25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Discuss the comic here!
Hippo
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Post by Hippo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm

call me crazy but...countdown to Psimax Ressurection in 5...4....3...2...1.....Sonovacrap!
I'm hungry, but i'm not hungry hungry...

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Perhaps the psionic device which is only acting as a conduit and representation of the physics of the MoM is going through part of the process of a total reset.
Normally the reset would be triggered automatically when set conditions are met, but by interacting with the regeneration aspect of the device, Forgath has triggered part of the reset sequence.

Lets say that in the maze, you get burnt to a crisp. The maze would need to have a backup copy of you to re-boot from. It would have that data from the moment you first entered the maze.
But perhaps in order to reset you correctly, it has to re-build you to whatever specifications your DNA specifies as "perfect health" first and then apply the changes of state to put you back to the way you was upon entering the maze. Maybe that's what's happening, but the system isn't working the way it should due to the restoration unit being activated manually?

I expect the device interacts with space and time in some way that we don't yet understand.
Maybe the regeneration component couldn't restore Forgaths beard fully because His body/IME knew it should be there and used the power of the regenerator to fill in the shape, but the maze had no memory of it ever being there so it's regeneration power couldn't fill in the details. The same for Minmax's eye and scar, his IME wanted to repair the damage but the maze had no memory of it ever being fully functional/without the scar. Although I don't see how that would explain 156's returning memories relating to Forgath's beard...

jakesdad
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: jakesdad

Post by jakesdad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Zambee wrote:Perhaps the psionic device which is only acting as a conduit and representation of the physics of the MoM is going through part of the process of a total reset.
Normally the reset would be triggered automatically when set conditions are met, but by interacting with the regeneration aspect of the device, Forgath has triggered part of the reset sequence.

Lets say that in the maze, you get burnt to a crisp. The maze would need to have a backup copy of you to re-boot from. It would have that data from the moment you first entered the maze.
Because this machine is a construct of Psimax, it can't be the mechanism used by the Maze of Many to reset the maze with everyone back in their original positions, fully healed. I could be based on it, sure, but noone at the beginning of the maze had limbs the color of their IMEs.

It could be a backup device to restore Psimax in the case of his death through whatever means. After all, he does not want all of his knowledge, XP, and planning to be lost because of a mistake or unforseen circumstance. This device would have been especially useful when he was first exploring every inch of the maze, plus it's location is perfect. At the end, but not where anyone can get to it.

PsiMax's arms don't look the same, with their shading. So I doubt they were made from this device.

Khazar
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Khazar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't think we've seen the armour purple before. The colours (I think) we've seen are: Pink, Grey, Blue, Red, White, Black, and now Purple. As long as MinMax doesn't run off to join the saints I think purple will be good :)
I'm sorry, are you addressing me? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass. - Doctor Krieger

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Forgath's going to have a heck of a time keeping his beard tidy if he can't trim it :)
All hail the power of the stick!

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Forgath's going to have a heck of a time keeping his beard tidy if he can't trim it :)
He never trims it anyway, he just braids it and leaves the end looking like a hacked off rope. http://www.goblinscomic.org/09102010/

Gherkin
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gherkin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Well, at least we know where PsiMax's purple arms came from. And I seriously doubt that the only use for the "restoration" gear is going to be to get Kin's tail back. That seems a little too "convenient" for Thunt's writing style. I suspect more PsiMax-ery in the near future.

Sojourn
Remains Silent

Post by Sojourn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:43 pm

if Kin got her tail back that way, would it make her tail indestructible?
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Hippo wrote:call me crazy but...countdown to Psimax Ressurection in 5...4....3...2...1.....Sonovacrap!
My thought exactly. This regeneration thing is a trap.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Insane Kitty wrote:if Kin got her tail back that way, would it make her tail indestructible?
But kin didn't get her tail back (yet)...
(I still the trace of the exploded tail).
Question is why.

Tutenkharnage
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tutenkharnage » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Most importantly, does this finally kill that crap 'theory' that has persisted for years that Kore is Forgath from the future? This doesn't look very impervious to physical damage to me.
Has it really been 32 months since we've last seen the GAP?

willpell
Banned

Re: 20 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Post by willpell » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Liesmith wrote:Anyone else thinking Kin will get to strangle a resurrected Psimax with her indestructible tail?
But then it wouldn't be Minmax killing him twice....
Catmandont wrote:It's kind of taupe/tannish, but I suck at naming colors.
I'd have called it beige.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: 20 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm

willpell wrote:
Liesmith wrote:Anyone else thinking Kin will get to strangle a resurrected Psimax with her indestructible tail?
But then it wouldn't be Minmax killing him twice....

Oooh, she could hold Psimax while Minmax gives him a thumbs-up!
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 pm

If Sapphire uses the reconstruction gears, will she get her memory back?
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Changes_everything wrote:I wonder what would happen if they tried to cut the beard with Oblivious.

Division by zero, sort of....

*badum-ching*
You just won.

Also, kind of sad Forgath fixed his beard...I liked his goofy hair cut :(
I am high in fructose.

gage129
Remains Silent

Post by gage129 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:53 pm

wait, did MinMax actually touch the pillar/gear thing or was it the result of the count down? Because that would explain everyone's surprise when his eye was suddenly fixed.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm

This scene reminds me of a line from Futurama...
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:33 pm

notimportant wrote:It's the origin of Superbeard, bane of scissors and razors everywhere!
Also, Minmax might have purple skin patches on his head, depending on if that was scarred or just "lost HP".
That might be the case. By the looks of it something is forcing all that blood off of him.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Cue for Ruby flying off the handle at what Minmax did in 5..4..3..2..1..

Then again, I might not be giving her enough credit...
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 am

Yeah. great update.
And it works by touching only.....

Very uncareful of Forgath to lean against something made of psionic energies....

Also love the purple eye.... Minmax should notice a massive improvement in eyesight....

Also, why is Minmax's skull not violet? It healed, but remained skin coloured....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 am

I took it that the pillar heals as much as it can like a healing potion. If the scalp lacerations could be healed by a potion, then there's no scarring to make purpley.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:21 am

RidcullyJack wrote:I took it that the pillar heals as much as it can like a healing potion. If the scalp lacerations could be healed by a potion, then there's no scarring to make purpley.
I get the feeling that the more serious wounds on the back of the head (Which are obscured by the perspective we're given) are still going to be replaced by the pillar, since wounds like that are probably going to leave serious scars. (Though it might be that the pillar chooses to heal scars that already exist, not those that are going to appear after healing)
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 am

Do we know yet what Kin's IME is? Because if it's never been seen before, then it's another reason I'd definitely want to see her to grabbing that Psyonic doo-dad :)

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 am

I would a thort the gears heal injuries caused within the maze (beard) not injuries from outside the maze (eye) and how can hair be an iinjury.