July 16, 2013: Have to End This

Discuss the comic here!
Orangebottle
Remains Silent

Re: July 16, 2013: Have to End This

Post by Orangebottle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Not to insult Thunt, but this felt a little cheap to me.

Here we have this nigh-invulnerable enemy, who finally gets brought low and is about to be finished off...

And someone kills the only guy who can kill him.
By chance?

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tarnagh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh, come ON! :(

Yes, please. It's time to end this. Is it so wrong that at this point I just want to see Psimax gone?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Orangebottle wrote:Not to insult Thunt, but this felt a little cheap to me.

Here we have this nigh-invulnerable enemy, who finally gets brought low and is about to be finished off...

By chance?
Not by chance... PsiMax Threw the BlenderMax at GoldMax...
-Best regards LAYF

Baeronvonbleat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baeronvonbleat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Our MinMax better do "thumb"-thing fast!

-- Side note - It's just proper storytelling, which we would expect from a weaver like Thunt. A good story teller does NOT just introduce "Hey, here's the solution, bam, end big baddy."

Solution is created, seems simple, gets foiled, but provides the window which allows our Minimax to get the advantage.

And he always surprises with the creative ways to have that happen.

And we didn't really like Goldmax that much anyway, as he was kind of a dink himself.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:

By chance?
Also it's also a very well established fact that the floor of the tower room is where everyone is trying to kill everyone else on sight.

Zack`s Face
Remains Silent

Post by Zack`s Face » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 pm

That was my initial thought too.
It felt too much as an anti-climax, somewhat of an deus ex machina.
But then I read the other comments, had another look at the comic and the explanation of PsiMax mentally lifting and throwing BlenderMax into GoldMax seems a lot more plausible now.

After all, there are still enough frenzied fighters in the tower room (Rest In Pieces, BrowGath) to even miss an important message as that of Kin's.

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm

"Guess his luck ran out."

-
The holy glaive is still around, unless its a distraction and Minmax is really going to kill Psi with his thumbs.
Last edited by BordeauxRow on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Marnath wrote:
JustRight wrote:
Rorrik wrote:Astounding, he is still standing with two punctured lungs. Man! We just can't catch a break. It is time to end this.

I wonder if Goldmax's weapon would work. Maybe.
Looks like one to the chest and the other to the upper abdomen - both potentially fatal injuries - should be on the ground, writhing in agony and -8 by now.

Guess Goldmax wasn't so lucky after all... :(
Silly posters, hp are just an abstraction except when used as a joke like with Fox. Everyone else is just a sack of red stuff, he's in positive hp totals so he'll be fine. :P

I like that he had to get to his feet, looks like no more flying for him. If so, probably no more teleporting either. Which means that if even if he still has the splishk power, he can't easily get to 3.5 Kins so they have time to do more to him. Maybe they can cut off those infinite power points. Good idea about Goldmax's weapon still possibly working though. Our Minmax might have trouble reaching it though.

You bring up the great disconnect sometimes evident between our reality and the D&D world of all less than immediately fatal injuries being treated as trivial as long as the HP stays in the black. I hope to see the fantasy arc come closer to reality with real deficits incurred from injuring vital organs -- shock, loss of function. Psimax doesn't seem to even feel his wounds when he stands; but perhaps he just has flat affect - a sociopath could behave like that. When Kin loses her tail, she showed believable signs of shock - a normal reaction.
Last edited by JustRight on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 pm

The problem with watching a comic update by update is you miss the pacing aspect of the comic. Whereas, if you were to go back a story arc, the pacing wouldn't seem so cheap. The near-beating of PsiMax would seem more like...

OMG MinMax is about to die! Kin(s) to the rescue! Awesome plan! Go GoldMax (even though I thought you were a dink about 3 minutes ago)! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Ooooo..... Wha!? You Cheater Psimax...(this is why I can't stand Psions honey... honey.. where'd you go...)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

PsiMax didn't even bat an eye on when he figured Kin 156 was still alive.

But of course, that was the only conclusion he could reach. He has no idea that Sapphire, Ruby and Onyx were able to skip to the end of the maze.

I wonder ... what if the other three Kins were able to figure out their own numbers within the maze? PsiMax worked it out, so that information must be somewhere in his machine where they can find it. If any of them has a MinMax and Forgath still alive and in the tower room, they could assign that reality number as his weakness and send a couple of splishk-proof warriors against him.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Zack`s Face wrote:
But then I read the other comments, had another look at the comic and the explanation of PsiMax mentally lifting and throwing BlenderMax into GoldMax seems a lot more plausible now.

After all, there are still enough frenzied fighters in the tower room (Rest In Pieces, BrowGath) to even miss an important message as that of Kin's.
Now I'm curious about how BladeMax turned around and killed Goldie after being flung backwards with all his blades pointing forwards /nitpick.

JustRight
Eleventy-one

Post by JustRight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Marnath wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:

By chance?
Also it's also a very well established fact that the floor of the tower room is where everyone is trying to kill everyone else on sight.

It seems BlenderMax didn't get the message about the "purple-armed alt" - well, he also seems to be missing half his brain, which could explain his lack of higher functions .
Last edited by JustRight on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sam Spade

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Wolfie wrote:The problem with watching a comic update by update is you miss the pacing aspect of the comic. Whereas, if you were to go back a story arc, the pacing wouldn't seem so cheap. The near-beating of PsiMax would seem more like...

OMG MinMax is about to die! Kin(s) to the rescue! Awesome plan! Go GoldMax (even though I thought you were a dink about 3 minutes ago)! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Ooooo..... Wha!? You Cheater Psimax...(this is why I can't stand Psions honey... honey.. where'd you go...)
On the contrary, Kin's splishking wouldn't have had nearly as much impact if a few minutes later I'm going 'Oh, she's alive, okay then.' instead of days of angsting and threatening the author.

JustRight
Eleventy-one

Post by JustRight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 pm

I think THunt plans to have PsiMax find out about the 3.5 Kins before he dies...to make his defeat more profound, more satisfying.
Last edited by JustRight on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sam Spade

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:56 pm

JustRight wrote:It seems BlenderMax didn't get the message about the "purple-armed alt" - well, he also seems to be missing half his brain, which could explain his lack of control.
He's just been thrown at someone in a room where everyone tries to kill you. Killing him before remembering that he wasn't meant to is forgiveable.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:And just to detail the action in case it's unclear for anyone:

9. Why did we name him?
Because WearsHats started a discussion about a preview of MINotaurMAX.
With an incomplete picture which doesn't show the hooves...

Edit: And why did the Kinship get renamed to 3.5?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Krulle wrote:Edit: And why did the Kinship get renamed to 3.5?
b/c there are three and a half of them (Poor Kin)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Blendermax seems like he did not care, even if he'd heard, that killing Psimax was the priority. In other words, Blendermax was just an insane killing machine. Witness: no words from him. And it make sense for his chosen optimization.

I had no problem figuring out the action and invisible TK.

But, I would have liked to have seen Blendermax in at least 1 page prior to his 'use', which I think would have felt a little less deus ex machina.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Wolfie wrote:The problem with watching a comic update by update is you miss the pacing aspect of the comic. Whereas, if you were to go back a story arc, the pacing wouldn't seem so cheap. The near-beating of PsiMax would seem more like...

agreed, we spend days and days mulling over minutiae but when read at a normal speed you would spend about 8 seconds reading the thing and maybe half a second thinking about it if you had a page turn

so it's no more a deus ex machina than forgath saying 'how about 6 (feet)?' and then it being shot down a second later

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Wolfie wrote:
Krulle wrote:Edit: And why did the Kinship get renamed to 3.5?
b/c there are three and a half of them (Poor Kin)
The why of the name is clear.
Also as a side joke to the rules book of D'n'D...

Ah well. It's Kinship for Onyx, Ruby, and Sapphire, and Kins 3.5 for the Kinship + Kin #156 then...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Glemp wrote:
Zack`s Face wrote:

Now I'm curious about how BladeMax turned around and killed Goldie after being flung backwards with all his blades pointing forwards /nitpick.
Actually, I was questioning why the "SLRRIIP" was still a Purple IME? I almost think that PsiMax not only threw BlenderMax into GoldMax, but that PsiMax actually controlled BlenderMax's movement to cause the SLRRIIP itself? Else, it should've been a different color, I think?

ETA: In other words, if BlenderMax hadn't been close, I'm sure PsiMax would've found something else in the room (rubble from the smashed tower?) to throw at, and disable/harm/kill GoldMax, since PsiMax couldn't harm him directly.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm

stevedj wrote: Actually, I was questioning why the "SLRRIIP" was still a Purple IME? I almost think that PsiMax not only threw BlenderMax into GoldMax, but that PsiMax actually controlled BlenderMax's movement to cause the SLRRIIP itself? Else, it should've been a different color, I think?

ETA: In other words, if BlenderMax hadn't been close, I'm sure PsiMax would've found something else in the room (rubble from the smashed tower?) to throw at, and disable/harm/kill GoldMax, since PsiMax couldn't harm him directly.
I think Minmax' have a purple IME anyway? MM 156 shows his here.

Quimper
Remains Silent

Post by Quimper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Nice concentration-check on Psimax after all that 2h-damage to his chest. Oo

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Lots of forumities expected PsiMax to through something at GoldMax (that does make a lot of sence) if I recall 2 previous discussion threads correctly. And now many others complain about a deus ex machina... How can it be one if so many people have foreseen this outcome? Well, it wasn't another alt we expected to be used for it, more of some item, but isn't it cooler to see a new monster and some nice gore?
Anyway, I like this page. Isn't it ironic that GoldMax was killed by a demon-like creatur and in a similar way Dies was killed by a demon?

Destynova
Remains Silent

Post by Destynova » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Hrumph. Disappointed that Godmax is still kicking but I guess that is how the story goes, it has to be 'our' Minmax that kills him.

I am guessing that Godmax gives an ultimatum that Minmax draw his sword or he will teleport and kill Kin.