19th June 2013-Get 'Im

Discuss the comic here!
stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: 19th June 2013-Get 'Im

Post by stevedj » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, so...

The Kin-group, and what they are doing. In frame one, when our Kin asks for a way to communicate with her MinMax, they say "We are we're working on it". That's frame 1. By frame 3, they've figured it out!

That seems quite a level of intelligence there! Oh sure, they were looking at the machine from the previous strip. But it wasn't until our Kin asked for communication that they would've started on that request.

So, I would have to believe that they already understand quite a bit about that machine. And I would think they could very quickly make adjustments, alterations, make things happen (or not), etc. Even if PsiMax were to teleport back (with MM ??) they might be able to quickly do something about it/him... ???

Given that this is a MAZE, after all, maybe they could cause a room or two to rearrange or swap places? Suppose they moved the Tower Room? Would PsiMax recognize that? Or would he end up teleporting (if that's what he does) to the wrong place?

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:06 pm

SamWiser wrote:I doubt it is the axe. The armor is all wrong. On every person we have seen wielding it, it has given them dark grey armor with strips of light the color of their IME. The Minmax on the right seems to have normal metal armor with purple strips. No light, and they are in the wrong places.
You're probably right. But we do know there's at least one copy of the Axe in the maze somewhere, whether currently in someone's possession or not. It occurs to me that splishking it could be a Very Bad Idea (tm) for all concerned.

apotato
Knows Everything

Post by apotato » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm

if the axe contains some hugely powerful demon i would imagine splishing it would be that much more difficult. psimax would try and fail, or just know what it is and know he cant do that one. otherwise everyone would just trap powerful creatures inside weapons and break the weapon for easy wins

pindesucre
Remains Silent

Post by pindesucre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

I would agree that this definitely does not look like the axe of Prissan. However, might it be the armor from the shield of wonders? The one that, if it does not stop growing, kills its wearer (as we saw in the Brassmoon escape melee)? It is possible that this Minmax triggered that effect when fighting Complains, and that the armor luckily stopped at a stage where it simply grants bonus to AC and damage...

And I kinda like the idea that the Kins messing with Psymax's toy might lead him to teleport in a wall...

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

willpell wrote:
BeanDip wrote:Well, some scientists accept souls as a fact
Do you have evidence to support that hypothesis? My knee-jerk reflex is to say that anyone who accepts anything as a fact without having proof needs to turn in their scienceing license....
In my opinion, a completely honest and pure scientist would say that there is no objective evidence for the existence of souls, so they cannot accept souls as fact, but also that the hypothesis does not indicate that any such evidence ought to exist, and there is no objective evidence *against* the existence of souls, so they cannot dismiss souls as myth - but *can* dismiss souls as irrelevant to their work.

But there are no completely pure scientists, and when they take off their lab coats and go home they probably *should not* be pure scientists. So what they say on the subject during their non-working time is not relevant - as long as they don't let it affect their work, and don't claim their scientific expertise enhances their credibility on this non-scientific subject.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:57 am

warrl wrote:In my opinion, a completely honest and pure scientist would say that there is no objective evidence for the existence of souls, so they cannot accept souls as fact, but also that the hypothesis does not indicate that any such evidence ought to exist, and there is no objective evidence *against* the existence of souls, so they cannot dismiss souls as myth - but *can* dismiss souls as irrelevant to their work.
I'm inclined to agree with this, although I think the burden of proof maybe suggests that you in fact can and should dismiss as myth that which cannot be established as fact (the Teapot in Space thing etc.)...but ultimately, it doesn't matter whether souls exist or not, only whether you act on an assumption of their presence or absence.
But there are no completely pure scientists, and when they take off their lab coats and go home they probably *should not* be pure scientists. So what they say on the subject during their non-working time is not relevant - as long as they don't let it affect their work, and don't claim their scientific expertise enhances their credibility on this non-scientific subject.
I would personally be skeptical as to whether it's possible for anyone to hold an opinion in their private life, but leave it out of their professional actions, decisions, formation of opinions and theories...I tend to think that every thought in a person's head is inextricably entangled with every other one. Certainly it seems that way with my brain, and I'm instantly skeptical of anyone who claims to be able to achieve such a seemingly impossible feat as "true objectivity" or the like. (This is one of the reasons I distrust lawyers....)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 am

I am wondering, did PsiMax deflect multiple blows individually, or did he just put an egg shaped shield around himself that you could only see when something impacted it. I am more tempted to think that since he isn't physically combat motivated, that he just summoned a very strong shield around his entire body and used it to protect himself.
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 am

It may be Inertial Barrier that Psimax is using to deflect blows.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:15 am

RidcullyJack wrote:It may be Inertial Barrier that Psimax is using to deflect blows.
I think it's more likely to be Inertial Armor or Mental Barrier (neither of which resembles Inertial Barrier in the slightest; thanks Wotco). Both of those add AC, which is where you get the "clank" and no damage at all, versus reducing the damage by 5 which probably wouldn't entirely negate it versus a bunch of warrior types (particularly if they're Power Attacking). Plus it says IB is "skintight", whereas Psimax's field seems to be an invisible-until-struck dome over himself.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:50 am

EatsAPeach wrote:"Now if you could get 30 or 40 arrows all coming at him at once.." Or a really big object, enough that even splishked it would hit like a truck. Remember, Kin almost had him. He isn't perfect. Aim for the head.
Heh. A really big object.
EatsAPeach wrote:I'm not really sold on the "11 variables" being the opposing force, since I suspect everyone in the place heard Kin's warning.
Given all the mayhem in the tower room, I wonder how many are still alive?

stevedj wrote:The Kin-group, and what they are doing. In frame one, when our Kin asks for a way to communicate with her MinMax, they say "We are we're working on it". That's frame 1. By frame 3, they've figured it out!

That seems quite a level of intelligence there! Oh sure, they were looking at the machine from the previous strip. But it wasn't until our Kin asked for communication that they would've started on that request.
"There has to be a way to communicate..." might not have been the first discussion on the topic. Or maybe they were already working on it because kindred spirits think alike. ;) Or maybe, as you say, they're just super smart. :)
Orzahn wrote:
WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
Zwums wrote:Biskin (biscuit/kin) intrigues me. So does little Trollgath. And weird tall blue minmax. I want atsplanations for them ALL
"Biskin". That's perfect. I want altsplanations for all of them, too. :)
I like your avatar, I really really do.
Thanks. I stole it from Baldur's Gate II. I thought it matched my nick, even if Boo is a hamster, not a squirrel.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Take THAT you NOOB BiatChes! I go a lotta more {splishk} from where that came from to go around for ALL you "bad fashion", reject, 'tards!!!

NOT F@#&ing Around!!!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein