Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18454

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Kroshav kind of wants to see the flood if one is coming. That's something to tell folks about.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:45 am

Ves' light blinks suddenly out as she judges distances and how much time she thinks they have.

This side of the Cut almost all slightly sloping down from what she can see. She pulls out the goblin map and doesn't find anything indicating shelter or danger immediately around them on the map. As she considers the map the rumbling from up the ravine increases and she can see something that looks like a shifting churning wall approaching.

Jolly whistles quietly as the floor water approaches, fast but not nearly as fast as expected. It takes it a few minutes to reach where they are standing, the leading edge a scouring wave of mud and debris hits boulders in the ravine sending them bouncing along. Entire trees have been swept up and spray from impacts litter the party with wet dirt, pebbles and bits of plants. Another surge of water behind the first sends the water level up to nearly 20 feet, then 30. Parts of the ravine wall around the party are quickly undermined and fall into the dark water, taking trees and slightly expanding the Cut. After only two minutes the water level stabilizes and then begins to lower, holding steady around 10 feet.

The wall of rain looks to only be a few minutes behind the flood and Ves turns her attention back to the south and shelter. Taking the lead she jogs into the woods searching for a place that might keep them dry. A few hundred feet in she spots a slight rise covered in brambles under a few larger trees, approaching she can see there are a few open spaces in the brambles they could spread out in, though not right next to each other but close enough. Throwing a cover between the brambles should keep the rain off. Probably.

Lightning illuminates the woods around them again and again as the drenching heavy rain finally catches up.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18454

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:36 am

"Woohoo! Did you SEE that!? Man I'm glad we're all across safe!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2445
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:46 am

"Yeah, that was impressive. It uprooted entire trees." Jaq looks up at the lightning, "It's gonna be a long night. Loud and wet."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12995
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:12 am

"I'm glad it didn't rain the night we camped in there. We wouldn't have been roused and out of the ravine before we could make it to safety. Not without realising the danger we were in ahead of time."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17124
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am

Ves hurries to get a shelter up before the ground gets too wet.

"Yup, really cool! Which is what tonight will be if we dont get our camp set up! Give me a hand here."

She throws a guy rope to whoever's paying attention and encourages a little bit of hustle from the group.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16980
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Joe helps by trying to keep everybody dry with shape water,

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12995
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Getting to the bramble field and setting to help Ves with setting up their shelter, Lurn whispers to the brambles with his Speech of Beast and Leaf, not really expecting them to be able to do anything though, "I ask that you remain strong through this storm, and provide us what shelter you may beneath these covers we can place."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:45 am

Tying rain covers onto prickly branches the group hastily create three small areas of cover within the brambles. The wind whistles between the mass of thorn covered branches but most of the storm is blocked.

It is still looking to be a long cold and wet night as any fire would be risky in the tight confines. Lightning lights up the forest around the bramble patch every few seconds.

((There is room for two or so in each little gap, any preference on who is in each spot? They are only a few feet of brambles separating the gaps but moving between them is slow and potentially painful.

Anything before the watches otherwise can I get the perception rolls as usual!))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18454

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:49 am

((One member of the Big Boy Squad ™ in each, but Kroshav is willing to share with any of the smaller folks.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16980
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 am

I forgot, Joe has a two person tent that Kroshav is carrying. We can use that as a tarp of sorts to cover the blind spots a bit. And since he’s carring her stuff she’ll bunk with Kroshav.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17124
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:10 am

Ves doesn't care who she bunks with. Sleep is sleep after all and she'll let the others pick.

"It's trail rations for tonight's meal I'm afraid. Can't risk a fire in the space, but it probably wouldnt hold anyway. Keep each other warm tonight and if anyone feels theyre too cold, wake me up. If your bunkmate gets too cold, help them or wake me up. We should be ok for groundwater, but pay attention to it anyway. No sense getting flooded."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Jolly opts to crawl into an area with Jaq leaving Lurn with Ves.

After an hour the lightning storm has moved on but the rain remains just a tad shy of torrential. Even on the higher ground it is getting damp. Joe keeps her and Kroshav's spot dry though (until she falls asleep).

((Watch rolls please, not much for visibility and hard to hear with the rain but you are well hidden.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12995
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Perception;Disadvantage?: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26
1D20 = [9] = 9
+7 = 16
Not sure if the environment is enough to have disadvantage, so I made two rolls in case. No disadvantage is 26, disadvantage is 16.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17124
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 pm

((should be +3, not +2))

Perception: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:37 am

No having much else to do the party eats their rations and beds down to the occasional sound of thunder and the ongoing drumming of rain on tarp, tree and ground.

Lurn sits and takes his watch. He is alert and manages to catch glimpses of small animals - rabbits, racoons, opossum, larger lizards and snakes - seeking shelter in the briar patch with the party. All pause on discovering the party but none leave. A particularly drowned looking raccoon goes into Kroshav and Joe's spot and settles beside them. Soon there are half a dozen more raccoons around the dragonborn and halfling. Lurn figures the various animals are likely to react before he does to any danger. Using a long stick he wakes Ves and disturbing a hedgehog.

Ves awakens to find the camp filled with wet animals trying to stay dry. Most are content to simply stay put but a hedgehog is using the opportunity to fill up on worms creeping to the surface. Everything seems to have found a place when an hour into her watch animals, and party members in their sleep, begin to shift. Her nose alerts her to at least on skunk entering the cover. She doesn't spot it but knows it is on the north side of her due to the wind. Lovely. She wakes Jaq, poking him with a stick.

((oh and a wisdom save from Jaq as well as perception please.

And a wisdom save from everyone, except Jaw, to see how well you slept. If you don't beat a 10 please roll a con save.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17124
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:32 am


User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16980
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:32 am

Wis [1d20] = 19
Joe slept like a baby with her furry blankets.


(Can I make one a familiar? Using cat stats for them. Once she gets components she needs she’ll cast the spell.)

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12995
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:45 am

Wis Save: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
Con Save: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
((I'm going to assume "beat a 10" means 11 or better))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18454

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:56 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2445
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am

[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=229107]Wisdom Roll: 1D20 = [14] = 14
[/url
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=229108]Perception: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4
[/url

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Jaq
► Show Spoiler
Jostled awake Jaq sees Ves through the branches and then he gets a strong whiff of the skunk, it's almost enough to forget the dull pain in his hand. Looking around, cloak over his face, he sees the gathered animals hunkering in with them. An opossum gives him a judging look but eventually decides he is harmless. He does his best to keep watch but between the skunk and all the moving animals he doesn't do a great job and before he knows it the sky starts to brighten a bit. The rain has slackened but not stopped completely though some animals, including the skunk decide to move on.

Everyone else, excepting Joe, doesn't get much rest. The only one that seems to be the worse for the rough night is Jolly. Jolly looks wet, tired and miserable but doesn't voice any complaint.

The raccoons, having grown bored, have begin exploring Kroshav and Joe's items. The hedgehog is nowhere to be seen.

Jolly Wis save and con save: 1D20 = [6] = 6
1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7


((New day! It is still lightly raining but the storm is past.

@Burns, sure but how are you going to accomplish it? Animal handling to pet or?))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16980
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Joe pulls out some rations for a coon to eat and cleans it off with presigigtation while it’s distracted before pets. Or there was an attempt to keep it calm.

Animal handling [1d20] = 11

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5074

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:21 pm

((Roll with advantage for the snacks.

Oh and can I get a pair d20s please.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16980
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 pm


Post Reply