Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Jolly snatches the gold before Ves can change her mind and slips it into a pocket. He takes another drink and coughs a bit more and grunts,

"Thanks. Feel free to wake me up anytime you need things hauled around."

He sits back down,

"What you gonna do now? Everyone's still napping, but if you're looking to bed down you can use my cot up there."

He gestures up the stairs with his chin. He looks at Lurn,

"Ain't gonna fit you Blue but the floor is okay. I softened it up myself."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:04 pm

"I'm not sure now really. I think the temple district is worth going to and probably the guard barracks. If nothing else, we can leave the relevant folk a note explaining what's happened, and then maybe help anyone who's passed out in the street. It's too cold for some folk to sleep outside. Especially if it was unexpected...

I'll sleep tomorrow, but I could use a break and a bite to eat if you don't mind my company for a little longer!"

Ves grins at the guy, knowing full well how annoying he finds her and sits down on a crate to have a bite to eat.

((I'd like to take a short rest to recover some HP, but I'm happy to forego the long rest in favour of checking on the temples and the barracks.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm

((We'll be without healing spells if we don't finish a long rest and reset Lurn's spell slots, but up to you.))

"The temple district will likely have clerics present who can tend to the people there. We may want to start with other areas. Though with this mist, it will be near impossibly to spot any who require aid."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm

((I guess we could rest at the temple? Ves mostly just wants to spread the word about what's happening and make sure folk aren't all going to die/become zombies. Saying that, I dont think Ves understands Lurn's magic, and probably won't realise he needs to sleep to get his abilities back.))

"Thats true. Want to try the barracks first then? It doesn't feel right sleeping in this.

...bloody hate cities."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:38 pm

"We can indeed travel to the barracks. I will unfortunately only be able to stabilise the seriously injured, though, without sleep to recover."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 am

Jolly picks at the corner of his eye as he listens to the exchange before emptying his mug and trudging up the stairs to his room. He comes back with a canvas bag and a largish water bag over a shoulder that is only half full. He tosses the canvas bag to Ves.

"Breads all I got an' your welcome to eat your fill. You jaw's gonna give out after about three bites anyhow. I got some piss poor beer here." He gives the water bag a shake. "Only got the one mug though."

He sits back down and puts the 'water' bag by him on the stairs.

Jolly yawns and stares at Lurn for an uncomfortable stretch before looking at Ves.

"I ain't a cleric but gotta say that Blue's got a point bout resting. That-" he points at Ves' side with the long open wound, "looks like it should be tended to. It ain't that cold out there, just damned wet. I spent nights asleep on those streets in a hell of a lot colder weather an' I only lost a couple toes."

The mist inside the warehouse is also rising, it is over nearly everyone on the floor and some of those slumped against the walls.
----
Back in the the shop after about an hour Jaq and Joe are startled when the girl suddenly sits up with a gasp and looks around the dark mist filled shop. She sees the fallen shapes around her and screams, in Elvish,

"GUARDS!"

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15498
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:33 am

"Please calm down lass. Ah am glad ye'd be okay. It be a mess out thar, n some people were tryin' ta choas to thar advant'ge. Now tha yer up we can take ye 'ome."

Persuade: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 am

The elf girl focuses her eyes on Joe and screams the same word again while scrambling backwards on her back.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15498
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 am

Joe raises up her hands, showing that she has no weapons. She looks at Jaq. "I dinnae think she'd be und'rstandin' me."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 am

"I'll be fine. Got some stuff I'm my bag to take care of that. Thanks to Lurn here it looks worse than it is."

((Ves will take a short rest while they sit around the warehouse, during which time she'll eat, have a bit of the terrible beer, and see to her injury:

Spending 1HD:
Hit dice: 1D8+1 = [1]+1 = 2
))

((It's plus 1 additional HP from the cooks utensils if she can use that?))

"Eh. Well it's not great, but it's better than nothing I guess."

((Ves is back to 6hp I believe))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am

Jolly shrugs and pours himself a generous mug of beer empties it a single long draw before refilling it and watching Ves cook. He sips at it absently while appearing to consider something.

"Wha'd you say you did? You don't look like a cook."

He seems to remember the quiet blue giant at that point and offers him the now half full mug.

"And you ain't a local, Blue. What brought you to town?"

((Ves gets that extra 1 HP.))
---
The girl spies Jaq and yells, without pausing,
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Ves looks up

"Not sure I did. I'm a guide. Take people through the wilds safely. Some folk want to go hunting and need someone to keep a camp ready, or run the game out for them. They tip better if they eat well, and I've always been decent enough at it. Nice herbs out there too. Here, try this."

She offers him a share of the food. Him and Lurn (which is +1 HP for him too if he spends a hit die).

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:36 pm

"A pilgrimage of sorts, showing to the world that the Lord of the Dead does not claim souls before their time is due. To that end, Though there are several sects which serve him, clerics of my order are specialised in keeping the ill and injured alive moreso than killing. In truth, we are perhaps more adept in the healing arts than most orders, though we can only show the full extent of this power upon those who are on the border of my lord's domain."

((Not spending any hit dice, only down 1hp anyway.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 am

Jolly takes the offered food and chews it slowly, finishing the mug of beer Lurn wasn't interested in.

"Ya, that's better than week old bread. You do much north of Stenrek in the foot hills an' forests south of Thalmiir range?"

To Lurn, with maybe a bit of an edge,

"Huh. Known a good many claimed before their time an' didn't see any clerics running to help."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:54 am

"What is a mortal to know of when their time is due? If it was truly not their time, my lord would have ensured a healer would be present to preserve their lives, as he did with guiding me to the western gate where I preserved the lives of several guards, rather than allowing me entrance through the south."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:48 am

"Convenient that. Too bad you didn't make it through the slums last time the wasting plague hit to help all those kids, but sure am glad those guards' time hasn't come."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:26 am

"And yet none of the other gods saved them either. No cleric who served the god of life preserved their lives. Mortals hold such high praise for a god whose own domain must be ensure by its polar opposite, and blame the one whose disciples simply cannot be everywhere. Death simply comes when it is time. If you don't like that, go become a healer for yourself. You will not save every sick child in the world either."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:27 am

Jolly just stares at Lurn for a very long time,

"I got no praise for any of them and there is plenty of blame to go round for gods and the rest of us. But sure seems like death takes a special interest in the poor."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 am

Ves listens quietly to the argument while she sorts her wound out.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15498
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 am

Joe looks at Jaq, hoping he would translate.

...not sure what I can do asides wait on sticks

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:33 am

((Ves can respond to Jolly's question if she wants, presumably that conversation happened first. Joe is kinda stuck until Jaq responds/translates.))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1416
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 am

Jaq will translate...and will try to take over the conversation and he knows she might be a bit more ok with dealing with him.
In elvish, "Your safe child. Some brigands did try to take advantage of the magical problems the city is having, but we took care of them, and you are safe at home. Your family, and your guards, should awaken soon. And we will stay until they do, so nothing else bad happens."
If she is coherent enough to ask questions, he will answer them and explain the magical issue with the water and that it is now getting corrected.
He will also check if she speaks common, and if so, will change back to that for Joe's convenience.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14668
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am

Rodgeir wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 am
"Ya, that's better than week old bread. You do much north of Stenrek in the foot hills an' forests south of Thalmiir range?"
"Bits and pieces. I go where the work is, but aye, I know that region pretty well."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11745
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:36 am

"Then you wish for the harsher knowledge? Some believe the gods have larger concerns than who lives and who dies. The lord of the dead is busy overseeing those who are already dead, not the living. For the sake of those not yet within his domain, and to represent him in this world, he grants power to those who would serve as his clerics, as do all the gods. That is, of course, simply assuming mortals may understand the minds of gods.

There is one undeniable truth, though; There are simply not enough clerics to heal everyone, nor to be in every place."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1921

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am

The girl calms once Jaq starts talking and is quite confused by the magical issues he brings up. She takes a moment more to look at her surroundings and takes in the situation a bit more calmly. She moves to one of the soldiers near her and slaps him. Getting no response she moves to the other soldier and slaps her. She is not pleased, nor does she seem inclined to speak common but she does understand it.

In elvish:

"We will wait here a short time more then you will take me home and these," she gestures at the soldiers, "can just lay here and make their own way. I am sure my grandfather is worried sick about me. What is your name?"

Outside on the street people can be heard talking, yelling and moving around and more lights are becoming visible.

((She isn't going to speak common, so we can assume Jaq can just translate everything for ease. If that is okay?))

---
((To Ves))

Jolly sucks at something in his teeth a bit before saying,

"You ever hear about some ruins of an old monk place on the eastern edge of the range?"
---
((To Lurn))

"Always enough clerics for those that can pay."

He refills his mug and offers it to Lurn and Ves again.

"Ain't your problem Blue and I got no problem with you."

Post Reply