July 6, 2013 With math!

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: July 6, 2013 With math!

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 pm

willpell wrote:Since nobody else seems to have mentioned this, I really liked the line "You want to rewrite basic logic? That'd take at least an hour!"
And that is the time necessary to get a basic principle of logic back to finish the rest logically...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Tarnagh wrote:Not a math person but is there some reason they couldn't use either zero, a negative number, or an imaginary number? Something numeric that would relate to Oblivious? Or would that be impossible?
Why would you make a single weapon immune to Psimax' power (thus allowing him to splishk the rest of you handily), when you can immunise a whole person and presumably anything from his reality, which includes his armour and weaponry?

SpyMoose
Remains Silent

Post by SpyMoose » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Glemp wrote:
Tarnagh wrote:Not a math person but is there some reason they couldn't use either zero, a negative number, or an imaginary number? Something numeric that would relate to Oblivious? Or would that be impossible?
Why would you make a single weapon immune to Psimax' power (thus allowing him to splishk the rest of you handily), when you can immunise a whole person and presumably anything from his reality, which includes his armour and weaponry?

If they did make Oblivion immune to PsyMax's power then the sword would easily pass through the shield and my favorite verbiage of 'stabby' would come to light, PsyMax wouldn't know at the time and total surprise would be in MinMax's favor, he wants to keep MinMax alive at the moment so splishking him would not cross his mind beforehand. But GoldMax laying the smack down with any number of limbs (at least one headbutt is all I ask) is gonna be awesome! :cheer:

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

In the end, the actual weapon that does the damage is almost irrelevant - PsiMax is gonna suffer Death By Math!! :)
All hail the power of the stick!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

They could re-write basic logic so that they finished before they started. That's pretty illogical, so it should work.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:52 pm

So - looks like they're thinking of using 38 at the moment - but I think that's not going to work.
PsiMax is too smart, and will find a way to kill GoldieMax indirectly - maybe by dropping one of the giant checkers on him.

The injured PsiMax then teleports back to the machine room and pins everyone to the wall.
MinMax is confused for a moment by all the Kins, but then says something like "Oh - black, red, BLUE - not my Kin".

PsiMax starts torturing our Kin to make MinMax pull the sword, which he does.
PsiMax gets the sword, and starts fixing his machine to destroy it.
Kin decides it's better to kill everyone and hope to stop PsiMax the next time around, small hope as that is.
So she pulls off her collar.

I'd like to think that it doesn't blow up - Goblin Slayer wouldn't have risked her being able to kill him by taking it off. Duh!
But, instead, it blows up, killing or knocking out everyone but Forgath and MinMax - the latter stabilized at negative something.
The damaged machine begins ripping the maze apart, including ripping open the door to the winner's chamber.
So Forgath drags MinMax into the winner's circle (resetting everyone EXCEPT our FMK - we briefly see Kin's body as the other Kins wink out).
After grabbing the teapot (the rest of the cool stuff vanishes), with the maze coming apart around him, Forgath drags MinMax into the exit portal.

When MinMax awakens, he can't get back into the Maze - it is too damaged. He blames Forgath for dragging him out, leaving Kin dead and not restored. They agree to go after the Goblins, then go their separate ways.

Meanwhile, PsiMax is trapped alone in a remnant shard of the MoM, reset to his original low level by dying, unable gain any XP to gain level, never to be able build a new Oblivion machine.

masterzzan
Remains Silent

Post by masterzzan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:46 am

about number 38.

it is actully the best numer they can change it to.

first reason pops to mind is in the comic's 1st page (http://www.goblinscomic.org/06262005/)

from the paladin's guid book-paladin rule #38: " when the minions of evil call dibs on your gear,pray or run".

but the other time this number is mantioned is even better : http://www.goblinscomic.org/07032005/
this is when the goblins sees the :"things-about-people-we-don't-know" paper of minmax (aka his character sheet). which says: "He knows 38 ways to kill a guy using only his thumb..."

dear goblin's writer.. i do hope you are not engry at me for ruining this suprise... ;)

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 am

Oh, please Thunt, let Minmax kill Psimax using only his thumb. That would be amazing.

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 am

I may have missed some posts, so maybe someone has mentioned this already, but can we even be sure that GoldMax is from reality 38? Didn't Psimax say when he released FMK that he'll let "reality 38 kill them in the tower room again", and then they met GoldMax and NotWalter/Grinnorarcen in the room with the upside down trees and the healing potion river?

At the moment I'm too lazy to archive dive so I could verify this, so excuse me if I'm shooting my mouth off.

EDIT: well, if masterzzan is correct, that would be awesome, too :lol:

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 am

Sleeping Bear wrote:I may have missed some posts, so maybe someone has mentioned this already, but can we even be sure that GoldMax is from reality 38? Didn't Psimax say when he released FMK that he'll let "reality 38 kill them in the tower room again", and then they met GoldMax and NotWalter/Grinnorarcen in the room with the upside down trees and the healing potion river?

At the moment I'm too lazy to archive dive so I could verify this, so excuse me if I'm shooting my mouth off.

Psimax said that he couldn't leave FMK bolted to the wall because then Reality 38 would come in and kill them, which would force him to recalculate forty-four variables.

...Precisely why Goldmax would be travelling backwards through the maze escapes me, since it's a race to the end. I guess he wanted to try and loot the bodies of failures for better equipment.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 am

Archive diving...

Psimax: "In twelve minutes, Reality 38 will enter this room. If they find you like this, they'll kill you." 01062012

So Psimax knows that next team to enter the room is #38. Minmax opens the treasure chest, Forgath tries on rings, they mess around with Oblivious and the colour-change armour for a while, goes back to try to get the other rings from under the gargantuan fascimile of his belt buckle. This could take 12 minutes, maybe a bit less. Then they open what seems to be the only other door into that location: 02212012

Goldmax could be exploring the maze sideways, rather than backwards; he hasn't figured out the way forward is off a cliff and into a river yet. Goldmax and FMK have converging paths which are supposed to meet in battle at the growing-down forest. The only way forward is jumping down into the healing potion river. (3Kin also came to the end of their maze run via the healing potion river).

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:23 am

Alright, thanks for correcting me. Now I'll just hope that Psimax gets killed by a thumb :lol:
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:25 am

► Show Spoiler

catchesafish
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by catchesafish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 am

masterzzan wrote:about number 38.

first reason pops to mind is in the comic's 1st page (http://www.goblinscomic.org/06262005/)

from the paladin's guid book-paladin rule #38: " when the minions of evil call dibs on your gear,pray or run".

but the other time this number is mantioned is even better : http://www.goblinscomic.org/07032005/
this is when the goblins sees the :"things-about-people-we-don't-know" paper of minmax (aka his character sheet). which says: "He knows 38 ways to kill a guy using only his thumb..."

dear goblin's writer.. i do hope you are not engry at me for ruining this suprise... ;)
Oh Oh Oh! Both of those make so much sense, but the second moreso. That's how Minmax is going to kill him twice :D He'll use both thumbs. :cheer:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:25 am

Liesmith wrote:They could re-write basic logic so that they finished before they started. That's pretty illogical, so it should work.
I'm Willpell and I approve this message.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 am

RidcullyJack wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:53 am

If what was said here will come to be true, then Minmax will kill Psimax twice. If they gang up on Psimax with GoldMax than it would count as two Minmaxes killing Psimax, thus Minmax would kill him twice.

Also I love how Thunt laughs (intentionally or not) at the measurement systems. It's not a universal constant as Psimax could as well be from a reality where they use a metric system. Imagine the scene:

Kin: Ha, you're out for good, Psimax, we reprogrammed your device and now you're vulnerable to 6 which is Minmax height!
Minmax hits Psimax, nothing happens
Kin: I don't understand....
Psimax: You have failed to account for the possibility of my reality using the metric system. Now, Minmax no. 156, I expect you to die.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Besides which, Psymax is reeeeaaally into math, and even if they didn't use metrics, Minmax 156 is actually 6.000000000000428 feet high, so it doesn't work anyway.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Glemp wrote:
Sleeping Bear wrote:I may have missed some posts, so maybe someone has mentioned this already, but can we even be sure that GoldMax is from reality 38? Didn't Psimax say when he released FMK that he'll let "reality 38 kill them in the tower room again", and then they met GoldMax and NotWalter/Grinnorarcen in the room with the upside down trees and the healing potion river?

Psimax said that he couldn't leave FMK bolted to the wall because then Reality 38 would come in and kill them, which would force him to recalculate forty-four variables.

...Precisely why Goldmax would be travelling backwards through the maze escapes me, since it's a race to the end. I guess he wanted to try and loot the bodies of failures for better equipment.

It's a maze. You don't always know which way is forward :P.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Awesome research. Now you all should realize, THunt could have just as easily made GoldMax's reality number ... yea, you know which one ...
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Really good catch. I'm going to assume that you're just a sock account of Tarol's, and he's trolling us by giving us a correct theory for once. The only way to prove that you're not him is to take a photo of yourself holding a photo of Tarol's face in front of your face.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm

that's a mighty suspicious mind you got on you there Liesmith :)
All hail the power of the stick!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:that's a mighty suspicious mind you got on you there Liesmith :)
I would do the same thing. Big internet forum like this? So many theories? I would tell a bunch of them that are just crazy enough so people think I have no idea what is going on, and then every once in a while call it exactly.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm

To be honest, if I had such an active fanbase like this, I'd probably create troll accounts all the time to talk trash about the comic, then I'd respond with posts that were polite at first, then grew increasingly angry until everyone was uncomfortable, and I'd lampshade the whole thing by having a third account that would point out that the whole thing was probably fake.

The goal: amuse myself for twenty minutes. This is why I am not a successful person with fans.
► Show Spoiler