July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Discuss the comic here!
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Now we just have to figure out how to reach that number.

Link
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Re: July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Post by bcas77 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 pm

I wonder what that number could possibly stand for... Also Forgath looked completely confused in those panels haha

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:59 pm

Also, BrowGath's axe did end up being marginally important, so good catch on the forum's part!

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Gotta love our minmax for actually doing something at all to Psimax.

The inevitably asked forum question. Why did he splishk the axe and not our MM? Obviously to keep the source of Oblivious (Minmax himself) alive.

briY
Remains Silent

Post by briY » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Is there relevance at all to that number in the real world or the Goblins world? 77914839447 seems to be as random as you can get. I know it's not a prime number, as it's divisible by three (add the numbers up).

Mcslave101
Remains Silent

Post by Mcslave101 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 pm

I would Laugh my ass off if MinMax's Armor is his weakness. Afterall, it can change colors just by speaking words. Technically it's unexplainable.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 pm

briY wrote:Is there relevance at all to that number in the real world or the Goblins world? 77914839447 seems to be as random as you can get. I know it's not a prime number, as it's divisible by three (add the numbers up).
It's 3 x 3 x 8657204383, the last factor being prime. It does seem faily 'random' as a number; especially because when most people try to write a big 'random' number, they tend to write an odd number, and tend to use more odd digits than even digits. I think Thunt probably just wrote a big number that looks random.

(Do we know what Psimax's reality number is?)

Edited to add: Also, this reminds me of a conversation.

Forgath: Quick, what do you think of complex math?
Minmax: It's stupid. Everyone knows that math has never done anything good, ever.
Last edited by RidcullyJack on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Mcslave101 wrote:I would Laugh my ass off if MinMax's Armor is his weakness. Afterall, it can change colors just by speaking words. Technically it's unexplainable.
But since the armour is part of the MoM, Psimax has seen it on his many explorations of the maze. He knows how it works for sure. The only thing in the MoM that Psimax doesn't understand is Oblivious, because it can't have been made on any other run; the oblivion holes, and hence Oblivious, are new to everyone.

nightarix
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by nightarix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Zwums wrote:Gotta love our minmax for actually doing something at all to Psimax.

The inevitably asked forum question. Why did he splishk the axe and not our MM? Obviously to keep the source of Oblivious (Minmax himself) alive.
and he's trying to force minmax to draw it.(oblivious)
RidcullyJack wrote:
briY wrote:Is there relevance at all to that number in the real world or the Goblins world? 77914839447 seems to be as random as you can get. I know it's not a prime number, as it's divisible by three (add the numbers up).
It's 3 x 3 x 8657204383, the last factor being prime. It does seem faily 'random' as a number; especially because when most people try to write a big 'random' number, they tend to write an odd number, and tend to use more odd digits than even digits. I think Thunt probably just wrote a big number that looks random.

(Do we know what Psimax's reality number is?)

Edited to add: Also, this reminds me of a conversation.

Forgath: Quick, what do you think of complex math?
Minmax: It's stupid. Everyone knows that math has never done anything good, ever.
far as i know they've never mentioned the number, here's a thought the number though maybe they need 3 FMK parties whose total loses add up to 8657204383?(3 people, 3 parties)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Wouldn't it be just easier to destroy/manipulate the psionic gears in order to "restore" PsiMax' weaknesses back to him, than to try and come up with a way to attack him that involves the number 77914839447?

(How does one attack anyone in a manner that directly connects with a number, anyways? *confused*)

I think it would have been SO funny if THunt had picked a number that is connected in some way with the Kickstarter results or something. :lol: Maybe he did, and we just didn't figure it out yet. :shrug:

Also I figure that PsiMax would have had a better chance to observe oblivious, if he hadn't shown himself to our Minmax. But I'm glad he didn't think of that.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Necrule
Remains Silent
UStream Username: necrule

Post by Necrule » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 am

nightarix wrote:
far as i know they've never mentioned the number, here's a thought the number though maybe they need 3 FMK parties whose total loses add up to 8657204383?(3 people, 3 parties)
Good idea. But I think for it towork it needs to be directly related to the stated number. So maybe there is someone from a team in that room that has tried the maze 77,914,839,447 times.

The reality that immediately comes to mind is the zombie reality. I can't see that reality ever beating the Maze of Many, so they can easily have that as their number.

satorian
Remains Silent

Post by satorian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 am

It's fairly interesting that Thunt's random number included such a large prime as one of its factors, as well as so few other factors, as well as a numerically significant repeated factor (3, the number of members in each of the parties).

By the way, that number is just under 14 factorial, like I stopped calculating after 6 digits beyond 13.9. The tangent in radians is exceedingly close to pi, which is kinda cool.

Big L
Remains Silent

Post by Big L » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 am

So let me get this straight; PsiMax's weakness is a number?

You know what that mean, folks?
http://youtu.be/gENVB6tjq_M?t=1s

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 am

nightarix wrote:far as i know they've never mentioned the number, here's a thought the number though maybe they need 3 FMK parties whose total loses add up to 8657204383?(3 people, 3 parties)
3 Kins? That seems like a lot of losses, though.
GathersIngredients wrote:Wouldn't it be just easier to destroy/manipulate the psionic gears in order to "restore" PsiMax' weaknesses back to him, than to try and come up with a way to attack him that involves the number 77914839447?

(How does one attack anyone in a manner that directly connects with a number, anyways? *confused*)
Hee hee. Maybe he has to roll 77914839447 on a 20-sided die. :shrug:
Last edited by WhispersToSquirrels on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Elendur
Remains Silent

Post by Elendur » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 am

I'd say that the number is connected to a very minor action, probably verbal or near useless in actual combat.

It'd be ironic if it were connected to insulting mathematics or having no idea about mathematics.
That'd also make some sense since PsiMax is arrogant enough to think that everyone at least would have some respect and/or understanding of the subject.
Last edited by Elendur on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Occams Meataxe
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Occams Meataxe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:47 am

Hit him three times or for three points of damage. Three is directly connected to the number since it's one of the prime factors

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 am

Occams Meataxe wrote:Hit him three times or for three points of damage. Three is directly connected to the number since it's one of the prime factors
Yeah! And then do that 8657204383 times. ;)
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 01 July 2013: 77.914.839.447

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 am

Or vary constant number 77.914.839.447
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Morrack
Mutters to Themself

Post by Morrack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:14 am

So nobody's wondering yet what happened to the other alts? :)
Could this mean they've all been blown up?
Kinda doubt that though, I feel GoldMax should get at least one line of conversation before he explodes.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:06 am

I really like the dialogue in this update. He did a very good job of conveying complex plot information in a believable and funny manner. He should have three and a half Kins handle all expository dialogue from now on. Or at least Onyx and Shelob.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

(^_^)
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by (^_^) » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 am

"Minmax, hit him in a way related to number 77914839447"
"What!? But I hate math! And I hate you! Minmax Smash!"

Another option:
Soundwaves can cause damage, there are even offensive magical screams. Nothing 'normal' shouold ever be felt by nomal person, but PsiMax magnified his weakness to the limit.
So saying very loudly(even trough peeking window Kins use to tak to MM) magic number could hurt him :P
Last edited by (^_^) on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

munchwolf
Remains Silent

Post by munchwolf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 am

RidcullyJack wrote:
Maybe it is a phone number, and he is looking for the 9th caller :D

The HellJack
Remains Silent

Post by The HellJack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 am

I wonder if the Three and a Half Kins could possibly "dial" back his weakness number to a more manageable amount.

They can already use his machine to figure out his weakness and send a form of 2 way communication.

apotato
Knows Everything

Post by apotato » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 am

the number is very unlikely anything to do with combat directly. i seriously doubt psimax will come undone because someone "rolls" or "hits for" 77 billion and change. i doubt anything in DnD would go anywhere near that high.

however many things DO go that high. for example that could be a frequency. it's far too high to hear and not quite high enough to see. turns out 77GHz is in the RADAR frequencies. not sure THAT would help stop Psimax either but it's sufficiently outside the box compared to rolling 77billion with a D20...thats just desperation

edit: on an unrelated note i was REALLY hoping that number was the frequency for blue light. blue would be 606ÔÇô668 THz, so we need 3 more zero's in there to even approach psimax being vulnerable to a shade of light
Last edited by apotato on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong
Remains Silent

Post by Strong » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:48 am

I'm not sure that this number have a "meaning". This amount is just over everything we (or the FMK groups) can count/imagine, and it's only purpose is to demonstrate PsiMax's power. Maybe some manipulation with the gears of psi-machine can make him vunerable - and we have 4 Kins to handle it! :)
Last edited by Strong on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.