July 11, 2013: 38? Done. FSST

Discuss the comic here!
Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: July 11, 2013: 38? Done. FSST

Post by Liesmith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:47 am

Smurfton wrote:I don't know why nobody else has thought of this, but the best situation for everybody is if Psimax wins. That way, no more oblivion. No more Oblivious, but....
It's been brought up quite a bit, but it's easy to miss because so many theories get brought up so quickly after each update.
Happy Demon wrote: I find prophesies stupid, since suddenly someone is 100% accurate and can foresee everything... it's not as if the Goblin Seer could do mistakes, like she did with the war camps, ending in their demise and eventually her own.
As if nobody has a choice, everything is predicted, and nobody is guilty for their actions as it's merely what fate decided (it's not a choice, it's merely luck).
I don't usually mind prophesies, if they're done well....and they usually aren't. I think the ones in Goblins work well, for one reason in particular: the fortunetellers are fallible. Riss even offered two different prophecies based on whether or not Grem accompanied Dies, Fox, and K'sellis, so free will factors in. Hell, the White Terror got the exact opposite of the replacement wing predicted by the prophecy (though who knows what the Junior may bring).

I'mma firin' my head-canon: the 'normal' timeline is what happens if no one makes any predictions. If a precog looks forward, they'll see the future of that timeline, and act based upon what they saw, which allows them to change things, which creates a new timeline. If they look forward again, they'll see the timeline as if no one makes any more predictions from that point forward, which they can act upon, etc. More powerful precogs can see multiple timelines deep, so they can account for the choices people will make in response to their predictions. From a story standpoint, this would explain why lower-level fortunetellers can make mistakes, but ancient prophecies have a way of coming true no matter what.

And I need sleep now.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 am

Minmax could just be killing someone else with Oblivious. As a Psion Psimax isn't going to have very many hitpoints even at a high level.
Glemp wrote:
SamWiser wrote:I really like the shading.

Also, what is our Minmax doing with his hands in in tenth panel? Was Psimax choking him?
I think he's stopping himself from drawing his sword. It must be quite a struggle for someone focused on combat to such a ridiculous degree.

EDIT: No, that looks totally wrong.
Rather tantalizing move for the DM isn't it? One of your players has completely minmaxed his guy so what do you do? You throw him into a maze full of frustrating characters just like him with an ultimate antagonist that he's not allowed to fight.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

nitwit
Mutters to Themself

Post by nitwit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 am

Smurfton wrote:I don't know why nobody else has thought of this, but the best situation for everybody is if Psimax wins. That way, no more oblivion. No more Oblivious, but....
Something to consider, if the maze resets...
This never happened
http://www.goblinscomic.org/01132012/
or this
http://www.goblinscomic.org/02242012/
this, good and bad
http://www.goblinscomic.org/04272013/
this
http://www.goblinscomic.org/02082013/
probably most of all, this
http://www.goblinscomic.org/03062013/
but also this
http://www.goblinscomic.org/07012013/
and even this
http://www.goblinscomic.org/01062012/

this may not have happened, people thought it was quite cute
http://www.goblinscomic.org/01312012/

this probably wouldn't have happened, or atleast not this way
http://www.goblinscomic.org/04202012/
http://www.goblinscomic.org/04242012/

granted, many will be happy that this never happened
http://www.goblinscomic.org/12282012/

ofcourse, there is no reason why this shouldn't happen again, for all you for-max shippers,
http://www.goblinscomic.org/02152011/

this leaves us all wondering why we spent a year trying to figure out who shot J.R. Unless they break all their counters too, which means keeping psymax alive and subdued while they rework everything(he can't win when he is dead) Quite honestly it gets really silly, it would leave all of them free to run the maze a few hundred times and get so much XP that Kore becomes little more than a gnat, leaving the rest of the story pointless.
The only way i see this story working now and retaining any suspension of disbelief is if something, like the machine collapsing, forces them all out at once. otherwise we do all this crap over again and the previous venture was pointless, or they emerge from the maze as gods.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am

Goldmax is probably maximized for guessing of demon names. He probably has a whole bunch of skills related to reading the Necronomicon without going insane. I assume his "player" (to the extent that this creature exists, either in Herbert's reality or in some sort of alternate reality) knew the house rule about demon names and decided to present his less than erudite DM with Goldmax.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 am

nitwit wrote:
Something to consider, if the maze resets...
This never happened

otherwise we do all this crap over again and the previous venture was pointless, or they emerge from the maze as gods.
You know what would be most epic?

If Thunt let Psimax win, then deleted the whole story arc in the archives, back to the update with the entrance to the Maze of Many, and for all time declined any knowledge of any comic he'd drawn from things inside the maze.

"I haven't drawn that part of the story yet."

It would make him legendary.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 am

Changes_everything wrote:You know what would be most epic?

If Thunt let Psimax win, then deleted the whole story arc in the archives, back to the update with the entrance to the Maze of Many, and for all time declined any knowledge of any comic he'd drawn from things inside the maze.

"I haven't drawn that part of the story yet."

It would make him legendary.
You do realize the uproar that would cause.... his fans would threaten a riot (unless he shared links to that portion of the comic or put it in an upcoming pdf booklet)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 am

Unrepentantly pedantic, but in the last panel, Psimax' boot is missing its second cuff - compare with previous, in which there are two visible cuffs.

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:
brnforce wrote:Nope. You aren't thinking Meta enough. I do think the Kins are NPCs that are being controlled by different Herberts (Herberts in several universes), Goldmax is a PC (the same person that is playing our Minmax, just a different universe), and so is Psimax.
Nope. They're being drawn by alternate Thunts in difference universes.
Can you imagine the outrage the alternate us's are experiencing right now? Watching their favorite characters getting splishked like they're nothing?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 am

bcas77 wrote:
DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Nope. They're being drawn by alternate Thunts in difference universes.
Can you imagine the outrage the alternate us's are experiencing right now? Watching their favorite characters getting splishked like they're nothing?
But they aren't being drawn... only the final lap through would be drawn.. unless this is the run where nobody dies Rose....

wait, wrong fandom :lol:
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:01 am

bcas77 wrote:
DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Nope. They're being drawn by alternate Thunts in difference universes.
Evil Thunt is winning.

drekhan
Remains Silent

Post by drekhan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 am

I kinda feel like once they get Psimax dead they should shove is body into one of the oblivion holes just to make certain he won't come back to life on the next reset or anything.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 am

Oh come - you all know this is TOO EASY!
GoldieMax is going to beat on PsiMax a while - and then PsiMax is going to manage to do something to escape immediate death - perhaps teleporting away to where he can experiment a bit to figure out how to deal with GoldieMax indirectly enough - or maybe he just figures out what's happened and teleports back to the machine room with MinMax.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 am

Wolfie wrote: You do realize the uproar that would cause.... his fans would threaten a riot (unless he shared links to that portion of the comic or put it in an upcoming pdf booklet)
Link to what portion of the comic, put what in a booklet? Image

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 am

Changes_everything wrote:
Wolfie wrote: You do realize the uproar that would cause.... his fans would threaten a riot (unless he shared links to that portion of the comic or put it in an upcoming pdf booklet)
You don't remember that we've done this about 10 times now? It's why THunt is taking so long in getting updates out. He's making sure that he doesn't reuse portions of the previous runs to inadvertently trigger the suppressed memories. Some of us are immune because we took that one pill a few months back*.

*This is a joke.... I think

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 am

Wolfie wrote:
Changes_everything wrote:
You don't remember that we've done this about 10 times now? It's why THunt is taking so long in getting updates out. He's making sure that he doesn't reuse portions of the previous runs to inadvertently trigger the suppressed memories. Some of us are immune because we took that one pill a few months back*.

*This is a joke.... I think
THAT is the most advanced conspiracy theory I've ever heard! :D

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 am

I think Thunt takes so long because he is drawing 2 comics.
1 to publish until the reset, and the second to replace the first one in the archives in moment of reset...
He will continue the story outside the MoM waiting for one of us to find out that thestory in the archives is completely different!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am

Or maybe it's even worse!

What if Thunt isn't slow with updates at all? What if there's a new page every day, only we can't remember them, because Oblivion has occurred?

Ôé¼: Just to clarify, I don't really deem the schedule slow, he's working pretty fast actually.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am

If PsiMax does die - the Kins should use the machine to repair his counter so he gets reset to his entry state and loses all his memories.

Except his counter should always display his weakness number, no matter how many times he goes through, so that he is never again able to affect or destroy it.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:43 pm

brnforce wrote:Nope. You aren't thinking Meta enough. I do think the Kins are NPCs that are being controlled by different Herberts (Herberts in several universes), Goldmax is a PC (the same person that is playing our Minmax, just a different universe), and so is Psimax.

:shock: Well we know that our THunt is from the parallel universe called : Canadaland!!

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Oooh, just think what the fans think of the comic in the reality where PsiMax is the protagonist and just got stabbed by some nobody. :shock:

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 pm

brnforce wrote:

:shock: Well we know that our THunt is from the parallel universe called : Canadaland!!
Proof, if it were needed, that evil is truly winning in the multiverse.
Glemp wrote:Unrepentantly pedantic, but in the last panel, Psimax' boot is missing its second cuff - compare with previous, in which there are two visible cuffs.
Pedant fans are truly the best editors

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Kill him, DoucheMax... Kill him A LOT!!!

mnem
Somebody has to say it.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Oooh, just think what the fans think of the comic in the reality where PsiMax is the protagonist and just got stabbed by some nobody. :shock:
Oh I bet their forums are on fire right now. How dare THunt kill of Minmax the unstoppable psion?!? After years of this story arc, covering the 800 MoM runs, he's just going to die? What was the point?? :lol:

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Kill him some more.

*Scuttles off badger-like, cackling maniacally*

mnem
You will be.

Sushulana
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sushulana » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 pm

brnforce wrote:Oh I bet their forums are on fire right now. How dare THunt kill of Minmax the unstoppable psion?!? After years of this story arc, covering the 800 MoM runs, he's just going to die? What was the point?? :lol:
The point is that 1 does NOT equal Zero.... and I think Zero got pissed off. :stab:

I'm so glad I came back to have a look today, it seems as if a resolution is in sight.
Well, for the MoM, anyway. Guess I'll have to stick around a while to see the parties come together.

And.... I don't mean to be grizzly... but have you noticed, we have not been shown any hint of what's left of Kin from the waist down.
Best not to think about it, I guess.