Comment of coloring, good or bad, here

Discuss the comic here!
morikahn
The Former Colorist

Comment of coloring, good or bad, here

Post by morikahn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

OK, so some of you don't like my coloring.

I'm completely cool with that.

I can't please everyone. That is an impossible task. However, I don't appreciate every time I respond to a topic or create my own that I get a handful of responses from people that don't like what I do. It is not on topic and generally forces the conversation back to my competency or thunt's decision to hire me in the first place.

So, I'm making this topic for all those that want to complain about me to post it here. You can say whatever you want as long as you aren't rude or vulgar. I don't want anyone to defend me or take anything said personally. I won't.

If someone says something critical and has a good point, especially if its constructive, I'll try to incorporate it into what I do. If you just want to vent at me for ruining your comic.. thats cool too. Just do it here.

Thank you.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Re: Comment of coloring, good or bad, here

Post by extrabigmehdi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, it's not that I dislike the shading.
But I've been looking all the past page, and too often the shadows are well defined, very sharp, no transitions.
This doesn't happen in real life.

Actually, I probably have to re-read the comic, to enjoy the shading, since most of the time I read only the last update,
and miss the coloring work.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: Coloring delay

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 am

morikahn wrote:I'd appreciate it if every time I post something on this forum that it not get hijacked by those that don't like the coloring style or decisions I've chosen. I'm quite aware some of you don't like my work.

You don't pay me; Thunt does. He's the only one I have to please. Being that the unshaded works are always posted before I get a chance to work on them, just right click and save the images to your computer. Then, you'll have your own personal non-morikahnified version of the comic.

If you guys really want to complain about me, make your own topic and fill it there with your vituperative remarks. That way at least you'll be on topic and I'll know where not to go on the forum to read your inane comments.

Edit: I'll actually just start that topic for you.

;)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:06 pm

While I keep my monitor set a little dark and thus have difficulty seeing details in the shaded comic, I do appreciate the shading and consider it high-quality. However, I have said before and will say again that I believe the comic archive ought to allow you to view both shaded and unshaded versions of every comic. (Though this is admittedly a lower priority than getting the archive to actually contain every comic; currently it only links to the first comic of each short arc, and stops doing that much after "Trespassing on Viper Territory", leaving at least the past six months or more of comics unlinked.)

I've been religious about saving the unshaded versions to my computer, but there were a few in the early stages of the transition which I missed, and I worry that if I lose Internet access (or just get super-busy) for a week or more, I may miss the window to get a new comic in its original form. Ideally, nobody should have to choose; the option to see either version should be available. (If it's a question of bandwidth or something making this impractical, I understand, but I will periodically restate my wishes in the hopes that Thunt eventually decides he can afford it, and of finding others who might share my opinion.)
RocketScientist wrote:Most people don't look fondly on unsolicited advice.
More the fools they. :wall:
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Trojan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Trojan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 pm

willpell wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Most people don't look fondly on unsolicited advice.
More the fools they. :wall:
The problem with criticism on the internet is that the skill, intent, comprehension, etc of the person making it is frequently unknown making the quality of the criticism difficult to assess and the appropriate response even more so. In this case you also have a work-related message being mixed with fan commentary which is inefficient and thus particularly irritating for the worker who is already unhappy at being behind schedule.

I think that the ideal would be a thread that only Thunt, Morikhan, a mod, etc could post onto for any information updates to avoid the issue in future.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm

morikahn wrote:I think my point has been made. You guys got a topic now to post whatever you want to say about my coloring, whenever and for whatever page. Lets just drop it here.
Well, I guess this topic will remain empty. Since you showed that you care only of thunt opinion (it's him that pays you) ,
it looks like a recycle bin.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm

morikahn wrote:You don't pay me; Thunt does. He's the only one I have to please. Being that the unshaded works are always posted before I get a chance to work on them, just right click and save the images to your computer.
This I will NOT do.
If I wanted off-line copies, I would ask permission for them first, and pay for that. Best way: buy paper versions, but even they do not include the unshaded versions of new updates.
The work is owned by THunt, and I will not copy that work without permission, except to cut out one panel for my forum avatar. I delete the copy of the page immediately afterwards.
Also: I would deprive the artist of his payment when I re-read the off-line saved versions, as I would not generate ad-income.
Additionally: No! The author and coordinating artist has deemed the pages to not be finished. I should not interfere in his work and decide for him that he is finished and save a copy of his "unfinished" work for me.
Your proposal includes quite a few legal problems. And in my line of work, I cannot be permitted to violate copyright laws in such blatant ways, even if the specific author of the copyrighted work does seem to not mind a single private copy. It still is a violation of copyright law in my country.

And yes, sorry. I hijacked your thread about the colouring delay.
And yes, I was that stupid guy who repeatedly complained about it on the old forum, I'm sure you remember me for that.
I have not commented on your shading in general on this forum yet before the delay notification by you, and I wanted to NOT do so in the comic-discussion threads, as there it would always be a hijacking (complaining in general when the discussion should be about a specific comic). The delay notification thread seemed perfect, as it has fulfilled its purpose, it has notified us. There is no more we could discuss about that topic without running circles immediately.
So, your thread seemed like a good place to point out that there are some who prefer the "unfinished" version over the shaded version.
So I could jab at the shading, and additionally keep your delay notification visible for those who might have missed it.

► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I probably prefer the unshaded comic, and yes, I'd like a way to see an archive of those. I won't die if I don't get that wish though. I originaly came for the STORY and the characters. I even prefer some of THunt's older art style.

Having said that, I've definately said 'Whoa' a few time at how the shading has improved a page. That part is just not my priority though.

Delays and skips: work as you can and I/we will live with it. I tend to think artist are honest when they say they are working, how much they are working, sick delays, vacation delays, other business delays. No big deal. You have a life and I want you to have a life. Keep doing your best and we're cool. Pick your spot to resume as you see fit; all the modern stuff has to be done someday.

Now maybe I'd be more critical if I was trawling recent archives, or if I saw some shading that I actively disliked. Hasn't hit me so far, but if it does I have this thread to vent. ;)
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

zennyrpg
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by zennyrpg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Hopefully it's not off topic to say I like the coloring. Its really good quality and its pretty amazing what a different it makes to pages (probably why some people don't like).

I agree it can be on the dark side though. But I think a good part of that is just the dungeon-y atmosphere of the MoM. I would also love to see ALL the pages (or at least all the new pages) colored. For instance, http://www.goblinscomic.com/01222013/ isn't colored. Come on! The three kins NEED to be colored, those pages feel so disjointed from the rest.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

I think the dark complaint won't be a problem for much longer. I never thought that the previous pages, with dies, fox, and biscuit , never felt dark to me. I think that Forest is trying to get the feel of a dungeon, and that is dark. When we get back to the sun then there shouldn't be anymore problems.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Those who crave the light will probably be a little sad, though, considering we're about to enter ANOTHER dungeon with the GAP.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:54 pm

True, but we will be sure to have one amazing battle scene before that.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:38 pm

I doubt if I've seen very many of the comics colored and shaded. *shrug*

I don't have an opinion either way.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am

zennyrpg wrote:Hopefully it's not off topic to say I like the coloring.
It says good or bad, so you're definitely on-topic.
Its really good quality and its pretty amazing what a different it makes to pages (probably why some people don't like).
"Some" people won't ever like anything. The dramatic difference is however a very good argument in favor of my archive-both-versions proposal.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 am

For comparison, where does the comic switch to Forest's shading?

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 am

I liked the coloring ever since the battle between Biscuit and Grem and I do think that those pages were just great. I have to admit, though, that some of the latest pages are...overdone? I don't know, something just isn't right there for me. I still do like them and I think they are very impressive, but the lines are somehow...too strong. I cannot pinpoint the exact problem I have with them, but I do prefer your earlier work. Maybe it's because all takes place in a dungeon thus it has to look different and less appealing than the outside (which was amazing! I GASPED and AWWW'd and OMFG'd a couple of times during the Battle at the Viper Camp

@Glemp

Here is the last page done by Thunt, and the next one is the first done by Morikahn
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 am

I like both Thunt's colouring and morikahn's colouring. :) I don't have a true preference between styles, because I know I'm always rather nostalgic and remember the original ways the colouring was done! (As in, when Thunt started to give his shading more depth, I remember going "aww but I liked it when it looked like a newspaper comic!")
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

[TOTAL FLAMING BS MODE]

I think your coloring is just awful! If a goat blew chunks on a sixteen day old moldy pizza, that would look better; Trogdor the Burninator kicks its ass for both style and execution! Also, your feet stink so bad I can smell them through the internet.

[/TOTAL FLAMING BS MODE]

mnem
Everything is relative.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I definitely think that the shading is enhancing my experience of the comic, with the shading they feel as if they are much more solid. I have no problem with the cave, I like darker colors.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:36 pm

WastesTime wrote:@Glemp

Here is the last page done by Thunt, and the next one is the first done by Morikahn
Thanks.

I've felt that the MoM colouring isn't as good as the outdoors stuff, but there's only one page that I actually dislike, and that's not even Forest's fault - the teal and orange colouring of the Tower Room, because it's so incredibly overdone.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 pm

morikahn wrote:So, I'm waiting on Thunt to send me the last couple pages to color, so I decided to finish up this panel I've been working on. I wanted to do a high quality shot of the 3 snake women things - when they first showed up.
Really love the reflection of the green light in the little spider's eyes; he is still the cutest thing ever.
My long-neglected blog.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:19 pm

As for me, I like the unshaded version, it feels nostalgic. I like the shading by Thunt, it fits well and it is actually his work (too bad he couldn't cramp it into his schedule). And I am amazed by morikahns shading too. Seeing each page BOTH in shaded and unshaded version too feels like a permanent win-win situation, for I am happy.
If it's possible, it would be certainly an amazing option to have a "shading on/off" switch for the archives, though. Just for the fun of it.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:As for me, I like the unshaded version, it feels nostalgic. I like the shading by Thunt, it fits well and it is actually his work (too bad he couldn't cramp it into his schedule). And I am amazed by morikahns shading too. Seeing each page BOTH in shaded and unshaded version too feels like a permanent win-win situation, for I am happy.
If it's possible, it would be certainly an amazing option to have a "shading on/off" switch for the archives, though. Just for the fun of it.
I was going to add praise, but Looks seems to have expressed my ideas for me.

I haven't really seen a lot of the shaded comics, and I was pretty unaware that they were being done "officially" until now. With the most recent shading update, I have to admit that I actually like the shading. I just haven't been aware of it until this point.

I agree that some kind of "shaded/unshaded" link on each comic page would be pretty cool. I think that being able to directly compare would help the fans see the enhanced value that the shading offers.

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Nostalgia for the old style aside, I prefer and very much enjoy the new style. I find that it manages to very much establish atmosphere, i.e. the darkness of the dungeon. I also will sometimes pick up previously unnoticed details or achieve better understanding of certain panels post-shading, i.e. this http://www.goblinscomic.com/12072012/ page. The complicated texture and shape of Junior was harder to distinguish, for me at least, before it was shaded.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Zwums wrote:The complicated texture and shape of Junior was harder to distinguish, for me at least, before it was shaded.
Seconded. He just didn't look like much until getting the Treatment. That's the problem with being all one color and having a smooth texture with few distinguishing features. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Junior was a huge piece of the reason Thunt hired a colorist.
My long-neglected blog.