Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:15 pm

After a moment Arbelm says loudly to her squad and the wizards,

"Start getting ready to move back to the main camp. Don't know what is happening there but we are here to make sure nothing happens to them." She points at the wizards.

The wizards seem mostly irritated by the interruption but leave their circle and start moving south. Before they can go far another soldier becomes visible jogging from the north. As she get closer a wide grin on her face causes Arbelm to move to intercept her,

"What is happened?" The corporal barks at the soldier, who stops and in a voice on the verge of a laugh responds, "Dire skunk ma'am. Big one. Got three of the northwest patrol. Got'm in the sense they won't be sleeping upwind of no one." At this Dama guffaws and a few others chuckle. The soldier continues to the main camp and Arbelm, shaking her head, waves the wizards back to work. After another quarter hour three very unhappy looking individuals pass by the squad and their presence lingers long after they've gone. One the of wizards calls for them, behind an arm covering his mouth, to go visit the neophytes at their wagon to help with the smell.

Just before lunch the wizard in charge tilts her head again and says loudly,

"Now. They are ready, we are ready. Give us room." Arbelm seems unsure what they exact plan is but has the squad spread out, being told to move further out three times before the wizards are satisfied. The wizards all clear out as well except the one that Lurn spoke with who begins saying a long series of musical words next to the circle they've drawn. Nothing happens for a long pause as he finishes and then a brilliant flash of blue/green leaps upward from the ground to make a half sphere of light about 10 ft tall. The moment the light appears people start appearing in and then around the sphere and then around them and then around them, and then around them. There are some collisions as people appear and seem to have some forward momentum. Some, those going outwards, continue going outward and others head inwards and bounce of others. As suddenly as it sprang to life the sphere of light disappears leaving only a crowd of heavily armed and armored soldiers wearing the insignia of the Duchy's army. A woman starts shouting orders and the crowd spreads out before moving general south to the camp. "Well that was something." Jesp mutters. Jolly merely curses his agreement.

The process happens twice more over an hour, once with more soldier and once with several handcarts full of supplies. The wizard waves that they are done and Arbelm informs the squad they are free for a couple of hours before she wants to see them back here for drilling.
---
((Perception rolls from Joe and Ves, at disadvantage please.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16886
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm


User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:34 pm


User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2350
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Jaq watches the quite powerful magic with an approving nod, and keeps at a distance, in case anything does go wrong.
"If those mages can do that, they will be great allies in any battle." he states to whomever is nearby as he watches.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

"Wonder how far they came in from. Not easy to do in a pinch, but if you've got the time, can see how that's a handy trick!"

Kroshav will keep an eye out for Enrud, but otherwise sticks with his friends and gets to know the other members of the squad.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:50 pm

"Well, that's certainly an army. An army to face an army, I suppose." When they're given leave, Lurn lets Kroshav, Jaq, and Jolly know that he's going to track down the wizard neophytes, then heads out.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:33 am

Kroshav scratches his head.

"These folk don't seem the bad sort, but they are actually picking up anyone they can find. Not all folks are familiar with firbolgs, wouldn't want someone thinking you're a bugbear and putting a spear in you. I'd feel better if Jaq went along?
If anyone gets uppity, he can show them his ears."
, the big dragonborn suggests.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2350
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 am

“That is a good thought. If you let me I’ll walk along with you.”

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18197

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 am

Kroshav, having hit his quota for verbalizing good thoughts for the day, heads over to check on Charlie, brushing him down, checking for injury, checking his shoes, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 am

Joe keeps an eye on her feet and the step ahead but Ves is more aware and is pretty sure she hears someone moving along behind them. When she looks over her shoulder she doesn't spot anyone meaning they are trying to keep up in the forest.
---
((If Kroshav or anyone else in the army group wants to roll intelligence to see if they recognize the squads' coming in's insignias.))

The two large groups of soldiers that came through the portal begin to come together and assemble at the barricade to the east, several groups of conscripts joining them but none of the Guard. A pair of the army officers do get some horses from the Guard though as do four of the wizards that had been involved in making the circle. In total they look to have around 400, maybe 450, troops and about two thirds of the wagons from the conscript camp.

While Kroshav meets up to check on Charlie, who has been well taken care of and doesn't seem the worse for wear after what was probably a tough couple days of walking, the barricade is cleared and the small army begins marching east. The army leaves less than a hundred conscripts behind along with perhaps 30 Guard members. Kroshav doesn't see Enrud but he is pretty short so maybe he is behind something or someone?

Lurn, Jaq and Jolly all head to the camp and after asking twice are able to find the wizard cart. No one tries to kill Lurn though several people stop what they doing to gawk at him. As they approach the cart there is a pungent and familiar smell of dire skunk and they spot three frazzled looking youths and two of the wizards from earlier, one being the one who was apparently doing the actual casting for the portal. One of the youths sees the trio coming and after conferring with her companions moves forward to greet them with friendly words that don't match her tone,

"Hello, how may we help you?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Ves quietly mutters to Joe: "We're being followed. Someone keeping put of sight in the trees."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:09 am

Facing the young woman who approached them, Lurn gives a friendly nod, "I've got some magic armour with me, but don't know exactly what it is; The quartermaster agreed that it should be properly identified before I hand it over to him. Is there anybody free to manage the identification?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 am

"Identification? Mory, thats you." She turns and walks away with a bit of skip in her step while one of her companions trudges forward and says,

"Hello, how may we help you? Wait...ya you want something to be identified? Lemme see it." Assuming it is produced Mory pokes at it and says, "You sure it is magic? Looks pretty normal to me. Whatever." His tone goes flat as he clearly begins repeating something from memory, "Since you are going to give it to the quartermaster the service is provided free of charge, be aware that we are not liable for any mis-identifications or curses. Agreed?"

He begins rooting around in his pockets.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:51 am

"Making sure it's not cursed was... Rather the point of getting it identified. Is that not how this works?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 am

"Not always. Usually. Never had a problem myself but someone must of since they make us say it every time." He pulls a badly mangled feather out then pats at his chest before pulling a small leather pouch up the front of his shirt by a thick string around his neck. He opens it, peers inside and puts the feather behind his ear as he pulls out a rather large, shining marble.

"You still in or what? Its going to be about ten minutes. Tips appreciated."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 am

"Well, I'll trust that you are capable, then... How much would you usually expect for a tip?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:34 am

He lowers his voice and casts a furtive look to the wizards,

"Enough to buy a drink when we get home?"

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16886
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 am

Joe whispers back ”O course we are. What ye think we do?”

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 am

Lurn chuckles, then reaches for his coin pouch and produces a single gold coin - none too stealthily - which he hands to the young man, "I imagine you could each have a drink with that, unless you frequent far more expensive places than I know of... That said, I don't know of many drinking establishments, really."

Sleight of Hand: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6

((Y'know what, that sleight of hand roll was awful, but I think that's actually perfect. Big Blue shouldn't be thinking to be sneaky about the coin, the only chance of it being obscured is if his hand happens to block the line of sight.

Deducted a gold coin from my sheet already.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:41 am

Mory gives Lurn a grin and disappears the coin into a pocket.

"Give me ten and I will get this armor identified." He takes the armor and lays it out on the grass by the wagon and sits next to it. Assuming you stick around to watch him he spend the next ten minutes tracing his finger slowly in odd patterns over the dark grey armor with the pearl while muttering to himself. His wizardly companions all ignore him. At what you expect to be exactly 10 minutes the feather behind his ear disappears and Mory's face takes on a confused look. Giving a 'just a second' gesture he stands and interrupts one of the older wizards and has a short whispered conversation, Mory pointing at the armor. Conversation over Mory returns and says,

"Well. It is magical but not like enchanted magical, I guess. It's made from adamantium and steel and is better at blocking blows sometimes. Something to do with the natural properties of adamantium? Anyhow no curses, that I could detect, so let me get that written up for you." He proceeds to write a short note describing the armor and it's properties before burning a little symbol in the corner. "Only valid with the quartermaster for a week I think."

((Adamantine armor - turns crit hits into normal hits))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:37 am

"Keep going I guess, but stay alert. We should be ahead of most of the trouble, but that doesn't mean bandits and looters won't be taking advantage of weak targets when they can. "

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12866
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Lurn nods, accepting the note and the armour, "That will be good to know." Pausing before he turns away, the large man glances at his ring, "How much would it cost me to get you to identify something just for myself?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16886
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 pm

”Und’rstood. Ah donae want ta bea targ’t.” Joecontinues forward woth Ves, keeping her eyes forward.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4775

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 am

Mory looks over his shoulder at his companions and to check how closely the wizards are paying attention. The younger pair seem mildly interested and the wizards not at all. Mory clears his throat,

"Well we aren't supposed to do that kind of thing at all out here but if you meet me over by the road in say five minutes I am sure we can come up a solution?"
-----
Deciding that ignoring whatever is following them is probably the best call Ves and Joe continue westward. After a half hour Ves no longer notices the sounds of unsneaky sneaking as they are apparently left to their own company.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17055
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 am

"I don't hear anyone following any more. Doesn't mean they're not, but we should press on."

Ves keeps up the pace heading quickly towards the next town.

Post Reply