July 6, 2013 With math!

Discuss the comic here!
langerhans
Of Few Words

Re: July 6, 2013 With math!

Post by langerhans » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 am

Kamos wrote:
Glemp wrote:
Sleeping Bear wrote:I may have missed some posts, so maybe someone has mentioned this already, but can we even be sure that GoldMax is from reality 38? Didn't Psimax say when he released FMK that he'll let "reality 38 kill them in the tower room again", and then they met GoldMax and NotWalter/Grinnorarcen in the room with the upside down trees and the healing potion river?

At the moment I'm too lazy to archive dive so I could verify this, so excuse me if I'm shooting my mouth off.

EDIT: well, if masterzzan is correct, that would be awesome, too :lol:
Psimax said that he couldn't leave FMK bolted to the wall because then Reality 38 would come in and kill them, which would force him to recalculate forty-four variables.

...Precisely why Goldmax would be travelling backwards through the maze escapes me, since it's a race to the end. I guess he wanted to try and loot the bodies of failures for better equipment.

It's a maze. You don't always know which way is forward :P.
I agree, in fact, we don't even know that 156 WERE going in the right direction, since they cheated, we do know that they would have made it to the tower room anyway but they might have had to retrace their steps if they hadn't climbed through the oblivion made gap

masterzzan
Remains Silent

Post by masterzzan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:39 am

Liesmith wrote:
masterzzan wrote:about number 38.

it is actully the best numer they can change it to.

first reason pops to mind is in the comic's 1st page (http://www.goblinscomic.org/06262005/)

from the paladin's guid book-paladin rule #38: " when the minions of evil call dibs on your gear,pray or run".

but the other time this number is mantioned is even better : http://www.goblinscomic.org/07032005/
this is when the goblins sees the :"things-about-people-we-don't-know" paper of minmax (aka his character sheet). which says: "He knows 38 ways to kill a guy using only his thumb..."

dear goblin's writer.. i do hope you are not engry at me for ruining this suprise... ;)
Really good catch. I'm going to assume that you're just a sock account of Tarol's, and he's trolling us by giving us a correct theory for once. The only way to prove that you're not him is to take a photo of yourself holding a photo of Tarol's face in front of your face.

na, im not Tarol. im just a guy who takes his online comics seriusly(and likes to laugh). i watched goblins for a while now. only just now juined your forum, i actully would have stayed out of it if some1 else would have made the #38 connection, but just couldn't let that one pass.it was a sweet turn around the writer had going.
if you read DRAGON-MANOG's forum you'l find me there ocasully.i even left my avatar the same.

Lumenaught
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Lumenaught

Post by Lumenaught » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 am

Maybe Minmax just needs to get Psymax a girlfriend.
Either he would get laid and want to let the multiverse live or give him a headache and render him powerless...

masterzzan
Remains Silent

Post by masterzzan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 am

a funny thing comes to mind...
say MinMax's 38 ways of thumb killing is rewriten as the one wickness of PsiMax. he will go all like :"yey me, i killed a level gazilion character. im going to get so much xp ill hit godhood any moment".then one of 2 things will happen.ether one of team kin will end this run and he will forget it all(and loose all xp=expirience). or the kin team will collect all the xp since it was their doing that got the Psimax down. after the rewrite of his wickness. the outstanding flaw of PsiMax against number 38 will mean that the chalange reting of the fight was close to nill. and MinMax will get like 1 xp .maybe.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am

The one question running through my mind is this: If they succeed in killing Psimax and then win the maze, won't Psimax just respawn again to try the whole Oblivion thing again? Shouldn't they put him through an oblivion hole, thus ending his chance of coming back, since he'd never have existed?

Or do the current Oblivion holes negate respawning and a restart of the Maze?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Well the Kin team are already talking about engineering the maze to help themselves. I'm sure they could rig the maze to doom psimax.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

masterzzan
Remains Silent

Post by masterzzan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Wolfie wrote:The one question running through my mind is this: If they succeed in killing Psimax and then win the maze, won't Psimax just respawn again to try the whole Oblivion thing again? Shouldn't they put him through an oblivion hole, thus ending his chance of coming back, since he'd never have existed?

the problem with 6 difrent threads talking about the vage same thing is you need to read them all ;)

http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... =25#p52394

read the last bit...

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Wolfie wrote:The one question running through my mind is this: If they succeed in killing Psimax and then win the maze, won't Psimax just respawn again to try the whole Oblivion thing again? Shouldn't they put him through an oblivion hole, thus ending his chance of coming back, since he'd never have existed?

We don't know if the oblivion holes permanently break resetting or if resetting will fix the oblivion holes. If the latter, we don't know if resetting will restore everything/everyone that went into an oblivion hole (or give Grinnorarcen back to Goldmax), although I think there are fewer logic flaws if everything is returned. This is the reason people have been suggesting the way to end this is to force PsiMax to win and be barred from the Maze. But, we don't know if winning bars you from running the Maze again.

The Kins may be able to derive the answers from the machine. Or they may be able to control the Maze sufficiently to realize their ambitions, AND render PsiMax incapable of ever winning, at least until they elect to exit, if they ever do. Even if the answers aren't the ones they/we would like for them to be.

That's all in Herbert's (THunt's) hands.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Liesmith wrote:To be honest, if I had such an active fanbase like this, I'd probably create troll accounts all the time to talk trash about the comic, then I'd respond with posts that were polite at first, then grew increasingly angry until everyone was uncomfortable, and I'd lampshade the whole thing by having a third account that would point out that the whole thing was probably fake.

The goal: amuse myself for twenty minutes. This is why I am not a successful person with fans.
Are you suggesting that you yourself may in fact be a secret puppet account of Thunt? ;)
All hail the power of the stick!

DuIstalri
Whispers Softly

Post by DuIstalri » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Are you suggesting that you yourself may in fact be a secret puppet account of Thunt? ;)
He isn't the only one - in fact, I think more of us are then aren't. :P What, are you a real person!?! :shock:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm

DuIstalri wrote:
Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Are you suggesting that you yourself may in fact be a secret puppet account of Thunt? ;)
He isn't the only one - in fact, I think more of us are then aren't. :P What, are you a real person!?! :shock:
This would certainly explain why it takes 5 days to get a comic drawn, if Thunt was busy logging into and out of several dozen socks, having to reread all the relevant subscribed threads so that he doesn't actually blow the gag (by quoting a conversation that his current alt wasn't supposed to have read).

To say nothing of how neglected Danielle would feel.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm pretty sure Danielle joins in the fun with several more accounts too.
Just to make up for being neglected so much, she trolls Thunt on his forums.

And now they've started sucking their sons into the same game.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 am

I don't know what's up with all these accusations. I am, and always have been, a flesh human. To claim that I am a vastly superior artificial intelligence is, frankly, a bald-faced statement.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 am

Krulle wrote:I'm pretty sure Danielle joins in the fun with several more accounts too.
Just to make up for being neglected so much, she trolls Thunt on his forums.

And now they've started sucking their sons into the same game.
I've seen it before. Like for instance, the supposed country of Finland. Really only 17 men while a large number of forum accounts.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am

Well, as long as it foils the people buying advertisements..... ;)

Have you ever heard of the Bielefeld Conspiracy?
That whole city is a pure fake!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am

3 hr and 45 minutes until the next comic, and it looks like it'll be up on time again if https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/statu ... 4049089537 is anything to go off off. I'm personally really pumped to see some slaying, flaying, and splishk-failing.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

bcas77 wrote:3 hr and 45 minutes until the next comic, and it looks like it'll be up on time again if https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/statu ... 4049089537 is anything to go off off. I'm personally really pumped to see some slaying, flaying, and splishk-failing.
What? NO! I'm looking forward to the Kins with a Wall of Exposition...er, Wall of Text? ...no, Wall of Equations! ...just like my math teacher used to put on the blackboard for class. :lol:

Ok, a battle scene would be nice, too. ;)

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am

Yes! I'd love a ton of exposition, text, equations, and battle scenes all nice and spread out over a comic that is 10 times as long as normal =D I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself.

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 am

Also, that was one of the hardest times I've ever had trying to make a post not sound sarcastic. I really do mean what I said in that post haha

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

Post by Archerd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm

willpell wrote:
Zambee wrote:Haha, there's so much to love about this page :D
Saphire saying "He'd chew him up like a Mouse!"
Is there a joke there which I missed?
Kin's favorite food is live mice.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/05242010/

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

DuIstalri wrote:
Well, I thought I was real ... but now I'm suddenly not so sure ... :paranoia:
All hail the power of the stick!