The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:32 pm

((cool! I knew that Varsk was pretty gifted, but I'm also used to INT being a dump stat :lol: ))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2063

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:37 pm

((First character I ever rolled. I had an image of who Varsk was and put the stats accordingly. There was a reason he got off the streets, he was vicious and smart. Got complacent and it cost him. He could totally take Lurn.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:17 pm

(Having a level above him helps! :p)

User avatar
Nioca
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2014

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Syli gets to work...

Syli... [rolls with advantage]
Check for Local Plants (Nature & Herbalism +3 or +5): 23 or 25 (CRIT!)
Check for Local Fauna (Nature +3): 15
Injury Poisons for Weapons (Herbalism +3): 13
Contact Poisons for Mischief (Herbalism +3): 17
Enhancement Potions or tinctures if possible, else more Injury Poisons (Herbalism +3): 18
Natural Rearrangement (Survival +3): 15

((It's hard to get more specific than that without knowing some of what's available for her to work with (pending on those first two rolls); I can make it more specific with more info. Also, I rolled the wrong number of dice on it, so the natural rearrangement one is on its own separate roll. As for the Plant one, I wasn't sure if you meant to add a second proficiency bonus on top of the nature bonus Syli actually had or not, so I went ahead and included both results))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 am

Druid Group

The group make their preparations and (short) rest as best they can as the evening tracks onwards, daylight eventually fading to twilight and then to total darkness as the clouds build overhead and the promised rains begin to fall.

RULES: Darkness & Blindness:
► Show Spoiler
Syli and Varsk spend the evening doing a spot of potion-making, taking their time to study some of the plants in Vaceran's garden and the surrounding area a little bit for supplies. Varsk manages to find a couple of good-sized nighshade plants and harvests the berries and roots, which should do just fine for the poisons he's after. Syli also collects a few ingredients from the garden, but spends more time checking the nearby woods for irritating and stinging plants that might be usefully moved or harvested. After a little searching she stumbles upon a small patch of Death's Touch fungus (which can make a potent contact hallucinogen), a clutch of poisonous spider eggs, and a few scattered hogsweed plants with their nasty, stinging leaves.

Mehriv helps as best he can by fetching components and vials as needed, and by keeping the old dragonborn from interfering with the process too much.

Between the pair of them, they manage to make 4 vials of a basic poison, one vial of a paralytic, and Syli manages to produce an extremely potent hallucinogenic. The fumes make the walls a little melty, before she manages to get it into a couple of vials and stoppered up. Vaceran looks impressed. After finishing his own work, he rummages around in his cupboards a bit and comes back with a final vial.

"This is a poison I crafted from the venom of a wyvern, at no small risk. It is highly potent and will burn your skin if you touch it without gloves. Also... I don't know if it will be much use given the amount of rain we're going to get tonight, but I also have this toxin that can be applied to surfaces and will cause an unlucky victim to fall into a stupor if they touch it. They are yours to use if you wish".

By late evening, Vaceran looks exhausted, but has finished making the complex blackleaf brew, and has managed to also prepare 2 vials of a decent paralytic.

Basic poison:
► Show Spoiler
Hallucination poison:
► Show Spoiler
Paralytic Poison:
► Show Spoiler
Wyvern venom:
► Show Spoiler
Finally, Syli spends a little of her remaining time creating some difficult terrain to the west of the house by rearranging some of the fallen branches into awkward, but natural-looking positions and adjusting a few vines to be at just the wrong height to allow easy passage through (it'll be a DC 15 for someone to spot the arrarangement; Marked as the brown shapes between the trees to the west of the hut). She doesn't have time to rearrange the stinging plants she found, but she at least remembers where they are (marked in pale green) and has mentioned them to the group.

Gwen spends a bit of time making a decoy humanoid in the shed, and pouring the four flasks of oil she found there onto the wood, and into rags that she then leaves around the place. It should burn quite readily if a flame is set to it (indicated by the red square). She and Varsk also set up some nail-board traps inside the shed, just inside the door and window. She also sets up three subtle snare traps (marked as Ss with the DC indicated in each case) and one larger, baited snare trap to the SW of the garden (marked So).

The group reconvene to make their last adjustments to their plans and divide up their new potions, before Syli scampers up to the roof. It's wet and slippery up there (will require a DEX save to move around up there, unless you do so at half speed), but dark at least, and the stone chimney provides some decent cover to hide against. A distant rumble of thunder announces the coming storm.

((Any last preparations or adjustments you guys want to make at this stage? I think I got everything you wanted to do, but it's a lot and it's complex, so shout if there's anything missing. Between the darkness and the rain, your battlefield is going to be in total darkness for this fight (for better or worse), so if there's anything you'd like to set up to e.g. illuminate the area a bit more, then you're very welcome to do so

Also, the image of inside the cabin doesn't quiiiite match the text descriptions, but only insofar as I put the bed in the wrong place. We'll stick with the map version if that's ok with you guys? It shouldn't matter)).

Cabin in the Woods (night map)
► Show Spoiler
Inside the Cabin:
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lizard group

THe lizard group paddle back over to the west, and find wide, muddy slopes on the islands to the north and south where they could haul up the canoe. A tall, dead tree is visible to the west.

Map:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15186

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 am

"Hullo?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 am

((There's no response, but you can make a perception check if you like))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15186

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

A bug buzzes Korriks's head as he looks about.

Perception: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:13 pm

A bug buzzes past, but he's pretty sure he hears a cracking sound from the south.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Gwen wants to have either alchemist fire/or way to make some moltovs. Maybe have flint and steel for it. Or another quick way to light the shed on fire.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 pm

((you can make a simple molotov (keeping one of the 4 oil flasks aside for the purpose), but I think at this stage, alchemists fire is going to be a stretch too far))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15186

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm

((Thank goodness for passive Perception!))

In a whisper, "I think I heard something over that way, any of you see anything?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Hmm. Are there bottles of alchol? Also we can possibly light it up via Mehriv, just as long as he's within 120 and has los (probably granted via light spell?)how much time do we have left?

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2063

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:01 pm

((Looks good to me!))

After his nap Varsk positions himself inside the cabin, two squares below the bed. Three if he can sit on whatever is three squares down.

"So, when the door/window opens we all shoot. Anything comes through the window, I got it."

((So inside the cabin in is Mehr, Vaceran and the old dragonborn? Can we suggest where people are? I would like Vaceran beside the old dragonborn with a clear shot at the door - 3 south and one west. The old dragonborn behind him. Mehr can sit on the bed and cover the door and window if need be?

Where is Gwen? Outside presumably?))

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7028
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Kal goes on the alert.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes, Gwen will be outside since she has devilsight. She will get up into a tree when its abput time.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm

((yup. You can position yourselves, Vaceran and the dragonborn as you'd like, either inside the house or outside it.

You'd need fire to light the shed up, but you didn't find any bottles of alcohol in your searching. The light spell is just magical light, not fire or anything. You don't know how long you have before anything starts, but you're pretty much at the time the dragonborn said things would kick off. This is a last chance to confirm I didn't misunderstand your instructions more than anything else :) ))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Okay, Gwen will keep an oil bottle just incase. Any flint and steel she can use to light it?

Also what would the ac be on a shed? Mehriv could possibly hit it with fire bolt (which should ignite it)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm

((I'm sure there's a tinderbox around. If you guys don't have one, I'm sure Vaceran can loan you one.

The sheds AC can be 5))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15576
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Okay. Gwen positions herslef so that she is within range of the shed with the moltov.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11798
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Let's put Mehr... On the bench over the loose boards, I guess.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2063

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:58 am

((which way does the door open? Is Mehr/ Vaceran's shot going to be blocked when it opens?))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11798
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:55 am

((... Oh heck, that's a thing. I guess if the door swings in and to the north, blocking Mehr's line of sight, he can be just south of the window, so he's almost opposite the door.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14793
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:54 am

It opens outwards, and the hinges are on the north side, so itll create a little cover vs the north when you open it.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15186

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:25 am

Korrik has a dart palmed in each hand, below the edge of the boat.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply