Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Mid-afternoon, more or less at the same time on the roads leading into Stenrek

West gate – Lurn

A large figure taking slow, distance eating strides comes into sight of Stenrek’s western gates. He’s passed a few people on the way to town but hasn’t passed anyone heading away from town today. As he approaches the towns low walls he can see three figures, two in armor, standing outside the gate and beyond them more smoke than he would normally expect from different points in town on such a warm spring afternoon.

North gate – Vesri

Working her way around the outer walls a woman with an impressive mohawk, seemingly in a bit of a hurry, fluidly glides into sight of the northern gate. A single armored guard is on duty but rather than facing outward seems to be completely focused on something going on inside the gate.

South gate – Joe

A giant, colorful bird seems to have latched onto a person in the distance, likely drawn be the figure’s bright red head gear.
Taking quick steps a brightly hatted halfing eyes the walls of Stenrek and its southern gates. She notices that there aren’t any guards outside the wall and can’t make out much except it seem that the gate is half closed, but doesn’t seem to be in the process of either opening or closing.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Vesri approaches the guard.

"Hey. Aren't you meant to be watching the road? ...Which is this way."

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15328
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:58 pm

The halfling looks at her parrot and speaks to it telepathically (thanks to find familar). Ruby, Ah need yer eyes fer a wee bit. She uses her action to see through the senses of her bird. I want ye ta fly ov'r ta gate n see what be goin on. Suuurv'y the area if need'd The bird takes off and flies over the gate.
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:00 pm

The guard startles at Vesri's comment, turns and half pulls her sword. From where Vesri is standing she can past the guard in through the gate to where it appears three other guards in very involved in a fist fight. With each other. A fourth appears to be sleeping on a chair. Looking over her shoulder as she follows your gaze she tries to block your view.

"Gate's closed. Go round and try another gate."

---

Joe's colorful bird flies up towards the gate and sees... no guards at all at the gate. There are people moving around the streets, some laying on the streets. A few buildings look to have smoke rising from them but aren't on fire.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:10 pm

"What? No. Look, I don't care what's going on, I just want to get to the Dancing Goat. It's right there and I'm cold.

...The gate fee is the same as usual, right? Couple of silver?"

((That's a bribe)).

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:19 pm

The guard grips and ungrips the hilt of her sword nervously,

"Gate fee? Cold?"

She looks up at the clear sky and grimaces at a meaty thwacking sound behind her.

((Give me a persuasion))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15328
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:23 pm

The halfing sighs. Come back 'ere, thar ain't nothin' 'e can do 'ere without breakin' in. Lets find us anoth'r gate. The halfling follows the cities walls to the west gate after her bird comes back, her senses back to normal.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 pm

((Gate's half open, if you want to you can just walk in.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 pm

((Well, this is an auspicious start!))

"Yeah. The weather is cold. I'm cold. It's cold. I have a cold. Last time I came through, there was a fee to get in. Come on, take it, I just want to get to the bar and dry out a bit."
Persuasion: 1D20 = [20] = 20


She raises an eyebrow at the brawl.

"That anything I need to worry about?"

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:40 pm

The guard seems more confused than anything as you press a few silver pieces into her free hand.

She turns and looks at the other guards fighting on the ground with you, only two now as one seems to have lost since you arrived.

"I...I don't know? We started our watch just fine. They had their lunch and I was 'bout to start mine and they just..." She shrugs and waves at them with a hand full of silver coins. "The watch captain just fell asleep over there... I think he pissed himself."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:44 pm

"Your captain piss himself often?"

Vesri sighs.

"All right, do you need help breaking this up?"

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:54 pm

As you make your offer the fight seemingly ends on its own and the guard stands and raises his arms and bloody knuckles before his eyes roll into his skull and he falls out of view.

"He is a stickler. Never even come in a minute late with a smudge on his armor.

I can't leave my post. I'm going to try and wake my captain. Go in I guess.

After checking on the downed brawlers she approaches the elf captain sleeping on the chair and shakes him gently to no response.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 pm

((He fell out of view? Where are they fighting?))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm

((Just inside the walls, you could see them through the gate and he went down backwards to a spot that was obscured to you where you were standing outside))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:02 pm

((Aaaaah, ok. I thought I'd misunderstood and they were like ON the wall or something))

Vesri hangs back a moment, concerned that the Captain isn't waking up.

"Is he a drinker?"

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15328
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Rodgeir wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 pm
((Gate's half open, if you want to you can just walk in.))
(Nay, she isn't going to break the law just for a minor inconvience)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm

((That would have been terribly comic))

"Not that I know of. He is not big on fraternizing with...well not elves."

----

As Joe comes around she spots a lone figure coming in on the road towards the gate and then a trio outside it.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

((Oh! Are they all elves?))

"Oh. Well, do you want to move him somewhere? What's wrong with him?"

Vesri moves in closer to the Captain and gives his shoulder a shake. She'll try to check if he's breathing ok, and if there's any signs that he's been injured or poisoned or something.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15328
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm

She goes over to the gate to the guards. " 'ello maties! Tha south gate be 'alf op'n. Ah saw none o ye guards ov'r thar. Ye may want ta 'end one ov'r 'for some unsavo'ry n less 'onest ta come ov'r n yer city.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:02 pm

((Nope, just the captain. The woman is human, one of the guards fighting was probably half elf.))

"He had lunch, sat down and went to sleep. Jebry, the won that won the fist fight is a nice guy but he started picking a fight with Den and Garin."

He seems to be breathing, snoring slightly. Doesn't smell like booze and doesn't respond to your shake.

((Med check if you want more details))
-----
The two guards both stop talking with a third person who has their back to you and gawk at your parrot. One leans in and whispers something to the other guard who nods as both slowly start backing away from the third person in merchant attire, not taking their eyes off of the parrot as they push the gate doors closed. You hear a heavy thunking sound once they are closed.

The other person presses their knuckles to their forehead,

"No! In the name of everything holy I had just convinced these drunk idiots I wasn't a ghost."

He turns to glare at you but instead meets your parrot eye to eye before slowly working his way down to find your eyes.

"Well Abyss. They are never going to let me in now."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14388
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:06 pm


User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15328
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:56 pm

"*Squack* Everything holly!"
"Da feck?! I dinna see why they would do tha!" She looks at the merchant "These 'ere seem ta be an incompet't lout! Why on da green earth would they think ye be some ghost?"

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11653
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Lurn trundles down the road, waving to the figures at the gate as he comes closer, "Halloo! There look to be many fires today, might this town be holding a festival?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1655

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:44 am

As you get closer to examine him you can confirm that guard captain has pissed himself. You would say that he was just sleeping off a bender but the lack of alcohol smell and seemingly sudden onset probably means poisoning or maybe something...magicie?
-----
The merchant glares at Joe and the parrot in turn before answering,

"I told them I had been gone for a month and they interrupted me before I could finish what I was saying. They demanded to know if I was a zombie or a ghost. At first I thought they were giving me a hard time but after a few minutes talking with them I could tell they actually thought I was a ghost. I go through this gate dozens of times a year and I know those guards. I'd say they'd been drinking but-"

He is interrupted by someone inside yelling,

"BE GONE FEATHERED DEMON!" Followed by a bucket of clear liquid coming over the wall and spreading its contents on the ground, with a little splashing across the merchant's back and neck.

The merchant visibly needs to contain his anger as he ducks his head and wipes the liquid from the back of his neck. Then he notices Lurn and hisses,

"Oh for the love of the god of light, I hope they didn't see him coming."

Hearing Lurn's question,

"Hey yourself. No festivals today. I have no idea what is going on in there, just got here. Going to try a different gate, good luck convincing these idiots to let you in."

He grumbles, puts his backpack back on looks to the north and then the south seeming to judge his options before walking past Joe and heading south along the walls.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11653
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 am

Lurn frowns slightly at the merchant's reaction, but shrugs and approaches the gate, calling out, "Halloo the gatehouse! A traveling cleric seeks entry!"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Post Reply