Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am

(they should still do some damage, just reduced)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am

Lurn watches the targeted shadow closely for some effect but isn't able to tell if the tolling is effective or not. The shadow shows nothing as Lurn then retreats.
Triss seems to blur as she moves quickly back to stand beside Kroshav again and saying loudly,

"They are affected by my fists, which are not magical."

Joe continues to hold her shot, there are just too many people in the way.

Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)<-----
Shadow 3
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (13 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (11 HP)
Jolly

((Ves never landed a blow with her staff before she backed up.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

((No that's true. She kicked it or something I think, but has basically been backing the hell up))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 pm

((Jaq is up rather than Ves! Edited above.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am

Jaq will continue to shoot at the shadows.

1d20+7 = [2] = 9

He will move so that he enters into the empty side room (So next round he can pop out and hopefully get sneak attack damage)
"Jolly, get in the Alter room."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

Jolly hussles into the altar room ahead of Jaq after firing a wild shot. Jaq also sends an arrow skidding across the roof of the hallway harming nothing.
The two smaller shadows move quickly south to Kroshav and Triss and each swipes at the person in front of them. Triss twists and the shadowy arm finds nothing but air but Kroshav isn't as fast and the shadow rakes him under an arm. He is feeling exceedingly unwell now and is only just able to move normally with all his equipment.

Behind the two smaller shadows a wall of darkness fills the hallway and consumes the light from Kroshav's shield.
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Shadow 3
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)<-----
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

((Kroshav has a +1 modifier to strength now and one more point of drain will cause him to become encumbered.

Edit: okay looking at the movement it seems like Jolly is in the altar room 20 feet directly west of where he was last pictured, Jaq is in the alcove immediately west of Joe. Lurn is just North of where Jolly was last pictured and Ves is... probably to his west? Triss is next to Kroshav and the smaller shadows are north of them. The big shadow is right behind them.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm

"I don't feel good..."

Kroshav disengages and retreats.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Triss gives Kroshav a look as he withdraws that is hard to identify in the moment. Maybe concern? Maybe disdain?

She quickly refocuses her attention back on the shadow that attacked her and rams her hand into hole created by Jaq's arrow and tearing sideways into the other shadow. The first shadow fades silently away but the second remains, along with the writhing, shadowy wall just behind it. Small tendrils of darkness have begun to extend from the wall towards Triss who says loudly, and with some worry evident,

"I am not sure I can stop this."
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Shadow 3
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)<-----
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:00 pm

((I am bad at remembering the OOC choices I make...))

Seeing Kroshav retreat, and the concern in Triss's voice, Ves steps forward and feels a warmth well up in her chest, releasing a burst of energy at the injured shadow thing (that Triss just hit) with her ranged attack before ducking back out towards the room (net movement will be to retreat).

UA attack: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14

If that hits, she does radiant damage:
UA attack: 1D4+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Lurn stops with his retreating as Kroshav takes more hits and Triss is pushed back, giving a grunt of displeasure. "That looming darkness bodes poorly, but hopefully it's slower. Those who can shoot from a distance, do so. Everyone else, you may head for the exit. This hall is too narrow for us all to fight, and with the way things are going I don't think we would do well against this large one in a side room. I will delay here even should it kill me."
Raising his shield, the firbolg braces his feet and readies his mace, waiting to lash out at the first Shadow to reach him.

Mace Attack: 1D20+3+2 = [14]+3+2 = 19
Mace Damage: 1D6+3 = [5]+3 = 8

(That's all coming before the magical bolt of holiness, so we'll see how that goes.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:17 am

Lurn holds his position and readies for battle, mace held firmly. He is surprised as he sees Triss gracefully and quickly move to stand in front of Kroshav.

Behind Ves, Joe grumbles something incomprehensible and squeezes past to fire a firebolt at the smaller shadow before moving back past Ves and one south. The bolt connects and does some damage, but not much.

Joe attack and damage: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
1D10 = [2] = 2

Ves follows Joe's example and sends a searing blast of radiant light into the smaller shadow. When the light hits the shadow shudders and pieces of darkness break away and disappear. It is still there, but now clear gaps are visible through it.

Jolly calls uncertainly from the room, panic growing in his voice,

"Ya want me out there now? What are we doing!"

Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)<-----
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 am

Jaq pops out of the room and wanting to be able to use his rogue sneak attack, aims for the new, larger foe, hoping it won't be expecting him. (If his popping in and out of the doorway does not give him sneak attack on this creature, take that damage off the roll) He will then run back into the other side room, the one he was not just in.

1d20+7 = [20] = 27
2d8+5+2d6 = [7, 5] = 27

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 am

Jaq leans out and sends an arrow over Lurn into the hard to miss wall of darkness. The arrow tears away a wide path of darkness before hitting the ceiling and ricocheting to one wall and then to another before disappearing downwards and clinking on the stone floor. The shadowy mass writhes around itself and long tendrils start stretching forward.

The remaining shadow moves forward and grasps at Triss who leans back until she is nearly touching Kroshav to avoid it.
The wall of shadow surges forward and fills the spaces behind it's companion and floods the spaces west of Triss and Kroshav as well but doesn't yet attack them.

Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)<-----
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

((The south-most edge of the shadow wall is 20 ft north of the rooms' alcoves, as is Kroshav.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 am

Poor Kroshav disengages and retreats, with a grateful nod to Triss.

(Ugh, being tapped out against a baddie that steals your attack ability is rough.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Kroshav moves backwards hugging the eastern wall. Triss is clearly aware of his departure but doesn't turn to see, her attention fully on the threats around her. She claws forward with her right and separates the remaining portions darkness in the smaller shadow while also sending a fist into the darkness to her west. The shadow wall compacts on her blow but she quickly withdraws the fist as darkness attempts to engulf it.
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)<-----
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

((Shadows seem built to cause a dilemma with frontline tanks. The tanks might have the HP to stand but a few hits with the drain and they've got to run!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:21 pm

With Kroshav backing up and Triss holding the front, Lurn pushes forward, taking a swing at the darkness with his mace. "I can hardly leave you to face this yourself after coming to a truce. Ves, if you can do that again it would be mighty helpful."

Mace Attack: 1D20+3+2 = [18]+3+2 = 23
Mace Damage: 1D6+3 = [6]+3 = 9
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 am

Lurn smacks the nearest bit of shadow without much effect calling for help from Ves. Triss scoffs and punches at random but seems to catch something more vital.

"I would have left you all to your own devices had it been dark. We are both threatened by this."

Joe backs up 10 feet and readies a firebolt for an opportunity to fire.
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Shadow 4
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)<-----
Jolly
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:50 am

Ves hops into range (30 feet) then ducks back to be 40 feet from the creatures after firing a radiant bolt.

Attack: UA attack: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6

"Shit"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

Ves jumps forward and fires a blast of pure light...at the wall behind Lurn. Probably not what he meant?

Jolly yells out again,

"Hello? In here or what?"

Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)<-----
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 am

((Has Kroshav made it back to the intersection yet?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 am

((At least the intersection. If you want he could have kept on 5ft past it.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am

((Yeah, just past it please.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

"Jolly, don't get trapped by these things. Get out, get behind us, and if you get a clear shot, take it!" Ves yells.

((Did we hear something coming behind us at some point or did I invent that from a different game?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:23 am

((If there's something behind him, Kroshav doesn't want to go there!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:25 am

((No one has heard anything coming from behind.))