MotBM

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 13, 2018 8:11 am

Art steps forward into the doorframe and the strange, twitching, dog-like creature flares a ridge of small of blunt spines along its spine and growl-whines and bounces around a bit. Through the doorway, he sees a room lined with bookshelves, containing books of many shapes and sizes and bindings. It is dimly lit from a brazier hanging from a long chain in the middle of the ceiling that emits a pleasant-smelling smoke.

The 'dog' wags its tail and leaps towards Art, who suddenly finds himself staring at a rather large, lolling tongue and more needle-like teeth than he can remember seeing in a mouth...

((Make a DEX save please, NSF))

A young woman, wearing absolutely nothing steps into the far doorway, about 40 feet away. She appears to be in her early twenties, with long, flowing hair. Warryn and Dain feel a powerful magical aura emanating from her.

"...Can we pet the dog?"
"...His name is Fracture-of-the-Bone and he's not really a dog. I'm not sure what he is, really. Be careful with him, he can be a little enthusiastic. But he swears he is harmless, and he is so adorably cute don't you think?"

But tell me, who are you? I so rarely get to talk to visitors these days! I haven't even had letters since- "

She stops suddenly.

"Well, never mind her. Tell me about your travels! You must have seen many exciting things!"

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun May 13, 2018 11:42 am

Dain looks at her with a wary curiosity. What is it with these human type women and their lack of clothes? The sense of power associated with this one makes him leery.
"My name is Dain, Mistress. Pardon my boldness, but who....WHAT are you?"

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11815

Re: MotBM

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 am

Aura tries to relax... Somewhat at the sense of... Normalcy? Was this what normalcy felt like? It most definitely wasn't utterly normal, but compared to what they've seen so far, it might as well be. She's mostly just trying to overcome the fear still raging within to try and pet the... "dog". Or take some cautious steps backwards, instead.

"Ah, we've... Only just got here. My name is Aura. So far we've encounter mostly odd things, and we're looking for a way out..."

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1270
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 am

Dex Save: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4


OOO. This will be cuddly and fun.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7367
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 am

Warryn regards the naked woman and dog-creature with disdain, staying near the back of the group. After what happened with the last clothes-less human they encountered, he wasn't letting his guard down for a second.

That said, those books looked intriguing. Trying not to attract any attention, he slips over to take a closer look at the spines of the books. In particular he's searching for something relating to this "prison-labyrinth" they're stuck in, or failing that, some magical tomes he can learn from.

Investigation check: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am

The "dog" lunges at Art, it's rows of needle-teeth easily finding a gap in his heavy armor.
It hurts a lot (12 total), but only for a moment because after the initial stabbing pain, Art feels a warm sense of euphoria wash over him. The "dog" sits and looks up at him wagging its tail happily as its tongue lolls out the side of its mouth. It's really quite adorable. Probably just needs a firmer hand to keep its exuberance in check is all.

Attack: 1D4+2 = [4]+2 = 6
1D4+2 = [4]+2 = 6


((The dice were really not your friends in this!))

Dain steps forward and addresses the woman.

"My name is Dain, Mistress. Pardon my boldness, but who....WHAT are you?"

"Oh how wonderful to meet someone who does not know me! I am Chronia. My sisters and I ruled the Torn Empire once. They called us perfect, but still, we were betrayed and brought here. Apparently you can have too much of a good thing! Still, I don't mind it here. Our hostess is quite delightful. Was."

A momentary flicker of some painful emotion flashes over Chronia's face, and she casts a look at Fracture.

"Well, at least I've still got this silly mutt to keep me comfortable!"

Warryn casts a look over the library. There is a small, strange array of books, tablets and a host of unlikely items here, covered in texts from any number of strange languages, most of which are nothing like any he's ever seen before. He does spot a couple of texts in the common tongue, but they appear to be a collection of tragic romance novels written on slivers of polished coal, where the protagonists always die at the end, following a series of unlikely misunderstandings.

Aura is indecisive for a bit, before getting a grip on herself again and speaking up:

"Ah, we've... Only just got here. My name is Aura. So far we've encounter mostly odd things, and we're looking for a way out..."

"Oh my dear, that is something you are quite unlikely to find for this is the Medusa's prison, and she does not let her treasures leave! Fracture has searched, and the maze is quite secure I assure you."

Muttering under her breath, she adds: "She gets bored of them quickly enough though"

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Dain tries to remember anything about a "Chronia" or the "Torn Empire"
Arcana: 1d20+6 = [12] = 18

He gives the 'dog' an icy glare. "I prefer cats. Just steer clear of me, bucko, and we'll do fine."

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11815

Re: MotBM

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Aura, for a moment, looks as if she's about to say anything... And then shuts up, seeming to think better of it. Some gears have gotten ticking, though.

"So, you were... In the real world once, a long time ago, right? You got brought in here? But... I don't think that's how everything in here was created, right..?" she asks, as a first question- But more were probably gonna come up later... Assuming she managed to keep a control of her nerves, at least. Really, this was just... Unfitting of a paladin.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14671

Re: MotBM

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 am

Ah'sereen shakes off the daydream and hurries after the others. She watches the strange woman carefully....

Insight: 1D20+9 = [9]+9 = 18
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1270
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 am

Art looks at his wounds, and wonders why it doesn't hurt and why he doesn't care.

He will move his shield so that it is between him and the dog, but since he is feeling so good he doesn't move away. However he still doesn't think it would be good to be bitten, so he makes sure he is ready to dodge the dog if it tries to play/bite again.

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed May 23, 2018 4:33 am

Dain glances over at Art and does a double take when he sees his wounds. "What the hell?! What happened to you?! The mutt? That tears it! Keep that animal away from me or I'll freeze his mouth shut!" He gestures warningly toward the 'dog', ready to fire a ray of frost if it starts coming for him.

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1270
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed May 23, 2018 6:16 am

"Yeah, it bit me. With the razor like teeth. But no worries, it doesn't hurt." he states with a bemused look on his face.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7367
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:33 am

Shaking his head in disgust at the sappy romance books, Warryn turns back to the matter at hand.

"Oh my dear, that is something you are quite unlikely to find for this is the Medusa's prison, and she does not let her treasures leave! Fracture has searched, and the maze is quite secure I assure you."

"I take it that us being unintentional prisoners will not work in our favour, then? We were hoping to appeal to her good side, seeing how one of her "treasures" tricked us into entering without our - or her - consent."

As he talks, Warryn is extra careful to make sure someone is between him and the "dog". At all times...

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 am

NotStickFigures wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:16 am
"Yeah, it bit me. With the razor like teeth. But no worries, it doesn't hurt." he states with a bemused look on his face.
Dain gives him the fish eye again. " Are you daft, man?! Or maybe you LIKE the idea of being shredded? I thought it was only humans and orcs who got their kicks that way! Are you sure you're a full blooded dwarf?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Dain ponders his arcane knowledge of the Torn Empire or someone called Chronia, but besides the name probably having something to do with time he doesn't know of anything magical relating to them. His attention is soon taken by Art's odd reaction to the twitching, slavering "dog" creature that seems to be constantly watching the group with its creepy little beady eyes.

Art is quite taken with the ugly little scamp.

Aura still can't quite shake off the terrible anxiety, but manages to struggle through a question:
"So, you were... In the real world once, a long time ago, right? You got brought in here? But... I don't think that's how everything in here was created, right..?"
"The REAL world? I am not certain I follow you... This place is as real as anywhere else I have seen."

Ah'Sereen watches the woman. There's something a little glazed about her expression, almost like she's slightly drunk.
((Give me a perception check too please))

Art is quite surprised at the lack of pain, even as his injuries continue to bleed. He feels pretty great. He steps away from the happy pup a little bit, although honestly, being bitten again really wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to him. His lack of response kind of freaks Dain out, and he prepares a Ray of Frost just in case. Chronia frowns at him.

"What do you think you're doing!?"

Warryn interjects.

"I take it that us being unintentional prisoners will not work in our favour, then? We were hoping to appeal to her good side, seeing how one of her "treasures" tricked us into entering without our - or her - consent."
"You found a way inside without her knowledge? Are you certain? No... That cannot be true. Fracture tells me no-one has come or gone from this place in centuries! My sisters and I were the last guests to be brought here."

She frowns at the dog again who lets out a growl-whine and judders slowly towards Warryn with a low growl. He doesn't get too close, and doesn't make any aggressive moves, but it's clear enough that he doesn't like Warryn.

"Oh dear... He can be quite moody sometimes. Perhaps you should come back another time... God knows I have plenty of it."

Chronia leans casually against the far doorframe.

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Muttering under his breath something about "crazy people", Dain backs out of the room, warily keeping an eye on Fracture. He's still keeping a Ray of Frost ready until he's backed out of the door he came in and around the corner, out of the creepy dog's sight.

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1270
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 am

Art asks Chronia a question, feeling this room is strangely safe. "Hey, do you know where we can go in here to find some art? Not me, Art, but like a picture or painting. I work of art? We promised to find a painting for someone and we have not run across any. Actually most of the places we have seen as we explored here, have been pretty sparsely furnished."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 am

"Have you tried the gallery? I hear it's quite nice to visit for short periods, but you're not supposed to take food inside."

Dain backs up and out of the room until he's back in the room with the statue head.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11815

Re: MotBM

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:43 am

"Right... Sorry, this is all just... Confusing. Which direction would the gallery be..?"

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1270
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 am

Art nods when Aura asks her question, "Yes, can we get specific directions?"

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7367
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

"You found a way inside without her knowledge? Are you certain? No... That cannot be true. Fracture tells me no-one has come or gone from this place in centuries! My sisters and I were the last guests to be brought here."

"We entered through a painting, with a portal activated by moonlight. But then we lost our exit after a chained human woman escaped and closed it behind us. Not that I was stupid enough to free her - that award goes to this lot. I'd already been kidnapped by a ghost boy and taken to some bird-brained mechanical peacock."

"And if the Medusa does know we're here, then she's neglected to let us know about it..."


As the dog growls at him, Warryn cautiously backs away, following the others out of the room.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 am

((Warryn, make a persuasion check please))

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7367
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 am

Per check: 1D20+0 = [1]+0 = 1

Warryn's a bit distracted by the growling mutt :lol:

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14050
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:31 pm

"That is not what Fracture tells me. A shame, that you have succumbed to such a strange delusion... You do not look old."

She gives Warryn a sympathetic look as he back away from the toothy dog-thing. He could swear that it almost grins at him...

Chronia turns back to Dain and Aura.

"Specific directions... My dears, you do understand that I am a prisoner in this place? But even if I could leave, I simply would not. This place is a marvel! I would not wish to rush it towards its end. So much of this place is so very fragile. No, it is far better that I stay.

I do know the general layout of the place though. Psathyrella used -" the name seems to catch in her throat and she pauses, blinking a little harder for a moment.

"Well... I have heard about much of it. I believe you can reach her by passing north through the Almery to the east. Or, if you prefer to take the scenic route, you can go through the gallery to the west and then north and east through the Archives. I miss hearing about the wondrous things in this place! Perhaps you might come back some time and tell me stories of the things you see? I would so love to see you all again!"

Fracture growls.

"Oh! Don't be jealous, you! Your stories are so... nondescript!"

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5040
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Dain is still muttering under his breath while the others make their way out of the room.
"We've got to get out of here and soon! Did you hear how daft she was?! She WANTS to stay! Either this place was populated with a bunch of crazy people...or it makes them that way! And that 'dog'! There's something unwholesome about that beast. "

Post Reply