Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Ves follows the others, staying behind them so as not to break stuff.

"This place is old, huh?

...so how come there's magic to keep the outside rubbish out and nothing to keep the inside stuff from decaying? And why has the metal lasted when the wood's all rotted out? Doesn't it rust?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm

((Has Ves gotten in close to look at an of the metal other than the symbol of Pelor?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:40 pm

((not really, but it's just sitting there, right? You mentioned hinges and doorknobs amongst dust, and then the symbols on the wall))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm

((Yep, just the one symbol though. The metal she can see mixed with the dust looks brittle and pitted - other than that symbol. Her overall observation stands though.

Oh and I meant drawer knobs, not door. There are some door handle near the entrance to each room though, same state as the rest of the non-symbol metal.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Gotcha. Well, she's going to assume that's just divine magic doing it's own thing then and continue wandering after the others.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 pm

"Well, these rooms have items that have survived the ages, and I think you all know how I like carrying glass bottles around... but there is also a lot of broken glass in this room."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Ves sees the same scenes in the two other rooms that Jaq did as she follows behind him.

((Want to give me perception check on the glass room for Jaq?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:06 pm

"It probably has abjurati'n magic on it like tha statue did. Maybe more but Ah cannae tell since me focus be upstairs.
"
Joe looks closer at the symbol, carefully inspecting it. "Ye sure ye want ta leave it here while this here temple is crumblin down around it? We maybeh able ta give it to anoth'r church o Pelor."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

((I can hear the Indiana Jones theme music playing... :D))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:39 pm

"I'm worried that if we take the symbol of the god away, might not the magic holding this place together fade?" Jaq shrugs as he says this, obviously just guessing in what he is saying.

Perception 1d20+2 = [20] = 22

(My rolls have been great in this temple...so far)
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:40 pm

"Whatever this place is or was, I think Pelor is still watching over it. I think that's his symbol anyway, but we should leave it.

...having a safe place to sleep in the wild places is no small thing. This place sheltered us last night, and it might again, but I don't know how welcome we'd be if we rob the place."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:21 pm

"Ah ain't suggestin ta rob tha place, just relocate it ta another church. But fine, we can leave it fer now." Joe gives a sigh and follows the others down the dungeons.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:51 pm

"That'd be my preference. We can ask Kroshav and Lurn though. Might be you're right."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Joe gives a shrug "Eh, neither seemed ta like tha idea." Joe follows Jaq, lookong out for signs of traps of anything of interest.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Jaq spends a moment mapping out the glass bits and can see a pattern. He would put money on that there were had been four rows of wooden racks spread evenly across the room (left to right, 1-4) and one along the back wall (#5). When the racks, or whatever, had given way it had been fast for the row furthest to his right (#4) as there doesn't appear to be any surviving bottles there. The one next to it (#3) went in sections and more slowly, dumping bottles to both sides but not all hard enough to break and two bottles look to be intact. The space between those two rows is filled with glass but not as much as other spots and he thinks he can get the bottles without too much risk.

The row furthest to the left (#1) appears to have fallen into the space between it and the one next to it and all of the bottles it was holding broke but didn't shatter for whatever reason. That was not the case for the second row (#2) from the left which appears to have simply thrown bottles in all directions, but somehow one bottle survived towards the back of the room. Whatever happened to the back rack (#5) was the least catastrophic, though there looks to have been fewer bottles there to begin with and he counts six likely intact bottles laying in/under the dust near the back wall.

Jaq thinks he could hug the left wall to get to the back potions and the one from row #2 without any special effort. Getting the bottles from #3 will take some dexterous movement to accomplish to avoid getting sliced.

((If Jaq decides to go for those two give me a straight dex roll.))

Joe sees the glass room and the book/scroll room. Nothing seems obviously trapped though the glass looks potentially dangerous.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:46 am

((Sure, Lurn will join in on the training))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 am

Joe goes over to the books and scrolls and starts looking for intact books/scrolls and briefly looks to see inside the books and scrolls to see what they have in them at a glance. She's looking for ancient texts and magic scrolls/books that she can hopefully copy into her book.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 am

Ves waits in the main corridor while those two do their exploring.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 am

Lurn and Kroshav have a brief spar to show Jolly some of the finer points before testing them out with/on him. Jolly grumbles but does his best to keep up.
----
Joe walks in to the room with books and scrolls pushing aside dust to get an idea of what is left. She finds half dozen books and four scroll cases in total. The first book she looks at's pages crumble leaving only a perfectly preserved cover for what appears to have been a religious text. The next three are copies of the same book, Pelor's holy book. One is a history of a nation that Joe only vaguely recognizes as maybe having existed in the north. The final book appears to be a journal written by a bishop of Pelor. If the dates are correct the journal would have been written nearly 4500 years ago, though it isn't clear if this is the original or a reproduction.

The first scroll case is empty, the second appears to be a certificate of some sort issued by Pelor's church to a person Joe has never heard of, the third scroll case is marked 'Daylight' and appears to be spell scroll but nothing she can make out and the last is marked 'HW' but is also nothing she can read and is also clearly a spell scroll.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 am

Jaq will go and collect the easy and full bottles, letting the two that look like they might be hard to get alone for now. He will carefully place them in his pack when he gets each one. Before he puts them in his pack he looks to see if they are marked in any way.

He makes his way out of the 'easy' part of the room and glances over at the two remaining bottles, lying amidst glass. "No, this is why I left the Stenrek." he says aloud to himself and steels himself to go and get the bottles.

Dexterity 1d20+4 = [10] = 14

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:09 am

Jaq collects the easier bottles and finds that one that appeared to whole in the back of the room was cracked so only retrieves six whole bottles. Any labels the bottles may have had are long since gone and it is hard to identify their contents. After placing the bottles in his pack along with his Goblin Enhancer (patent pending) he turns to survey the room...and just can't let those last two bottles go forgotten. Moving carefully he hops when he is able and simply pushes as much dust and glass as he can to get over to the final two bottles. Up close he notices these two are unlike the other six, they are slightly larger and have some raised detail work on them while the others were simple, smooth containers. Turning he retraces his steps and is soon standing by Ves.

For her part Ves doesn't pick up any alcohol in the bottles Jaq just gathered.

((Eight bottles total, 6 plain bottles and 2 nice bottles.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 am

"I hope those are well sealed if you're planning on drinking them! Do you two want to keep going or head back and get started on the days travelling?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:41 am

Joe creates a bag and puts the spell scrolls in along with a holy book and the journal.

"Ah want ta explore more but if ye think that we should head back then Ah guess we can."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:03 am

"I don't plan on drinking them without a whole lot of inspection, worry not."

Does Jaq see any other doorways we haven't yet checked?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 am

Ves shrugs.

"We have a little time to spare, but we're still about two days away from our destination. What did you find, Joe?