The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 pm

((ah yeah, I forgot you could speak to animals! Good call! Will update when I get home from work)).

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Lizard Group
As you prepare to move on, Merric notices that there's one set of small, humanoid footprints left in the soft ground where he saw the strange person last night. But... there is no sign of any canine tracks.

Tromping southwards, Merric does his best to try and sneak the party off towards the east, but Kal is having none of it and keeps the group on track heading south. Eventually as the sun rises overhead Merric loses track of where he thinks east actually is, and is mostly forced to follow Kal and Artho's weaving path through the forest. Happily, it seems like the lizardfolk were all recalled last night, and you don't see hide nor hair of them as you pick your way through the trees and increasingly wet ground, grateful at least that you can make better progress now you're not constantly trying to stay hidden.

Around lunchtime, the group pauses for a bite to eat. The ground is almost completely flooded, and the soft mud sucks at your boots. The trees here are less dense, but those that grow are much taller, and the dense, dark, blue-green canopy still manages to block most of the daylight. Sadly, they do not block the heat, and you find yourselves in what is essentially a fantastically humid, enclosed space. Artho futilely smears the sweat across his brow for about the hundredth time today, and sits down on a tree root with a frustrated sigh.

"We will soon need a boat if this gets worse. I don't suppose you happen to have one in your packs do you?" He gives a half-hearted laugh at his weak joke and slumps back against the tree trunk.

((Korrik, let's have a perception check please. Have advantage and we'll say Kal is helping you))

Merric is up to other ideas.

Spotting a small hawk preening in a nearby tree, he casts his spell and saunters over towards it. It watches suspiciously until he speaks, then cocks its head curiosity.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13944

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Nioca
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1974

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Bigger? No, not really... I can do some smaller stuff, but I really hate feeling like prey. I tried being a deer once, and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack every time the leaves rustled. It's not for me.

...What did you have in mind? Maybe we can find one and learn it together!"
"Well..." Syli pauses and thinks. "If not being prey isn't for you, I might have an idea... My old mentor in the arts, Urkish... he wasn't much for magic, but he was a master at shapechanging. Well, and brewing some gods-awful moonshine, but mostly shapechanging. His favorite form was this massive canine thing with a helluva laugh, he called it a Hyena, a gigantic version of it, anyway..."

"I haven't seen anything like that around here... but I do know there's some sort of settlement to the north named after Dire Wolves, which makes me think that they might be found somewhere whereabouts."

"Or, alternatively, we might go looking for even bigger cats. A powerful and ancient wilderness like this, you can't tell me there isn't a giant dire panther or something out here somewhere."

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6494

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 am

► Show Spoiler
"We need to change direction, I know where I have to go now."

Merric points excitedly towards an eastern direction.

"I Just had it confirmed that the tree is in that direction and hopefully we can move along the deeper parts of the swamp rather than through it for now. Shouldn't be far either and the bird might even assist us in finding the scaled ones"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am

The little hawk cocks its head.

((Merric can go ahead and give me another persuasion check, with advantage))

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6494

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 am

Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

Syli
At the mention of the hyena, the dwarf blanches.

"Your old master was very strong then or very lucky... I have seen the laughing dogs in the plateaus and hills east of Rhul, but they weren't wild. They answered to these strange dog-men and moved across the land in an enormous pack. They caught my scent from miles off and chased me for hours until I was able to lose them again in the trees. That's the only time I have been truly glad for my spider-shape... I wouldn't want to meet them again, and I wouldn't try. Your old master would be the easiest person to learn the shape from, you know?

Other than that, I've heard rumours that a tiger has moved into a territory near the ruins of the old elf cities. It's a long way from where you were before, but we could go and look! A tiger would be very strong.

I know the lodge you speak of. They have dogs and drink and too many idiots. The only wild creatures there are dead."

---------------------
Merric:
"You are big. Big is safer. What food have you got?"

Korrik:
Looking out into the swamp, you see a lot of stagnant green water. Most of the water here is covered in a film of dirt and algae and is hard to see into. It's going to be hard work moving forwards on foot, and even harder to tell what might be hidden below the water line.

You and Kal spot the movement at about the same time. A tiny flash of yellow cloth or something flutters in a little gasp of wind about a hundred feet away towards the south west. You can't get a clear look at it from here, because its mostly hidden behind a collapsed and rotting tree. Getting to it will involve some wading.

User avatar
Nioca
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1974

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

"I'd say very strong." Syli replies, although she's frowning. "And while ordinarily you'd be right... my old master believes in some of the more... primal elements of nature. 'The strong live, the weak die out', and that sort of thing. He wouldn't just give that power away, he'd make me earn it; I'm pretty sure it'd result in me being neck-deep in hyenas and their masters in a hurry. The Path of the Moon isn't one for the weak-spirited."

"...it's kinda why I'm out here so seemingly unprepared. Once I knew the basics, I needed to learn on my own, to earn the rest and develop my strength."

"...or maybe he just got sick of me. I dunno." Syli shrugs.

"How far out would you say those ruins are, in days travel? I'd love nothing more, but..." Syli sighs, shaking her head. "The task my companions and I are out here on is potentially rather time-sensitive."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 am

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 am

Syli
The dwarf looks a little crestfallen when Syli mentions her current task.

"Everywhere is close to here, but I truly don't know how long it might take to hunt down a tiger."

User avatar
Nioca
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1974

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

Syli sighs again, remaining quiet as she tried to churn through the conundrum running through her mind. On one hand, this could be the thing that gives her the edge she needs against further lizardfolk encounters. On the other, going after it could render the exercise mostly moot; if it took too long, the others could go on without her and get themselves killed without her. And even if they didn't, it just might take too long and and the lizardfolk would finish doing... whatever it was they were doing.

"...let's get back to camp," Is how she finally replies.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 am

Syli:
The dwarf's face drops and she nods, clearly disappointed, but she doesn't argue.

The walk back to camp with her is quiet and peaceful and soon enough you hear the sounds of music, laughter and singing wafting through the trees, carrying the smell of a delicious meal. Syli's stomach growls and the dwarf laughs.

"Sounds like Tam is throwing you a party. I'll leave you to enjoy it, I'm not really one for crowds. If you change your mind at all, I'll be around for a couple of days. If not... "

She trails off a little sadly, then turns back into a panther and springs into a nearby tree and is soon lost in the canopy.

((Syli can now access the jaguar / panther templates for wild shaping))

-------------------

Lizard Group

The hawk waits expectantly, while a little yellow patch of colour flutters in the distance.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6494

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 pm

"Hmm, not sure.. Let me ask the others. We'll gather something good along the way though. How far away is the white tree?"

Merric looks a bit disappointed that no one answer him earlier but tries again as he notes that the others have been distracted.

"We got some good food for my new hawk friend? He'll help us scout and he knows the direction to the tree! We'll get both things done quickly if we go to the tree first."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13944

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I rub my forehead, "*sigh*... Merric, I thought we decided to keep on going towards the lizards, and that we'd circle back around to your tree later. Your new... friend... doesn't look like he's good with directions."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6494

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:09 pm

"What?! You don't think birds are great with directions? They can just fly high and see everything. Besides it seems pretty familiar with the white tree.

Merric will extend his arm out for the bird to land on

"Could you sit on my arm for a moment as I explain to them where we need to go?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

"Big is also maybe dangerous. I will stay here."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13944

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

I turn away from the nutty halfling to speak to the others. "Kal, Artho... you see that bit of yellow over there? It might be worth checking out, but I don't relish a swim... or muck crawl..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm
I turn away from the nutty halfling to speak to the others. "Kal, Artho... you see that bit of yellow over there? It might be worth checking out, but I don't relish a swim... or muck crawl..."
Artho looks up wearily and squints towards the cloth.

"It seems as good an option as any. You're small and light, Korrik. Can you make it across through the branches do you think? Look - that big tree over there reaches most of the way over, then you might be able to get across the last way on those roots."

((Climbing into the tree looks reasonably straightforward for your skillset, but keeping your footing on the roots and out of the water will be quite a lot tricker)).

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13944

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:47 pm

"Yeah, as long as I don't slip... you guys able to have some rope handy to toss in case I end up taking a bath?", I start stripping off some of my gear to leave behind, not wanting it to disrupt my balance as I get ready to shimmy my way across.

"Merric, can you take a break from playing with your bird? There's a bit of something across the way that might be a clue, I'm gonna head over to retrieve it. Can you be ready to do that blasty thing that you and Gwen do if something tries to eat me?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13101
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am

Druid Group

As the dwarf-woman leaves, Syli heads on to the lively campsite to find Mehriv and Gwen dancing around the fire to the music played by Tam and Eva. Varsk is sitting to one side, sipping on a drink. Spirits are high and the mood around the campsite is bright and cheerful, lit by the little fire, and colourful motes of light from the fireflies and little spheres of magic. Just outside the bounds of the campfire, you are aware that this music isn't just being played for you, and you get the strange, dream-like sensation that you are part of a far larger, wilder party, that's taking place just outside of your senses.

Baryon spots her approaching and leaps to his feet, waving her into the little group and pushing a cup of the sweet liquor into her hand and sets about merrily pulling a plate of food together for her. Everything is delicious and energising and delightful, and it is only as the first rays of dawn begin to break through the trees and Tam begins to play more sedate music that you realise you've been up all night.

The party draws to an end, and the strange, unseen party dissipates away into nothing again, leaving nothing but the early-morning light. The morning is unexpectedly cool and a gentle dew hangs on the ground and in the trees.

With a wide yawn, Tam finally stops playing and an expectant silence falls around the little glade.

Despite your lack of sleep, you all feel better than you can remember feeling in a long time.

You have: Seelie Blessing: You have advantage on all skill checks performed before your next long rest.

-----------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Kal pulls out his rope and loops it through his hands, ready to throw it to Korrik if he needs it.

The little hawk fluffs its feathers and watches curiously.

Post Reply