individuals... knew more than they were letting on. The lady was here to try to reclaim/buy back a certain magic item stolen from her employer. We were given the impression it was fairly powerful, but not told about what it's function was. We were sent here to find her and bring her home if we could. If we found the item too, the old wizard would be happy about it, but he was mainly concerned about his apprentice. "
Randy shakes his head. "He's going to be devastated when he hears she's dead."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:25 pm

"Old wizard? One of the Guild? Sorry you weren't able to find her alive."

"The Commander built his career under the old Lord Mayor... campaigned together in the Commander's youth. When the old Lord Mayor died and his son took the office... well... I'm not saying he hasn't been good for the city... but the city has certainly been good for him, if you catch my meaning. I don't know what his influence comes from, but there have been... things that don't seem quite right, and my gut tells me the strings are being pulled from the top of the hill."

"Oh, very well.", the wizard bars entry into the guildhall. "If your business here isn't to sell off curiosities, what do you want?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Randy nods. "Makes sense. I guess the question then becomes 'What are you going to do ?' And what do you need from us? "

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:07 pm

"Heh... yeah, I suppose that is the question. I want to help you get the answers you need with as little fuss as possible, without it blowing back on the Commander and the Guard. It's enough to deal with everything that went down the last few days. Lost more guards under my command... good men and good women. You and yours kept it from being more, and saved some that would have fallen otherwise, and for that you have my gratitude."

He's silent for a long while, taking a few occasional pulls from the flask, not getting inebriated, but like a man who doesn't know a better way to cope. He'll offer it to you as long as you show an interest in joining him.

Finally, he speaks again. "Been thinking about retiring. Doesn't sit right, the Guard being manipulated by politicians, but it's probably always been that way, I just couldn't see it. That's not what I want it to stand for, you know... not what I want my legacy to have been. Not saying I want it taken down or anything of the like... but... well, I might be in a position to repay you folks a bit before I turn farmer or something. Maybe I'll learn to blow the pipes and play for my meals."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Randy takes a sip and gives a little bit of a snort and grin. "I'm sorry. I just can't picture you grubbing in the dirt like that. Or playing pipes for meals. And I suspect that you really can't, either." He shakes his head. "Once you've felt and heard the battle song in your blood, it's really hard to go back to anything else. And you don't really think your former employers would let you be after helping us, do you? If they found out, they'd put you UNDER your farm. "
Randy looks introspective for a moment, then shakes himself out of it. " I suspect what you need is a change of scenery and a cause you can believe in. I've a couple of possibilities for you that you might want to consider."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:39 am

((Dornikal would be confident he could get Anders a job with Szartha!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:40 am

"We've got business with Wizard [name]."

((Sorry I'm mid-transit right now and can't find the wizards name again in the forum posts...))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Coljin follows Ulmwin to the temple, "Yeah, let's try to make a better impression this time, I would not mind knowing we have a way out of this part of the world as soon as we decide to leave."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:47 pm

"Yeah, I'm as like to go hungry as anything, if I've gotta rely on my musical abilities. I thank you for the offer of possibilities, but if a change is in my future, I don't think it'll be immediate. I may have lost a third of my command, but owe those I have left. Can't just leave in the night, as it were."

Anders takes back the flask and finishes it, stoppering it and stowing it in his coat.

"A few leads would be welcome, if you've folks in mind I could follow up with in whatever the next chapter holds for me."

"Zottle? Ah, yes, I think he did mention something about someone stopping by..." the wizard rubs their hands together and glances about. "If you'll follow me then?"

He turns and heads into the guildhouse, leading you to the sitting room that Tess has been to previously.

The temple that Ulmwin and Coljin approach is fairly open, the doors standing wide and no guard on duty. It would seem that at least the front area remains open to the public. Entering, they see a long foyer with benches placed about the walls, with various parishioners seated or standing before them, either bowing in prayer or reading the numerous inscriptions on the walls.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Ulmwin looks around for a bit, before whispering to Coljin. "Let's try and immediately find someone responsible, I suppose? We don't want to linger here too long if we've been technically barred..." Ulmwin states, moving in a bit deeper, though not looking to go anywhere that isn't public, while looking out for someone that he either recognizes, or looks like a proper priest.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Randy nods. "I understand."
He reaches into his pack and pulls out pen and paper, quickly writing something. "This is a letter of introduction to the Abbot at Circle Vale. It explains that he should give you the same support as he would me." Randy hesitates a second and then goes on. "War is coming, Anders. You've seen the first forerunners in the sewers. There are forces in the shadows that would overwhelm the light, claim this world for evil and madness. When the time comes, head there. They'll need you."