Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2796
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 am

Hearing something huge heading this way, Jaq puts the hood up on his new cloak and finds a good spot to hide that is a bit away (40 feet or so) from everyone else and has other hiding spots nearby where he can snipe and run too if needed.

Stealth with advantage from cloak: 2D20.HIGH(1)+11 = [14, 7]+11 = 25

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19750

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am

Kroshav will jam his torch into the ground to free up his weapon hand, and pulls out a javelin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5244

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 am

Cary notes that they need to get a scribe to the dwarf to get her statement..."But beyond that we seem to be out of suspects...Did you interview any of the victim's neighbors and what did they have to say?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am

The bellowing stops from the figure as the crashing draws nearer and deeper, raspier response comes from the woods to the northeast. There is definitely back and forth happening and the deeper responses are getting closer. Jaq takes the opportunity to fade into the darkness and shadows a short distance away.

Lurn hears
► Show Spoiler
At the edge of the light a larger shape, about 9 or 10 feet tall becomes visible to everyone. It stops and quiets, large head moving slowly. It has similar portions to the smaller creature, at least from what is visible.
---
"Neighbors? In the camp here? They said she was unpleasant and avoided her as much as they could but didn't hear or see anything."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Lurn tries speaking again, "You giants? Me giant-kin. Looking for long-missing littleman."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am

The larger figure responds,
► Show Spoiler
Everyone but Lurn hears a very guttural set of noises before the large figure moves into the edge of the shadowy light revealing their rough, scabby looking skin, long arms that nearly touch the ground and thin ratty strands of hair. They are nearly naked, female and almost certainly not an owlbear.

Behind it a pair of smaller figures shift into view.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 am

Lurn lowers his shield, trying to make the relaxed posture clear to the others with him, "We taking not-meat. Trying to use not-meat to find long-missing littleman- missing big gobbin. We not know meat be yours, but still touch your meat, so I can give chewy-chewy eats to you if want. I eat one to show not bad eat."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 am

The creature listens and bares an impressive set of jagged teeth and hiss growls out something and takes a deep snorting breath.
► Show Spoiler
It lifts a long arm and gestures away from where you came, further into the forest before growling menacingly. The growl is quickly joined by the other, smaller ones.

((As it stands, she doesn't seem receptive to your offer Dlover. You can give it another shot with persuasion if you like.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:58 am

"You right, not know gobbins and not-gobbins, we use close talk, but not same talk. We no more touch meat we already seen, not take food, but can't leave yet, need look for missing littleman, like ones with me. Gone near here long ago. We no want be enemy, but much want look for missing one. I give you some food as sorry for being in your land?"

Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

The larger creature stops her growling but the smaller ones keep growling until the big one barks something.

It grunts something towards Lurn, moving closer. It's blue-green skin becoming more visible as it opens it's jaws menacingly.
► Show Spoiler
The soldiers both back up and one whispers to Kroshav,

"What is he saying to that troll?"

The lead soldier shifts to holding her torch more offensively, which doesn't go unnoticed based on the collective hisses and grinding of teeth.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19750

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am

"No idea... Take it easy soldier, let Lurn say his piece."

<Ealu, we ran into what one of the soldiers says is a troll out here... I'll let you know if it goes bad and the camp needs to know.>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2796
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Jaq stays quiet and hidden. From where he is at, can he get in a decent shot if it becomes needed?

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm

"There's what, three, god's forsaken trolls here. I would think you'd be more concerned. And since when can trolls talk?"

They whisper in response but take no action.

Ealu sends back,

<Okay! What's a troll? If you die what happens to me?>

Jaq feels like he has a good shot at the 'little' troll to the northwest of his companions and a decent one at the big troll. The two smaller ones behind the big one are pretty difficult shots (3/4 cover).

((Everyone can roll me an intelligence, nature or history check on trolls. What you decide to roll will flavor the result.

Kroshav can roll a religion check on what happens to Ealu if he dies, if wants.))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2796
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm


User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19750

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:50 pm

"I'm plenty concerned, soldier, but right now the trolls are talking to my friend. It'd be rude to interrupt.", he remarks with grim humor.

"But mostly, if they're talking, they aren't using their mouths for other things... "

Trolls; Ealu: 1D20-2 = [13]-2 = 11
1D20-2 = [9]-2 = 7


<Huh... I don't know. If you go back to where you came from, glad to have met you and sorry I didn't do better, but if you stay here, could you look out for Charlie for me?>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm

Jaq knows trolls to be aggressive, erratic and hard to kill without fire or acid due to their abilities to heal quickly. Stories even detail the ability of severed limbs continuing to attack or move.

They sometimes travel in family bands but mostly are found alone. Trolls are, despite all appearances, not mindless killing machines and can use weapons and make plans but rarely choose to do so. They can speak but rarely choose to do so. The large female looks to be above average size...

Kroshav remembers trolls don't like fire and these ones probably want to eat him. They will try to close in and use their claws, which means he will get a few hacks in before they can manage! On a more spiritual side thought he has no idea what will happen to Ealu.

<Huh. Okay... Charlie says he will take care of me and you always come back eventually and feed him. How would I tell the camp about troll? They don't understand when I talk at them.>

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19750

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:22 pm

<Yeah, we should come up with some sort of code or something... if you can grab Celus or Jolly, do you know which they are? If you can get their attention, they might know that something is up and that I'm asking you to bring help... if we need it.>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm

"Okay, I give." Lurn casts Goodberry, and holds out a cupped hand with the ten marbles, "These special, look like little food, but when chew one get bigger, fill up belly. Last until next moonrise."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 am

<Grab...? I can bite them! I don't know who they are but I do know they smell kinda like you. The rounder short one with less hair and the taller one? There are two taller ones that look the same... Not the one with horns? ...I will bite them all to be sure they understand.>

The large troll moves closer and stops before hissing something.
► Show Spoiler
Her hands are impressively clawed, as are those of the smaller trolls.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:56 am

"One arm. Fought demons, demon took arm, but demons died. Could get new arm, but don't need. Strong without." Lurn puts one of the marbles into his mouth and starts chewing, holding the rest out again.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:48 am

The large troll remains silent watching Lurn eat before making a coughing choke and grunting and growling. The nearest of the trolls to Lurn, the first spotted, growls and whines something and the big one growls menacingly before the little one moves to Lurn
► Show Spoiler
One of the soldiers takes a step back and slowly starts pulling his sword, which if the trolls see they ignore.

The smaller troll roughly grabs a marble with it's viciously clawed hands and briefly examines it before chewing loudly and drooling. It smells like it was rolling in the dead horse and there is fire still on it's claws. For a long moment the only sound is the sloppy chewing before it swallows noisily. It then stops, smacks it's thin lips and runs it's tongue over its sharp teeth, sniffing. It leans in close to Lurn showing it's teeth before the big troll roars something and it whimpers a reply and snatches the remaining marbles and, if allowed scuttling to the larger troll. She roughly grabs the smaller troll and in the shadows there is a scuffle.

From where Lurn is standing he can see claws being used as well as biting that sprays the trees and ground with blood. The scuffle is surprisingly quiet despite the obvious damage being inflicted. After the large female apparently comes out victorious, holding a severed hand, there is a period when all four trolls start chewing and slurping.

Drool running done her chin, the large troll asks something in her rough way. Her face takes a new expression and she moves forward a few feet.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19750

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:20 am

((If Kroshav notices the soldier drawing, he'll gesture for them to take it easy.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 am

The soldier stops but looks ready to pull at any moment.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13584
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:32 pm

While the trolls are fighting over the food Lurn says to the others - in common - "They're at least not so hostile that negotiation is impossible. Not particularly friendly though."

With the large female's return and questions, Lurn replies, "Missing not gobbin was here as long as your meats, so maybe seven, ten moons before. Followed trail here, then must go with water. We want search for trail along water. And I make food most days, but no stay here, lots of not gobbins need helping."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6279

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:06 am

The troll responds,
► Show Spoiler
As she grunts and hisses her response, her eyes dart over the assembled party. Her eyes linger on the torches, and she takes a few more steps forward so she is fully illuminated and it's clear she has been eating dead horse from both the smeared gore and smell.

She makes a few hacking coughs and growls and the three other trolls stop fighting and follow loosely behind her.

The large troll fixes her eyes on Lurn and says in an almost purring growl,
► Show Spoiler
((Insight from Lurn please.))

Post Reply