24th June 2019 - Punch On

Discuss the comic here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Shardstorm
Of Few Words
Posts: 88

24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-14-2019

Pretty standard action page. The "coff" from Kore hopefully indicates this thing can do a bit of damage to him. Glad to see being happy and healthy is letting Ellipsis get on a good run of consistent work. Helps that this page isn't too bad to draw I wouldn't think.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5465
Location: Massachusetts

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Kick his butt, Complains.
Image Image Image

GazC
Remains Silent
Posts: 7

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by GazC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 pm

I wonder if the Golem is going to stop inches from Kores face in the next strip.

"GAME OVER, YEAH! Insert one head to continue...."

RobotSamurai
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 13

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by RobotSamurai » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Kore doesn't seem too phased by that. I dread to imagine how much damage that would have done to a normal person. Switching tactics to pulling Kore apart like a wishbone should hopefully be more effective. The problem is if he isn't killed outright, which I can't see happening, he'll just heal up and be rather annoyed.

*Edited due to fix autocorrect issues. :D*
Last edited by RobotSamurai on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
Posts: 7435
Location: banned
Contact:

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Krulle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 pm

That's why I like the proposal someone else made: Get Kore in a tight hold, and wait for the helmet to come off.

Generic
Is Heard Often
Posts: 341

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Generic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 am

How heavy is that golem? It's cracking the stone floor by just moving around.

RobotSamurai wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 pm
More doesn't seem too phased by that. I dress to imagine how much damage that would have done to a normal person. Switching tactics to pulling Kore apart like a wishbone should hopefully be more effective. The problem is if he isn't killed outright, which I can't see happening, he'll just heal up and be rather annoyed.
I am not sure about how much damage those kinds of things are supposed to do anymore. Boast got catapulted in a straight arc right through several trees, and he just walked back into frame a time later mostly unaffected. Kore must have hit that wall with the force of a speeding truck.

Is it stone on that wall or some kind of plaster? No dust in sight so I am not sure at all.

Panando
Remains Silent
Posts: 6

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Panando » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:59 am

So Complains should get 4 attacks against Kore - the distance between them is short enough he should be able to move and attack in the same round.

There is one potential hiccup: complains is shouting behind the pillar so Kore might decide to ignore the Golem and go kill the guy behind the curtain. If this scene is actually Kore's defeat, I'd think that 12 combat rounds of that kind of damage could end Kore. We actually see his armor get even more beat up, with the remaining rail for the fridge door breaking off.

User avatar
Rooks
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 104
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Rooks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 am

Panando wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:59 am
So Complains should get 4 attacks against Kore - the distance between them is short enough he should be able to move and attack in the same round.

There is one potential hiccup: complains is shouting behind the pillar so Kore might decide to ignore the Golem and go kill the guy behind the curtain. If this scene is actually Kore's defeat, I'd think that 12 combat rounds of that kind of damage could end Kore. We actually see his armor get even more beat up, with the remaining rail for the fridge door breaking off.
Well, Complains won't be behind that pillar for long since he'll need to move away from it to move the golem towards it. So even more likely Kore will spot Complains and take off after him instead of the Golem.

Panando
Remains Silent
Posts: 6

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Panando » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

Hmmm, I was under the impression the operator would just run on the spot as if on a treadmill, rather than actually running, being essentially magically rooted by the helmet. However given that Kickasso actually just had the golem pose and dance on the spot it is so far inconclusive.

It would be embarrassing if the Golem charge ends with the Golem "splating" in mid-air as Complains runs into a pillar or wall.

User avatar
Rooks
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 104
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Rooks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Panando wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am
Hmmm, I was under the impression the operator would just run on the spot as if on a treadmill, rather than actually running, being essentially magically rooted by the helmet. However given that Kickasso actually just had the golem pose and dance on the spot it is so far inconclusive.

It would be embarrassing if the Golem charge ends with the Golem "splating" in mid-air as Complains runs into a pillar or wall.
A good point. I guess I just assumed based on Kickasso having to move to get the golem to move that a user would have to move as well. But the treadmill thing could be a magic effect. We shall see.

machiavelli33
Remains Silent
Posts: 2

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by machiavelli33 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm

I agree with whoever else suggested the grab. Names needs to just get a hold of Kore and hold him aloft like a baby pissing itself, and squeeze as tightly as he can so he can't get out. Kore is hardy, and deadly, but he is not fast - nor has he been shown to be particularly strong (yet).

Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly
Posts: 41

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am

machiavelli33 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
I agree with whoever else suggested the grab. Names needs to just get a hold of Kore and hold him aloft like a baby pissing itself, and squeeze as tightly as he can so he can't get out. Kore is hardy, and deadly, but he is not fast - nor has he been shown to be particularly strong (yet).

Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.
I suggested that before, but was countered people telling me Kore could have skills or spells that might "magically" undo the binding. Keep in mind that this IS still rooted in gamerules.

All that being said, it's still what I would try.

Crisis21
Remains Silent
Posts: 1

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Crisis21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 am

Hmm... How durable is that golem? If the answer is 'very' then the best course of action might be to grapple Kore and apply the tightest bear hug possible until time runs out.

Generic
Is Heard Often
Posts: 341

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Generic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 am

machiavelli33 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
I agree with whoever else suggested the grab. Names needs to just get a hold of Kore and hold him aloft like a baby pissing itself, and squeeze as tightly as he can so he can't get out. Kore is hardy, and deadly, but he is not fast - nor has he been shown to be particularly strong (yet).

Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.
He obliviated his short handled axes hitting indestructable things. He also pulled an... Ogre? Orc? Don't remember, right through a peekhole in a door. I think he decapitated an ogre without any chopping block with a one handed weapon. He moves around in a suit of armor, every step sounding like an industrial hammer. No, I think he is quite set for strength.

As for what to do with the Golem. Use it to bring the roof down on top of Kore.

User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
Posts: 7435
Location: banned
Contact:

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Krulle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am
machiavelli33 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
I agree with whoever else suggested the grab. Names needs to just get a hold of Kore and hold him aloft like a baby pissing itself, and squeeze as tightly as he can so he can't get out. Kore is hardy, and deadly, but he is not fast - nor has he been shown to be particularly strong (yet).

Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.
I suggested that before, but was countered people telling me Kore could have skills or spells that might "magically" undo the binding. Keep in mind that this IS still rooted in gamerules.

All that being said, it's still what I would try.
If he gets away, you get more tries, how many spells has he prepared that would get him out?

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 906
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:53 pm

TheOneThatGotAway wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am
machiavelli33 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.
I suggested that before, but was countered people telling me Kore could have skills or spells that might "magically" undo the binding. Keep in mind that this IS still rooted in game-rules.

All that being said, it's still what I would try.
"Could have" is key phrasing, I have no idea how Remove Paralysis would interact with a golem's bear-hug. We don't know how much magic Kore is able to cast, but forcing him to waste such boons might be a worthy gambit just in the off-chance he can be made to need more than he has.

Bringing down the roof is probably the worst suggestion yet: we've yet to see it, it might be 100's of meters up and both combatants having the strength to smash walls will mean less when aiming that destructive force against gravity. Going by the current page, if the ceiling is made of the same stuff that caught Kore, then the goblins don't even have enough turns to destroy it even if they spend all of them doing a Mario impersonation. But while I'm ranking arm-chair proposals, dragging Kore to the river sounds grand.

Generic
Is Heard Often
Posts: 341

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Generic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:44 am

As for drowning, Kore has a comical counter for falling over. At this point I assume he has one for about anything. He probably has a life raft built into those giant shoes of his.

He just brushed off getting smashed into rock with enough force to obliviate surface of said rock. Any reasonable and ordinary source of damage seems to be out the question at this point. He is clearly an eldrich horror, and they need the nuclear option. Tons and tons of rubble might at least be able to contain him? Or perhaps I am to used to playing Call of Chtulhu.

Why would you need to reach the ceiling to bring it down? If it is high up that is even better!

On top of this place, we have a myriad of tunnels and wierds rooms, I assume. Levels upon levels of walls that is load bearing on top of each other, under a mountain. Down here we've seen two giant open spaces, separated by a double thin, tall, slightly offset wall, and pillars. Why do you put pillars in a room?

But, yeah. We're not sure of anything with this arcitecture. It's all probably made from styrofoam from what we seen.
Last edited by Generic on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForgetsKeys
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 24

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by ForgetsKeys » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am
machiavelli33 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
I agree with whoever else suggested the grab. Names needs to just get a hold of Kore and hold him aloft like a baby pissing itself, and squeeze as tightly as he can so he can't get out. Kore is hardy, and deadly, but he is not fast - nor has he been shown to be particularly strong (yet).

Immobilize the prick with a ton of rock in the shape of arms, then open him up like you're hungry for sardines.
I suggested that before, but was countered people telling me Kore could have skills or spells that might "magically" undo the binding. Keep in mind that this IS still rooted in gamerules.

All that being said, it's still what I would try.
I'm also with you on this, but you're right that gamerules might allow Kore to escape. On the other hand, the GAP now have a cleric-ish character whose powers haven't been fully explored yet and who can't use the golem anymore . . . . It might be fun to see Fumbles get involved in this battle, even if it's just to cancel out Kore's spells. I don't know enough about D&D mechanics to know how that would work though.

RobotSamurai
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 13

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by RobotSamurai » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Generic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 am
How heavy is that golem? It's cracking the stone floor by just moving around.
I think it shows bad workmanship in building this place. If you're going to put a heavy golem in the room you should make sure the floor is reinforced enough to support it.

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 906
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm

This is nothing compared to the totem trap in the Well of Darkness. Just progressing for the first time destroys the entire floor and unleashes a ravenous nightmare creature that melts every living thing it touches. How would THAT go down the second time around?
Generic wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:44 am
As for drowning, Kore has a comical counter for falling over. At this point I assume he has one for about anything. He probably has a life raft built into those giant shoes of his.

He just brushed off getting smashed into rock with enough force to obliviate surface of said rock. Any reasonable and ordinary source of damage seems to be out the question at this point. He is clearly an eldrich horror, and they need the nuclear option. Tons and tons of rubble might at least be able to contain him? Or perhaps I am to used to playing Call of Chtulhu.

Why would you need to reach the ceiling to bring it down? If it is high up that is even better!

On top of this place, we have a myriad of tunnels and weird rooms, I assume. Levels upon levels of walls that is load bearing on top of each other, under a mountain. Down here we've seen two giant open spaces, separated by a double thin, tall, slightly offset wall, and pillars. Why do you put pillars in a room?

But, yeah. We're not sure of anything with this arcitecture. It's all probably made from styro-foam from what we seen.
There's no doubt for me that rubble-burying would only buy time, and would definitely be more expensive than any other time-purchase. The pillars are too crammed to one side to be proper load-bearers, which lends further credence to Robot Samurai's judgment. Finishing off Kore is simply just as much off the table as winning his favor; the most we can hope for is getting some answers as someone previously mentioned.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bapuvitttssf
Whispers Softly
Posts: 41

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm

If Kore has heard Complains' "RAAAAH!" in the 2nd panel, he might want to try and avoid the golem to go and check there.

Generic
Is Heard Often
Posts: 341

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Generic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 am

The pillars being on just one side makes me think that wall is thinner and has similar pillars on the other side to bring the load off.

But,yeah. I doubt Herbert gave this half the thought we have so far.

User avatar
Tofu
Is Heard Often
Posts: 311
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: 24th June 2019 - Punch On

Post by Tofu » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Round 1 of 4 - Attack successful, Kore flung to wall
Round 2 of 4 - Walking to prone Kore who is readying and is prepared now
Round 3 of 4 - GUESS - Kore and Golem trade blows, no dodges, no critical hits, both parties armour take blows without injury.
Round 4 of 4 - GUESS - Kore and Golem trade blows, Golem looses balance, is on its back. Kore ascendant, if bruised.

Round 5 - Kore attacks inactive Golem with dispel magic type casting, Golem deactivates permanently

Round 6 - Kore looks for next threat ...

Post Reply