Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 am

Kroshav swings and twice at the large target in front of him. She manages to deflect one blow with her claws but the second slices open her gray green hide. Behind her the half-elf finds herself suddenly flanked by the red troll that launches itself at her in a flurry of claws and teeth. She manages to get her shield up and blocks both with trained, precise movements.

Kroshav doesn't hear Ealu respond to his battle cry, but she is surely doing her best?
Soldier 2 looks unsure of what to do but ultimately decides the bug one is the bigger threat and takes his torch and stands beside Kroshav trying to burn her. The troll again twists away but her attention is now very focused on the soldier as she hisses something.
Order:
Jaq<-----
Lurn
Purple troll (-13 hp)
Big troll
Soldier 1
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)
Orange troll
Soldier 2

((Okay, so standard grapple rules apply but I guess Lurn is double grappled. You can use your action to break free from them but rather than requiring you to use two actions I will have you roll at disadvantage but with the chance of breaking both grapples. Sound okay? Otherwise you can always just use you action for other things.

Unless there is a rule I'm missing Spider?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:33 am

((RAW would be the somewhat clunky separate checks against each, as you said. If you are offering to houserule an opportunity to break both, but at disadvantage, that seems totally reasonable to me, if Lurn wants to try that vs breaking free separately.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm

((Yep, more or less. It seems too punative to require two actions to get away.

New map:
► Show Spoiler
))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:39 pm

(I rolled the advantage separately due to not knowing if I was hidden enough from the purple troll to get advantage or not)

Jaq moves east up to 15 feet until he gets a good shot at the same troll he targeted before. He then fires and moves SW 15 feet to hide again in a bit different location.
He will bonus action to hide, again.

stealth: 1D20+11 = [10]+11 = 21

Longbow attack: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
Longbow attack advantage roll if he was hidden from the troll: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15

Arrow damge, sneak attack, purple troll in melee with Lurn.: 1D8+6+2D6 = [5]+6+[4, 2] = 17

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Lurn's Action will be an attempt to escape, poorly. Aaaand so long as I'm reading Grappled rules correctly, that only uses my main action, so I've still got my Bonus? I'll use that to cast Spiritual Weapon just north of the purple troll, attacking it. ((If I've read something wrong and it takes an entire turn to escape a grapple just ignore the spell.))

Athletics (Disadvantage): 2D20.LOW(1)+3 = [16, 2]+3 = 5
Spiritual Weapon: 1D20+5+3 = [1]+5+3 = 9
1D8+5 = [8]+5 = 13

((The dice just REALLY hate me in this encounter, huh? >.>))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:47 am

Jaq sends and arrow into the purple troll's neck. It jerks slightly but doesn't seem to mind that much. As Jaq watches the arrow falls out with a gush of blood that quickly becomes a trickle.

The red and purple trolls, hissing and snapping at each other lift Lurn in an uncoordinated manner and half drag, half pull the weakly struggling firbolg north (25 ft) and east (10 ft). Neither notices the magic, glowing sword appear behind them and swish harmlessly through the air.

The big troll attacks the fire wielding soldier but doesn't manage to get in a hit, deflected by shield and armor. The half-elf slashes at the large troll's back but the troll again twists away.
Order:
Jaq
Lurn
Purple troll (-30 hp)
Big troll
Soldier 1
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)<-----
Orange troll
Soldier 2

((If Jaq can beat a 12, which he will do on everything but a nat 1, he will have sneak until they actively start looking for him.

@Dlover, yep everything looks good, rules wise :D. You did get a nat 20 on init!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:34 am

Kroshav slashes at the big troll when its focus is pulled to the soldier with the torch, then quickly swings twice more, bellowing as he releases a burst of radiant light into the troll.

Hopefully the yelling and flash of light gets their friends' attention... and doesn't just draw in more trolls.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 am

(Oops, I forgot that he gets 3d6 on his sneak attack now at 5th Level, I'll make the change and do it correct for now on....durrhh)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 am

Kroshav catches the distracted troll once and once more as her attention shifts back to him only to draw back from the holy flash of pain and light. It takes her a moment to determine no fire was used and she leans in and bellows back. The fire wielding soldier takes his chance and swings his torch at the new, open wounds but shies back as the troll shifts her gaze back to him.
Behind the large troll, the orange troll tears into the half-elf soldier. She is still standing but is bleeding from deep claw wounds along her sides and a bite on her arm.
Order:
Jaq<-----
Lurn
Purple troll (-30 hp)
Big troll (-35 hp)
Soldier 1 (-16 hp)
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)
Orange troll
Soldier 2

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 am

((Oh and you can go ahead and roll those two missed d6s. I did a retro fix to damage before, it goes both ways!))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am

Forgotten sneak damage!: 2D6 = [1, 5] = 6

Jaq will do the same as last time, come out an snipe at the same troll (Purple) and then retreat a bit and hide. He will hide up further north this time, as it seems that is where they are trying to take Lurn.

Adv longbow attack: 2D20.HIGH(1)+9 = [8, 8]+9 = 17

Arrow and sneak attack: 1D8+6+3D6 = [2]+6+[2, 1, 2] = 13

(Wow, lots of ones and twos!!)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:21 am

The purple troll finally winces at the newest arrow and it isn't pushed immediately out.

Order:
Jaq
Lurn<-----
Purple troll (-49 hp)
Big troll (-35 hp)
Soldier 1 (-16 hp)
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)
Orange troll
Soldier 2

((Give me the sneak roll just in case you do roll that natural 1 NSF!))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:43 pm

((Just made it!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:43 pm

Alright then... Another escape attempt and another Spiritual Weapon attack on purple!

Athletics (Disadvantage): 2D20.LOW(1)+3 = [20, 13]+3 = 16
Spiritual Weapon: 1D20+5+3 = [6]+5+3 = 14
1D8+5 = [8]+5 = 13

(Also, hot damn, the trolls have a lot of movement. With their movement halved, they still managed to drag Lurn, what, more than 30 feet? Or is one able to drag both Lurn and the other troll, then the other drags Lurn and the first?)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 pm

((Move and action to dash would get them more movement, though going by strict rules makes coordinating movement almost worse than dragging someone away solo.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:56 am

((Ooh, right, a dash would probably do it.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:42 am

Lurn bursts free from the grip of the two trolls, helped by a nice greasing of troll blood from the purple troll. His spiritual sword hovers into range and slashes the purple troll, that is actually looking pretty rough now.

((That was a typo, I had initially moved 20 and 10 then looked at the map and made it 25 and forgot to change the 10 to a 5. These trolls are not coordinating in anyway that would help them. Fixed!

Is Lurn going to use his movement? He used his normal action and bonus action.))

Order:
Jaq
Lurn<-----
Purple troll (-62 hp)
Big troll (-35 hp)
Soldier 1 (-16 hp)
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)
Orange troll
Soldier 2

((Current map:
► Show Spoiler
))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:04 am

Since he's free, yeah, he'll be heading back towards the group at full speed.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 am

((That opens you up to AoO. Okay with that?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:28 am

Yeah, two attacks shouldn't be too rough.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am

((Rough, real rough apparently.))

The purple and red trolls, after a moment's surprise that their prey is escaping, both lash out after him tearing into the fleeing firbolg's back. Both are immediately after him hissing and growling.
► Show Spoiler
They both run up behind Lurn and tear into him again leaving him barely standing.

The big troll's wounds begin to knit together as she rains blows down on Kroshav again, which the dragonborn deftly blocks and dodges. The wounded soldier behind the troll slashes again, hoping to add damage to that done by Kroshav but blood lose is catching up with her and the swing is too slow.
Order:
Jaq
Lurn (-43 hp)
Purple troll (-62 hp)
Big troll (-35 hp)
Soldier 1 (-16 hp)
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)<-----
Orange troll
Soldier 2
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:23 am

Kroshav carves at the big troll, but it doesn't go as well as he'd like... he's regretting not casting Bless or lighting up his sword when he had a chance.

Longsword: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
1D8+7 = [2]+7 = 9

1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
1D8+7 = [8]+7 = 15

<Ealu, how close are you?>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:54 pm

The troll's dodging the wounded soldier's blow causes it to step into Kroshav's first slice and then again on the back swing. She is looking pretty decently sliced up.

Kroshav's mind is filled with the rapid and non-stop stream of conversation from Ealu,

<Oh! Hey! Turns out I can't see where there aren't any sticks with fire on the end! I stopped about where I think you went? Smelled right to Charlie. Anyways I think they understood what you wanted because the one with horns and the two that look the same, but one has a shorter mane, you don't have a name at all. Well they went in. How are you? Can you see in the dark?>

The orange troll sinks it's claws into the half-elf. She gasps and looks on the verge of collapse but manages to ward off a bite.

On the other side of the troll the other soldier swings his torch again but the troll warily leans back.
Order:
Jaq<-----
Lurn (-43 hp)
Purple troll (-62 hp)
Big troll (-59 hp)
Soldier 1 (-24 hp)
Red troll
Kroshav (-7 hp)
Orange troll
Soldier 2