25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Discuss the comic here!
OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly

Re: 25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Post by OnceUponATime » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

theory: maze resets as a result of Forgath touching the pillar. FMK and 3K are not affected because they are inn the machine room, but since Psimax's counter is down then he remembers everything that happens. he comes to the machine room and he is the one who says "remember me?" (similar to http://www.goblinscomic.org/06042013/), and Minmiax, instinctively, takes out obvilious.

I just want to see what happens if obvilious touches the restiration gear

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 pm

OnceUponATime wrote:theory: maze resets as a result of Forgath touching the pillar. FMK and 3K are not affected because they are inn the machine room, but since Psimax's counter is down then he remembers everything that happens. he comes to the machine room and he is the one who says "remember me?" (similar to http://www.goblinscomic.org/06042013/), and Minmiax, instinctively, takes out obvilious.
Well, it is certainly a possibility, but is it something Psimax is likely to say?. He hasn't previously shown a lot of interest in what alts do or do not remember, after all . . . or even if they live or die.

Why would he think it was a good idea to come after a Minmax who has some sort of ability to kill him, plus at least one ally ( or he is likely to calculate on probably two or more allies, because even a dimmo like me would be saying "Hey, I had splished the Kins tail, and pinned the Dwarf, must be someone else involved" at that point ) who has taken control of his machinery?
Confronting them would certainly be a losing battle because he no longer has his Mojo, and for all he knows they have set up to attack him. Now, he may well be worried about them coming after him or altering his machine so the maze never re-sets him at all, but he will be too intelligent to risk it all on a head-on attack unless the odds are heavily in his favour, (which , being who he is, he may have a cunning plan to alter the odds already in place as a back-up.)

Instead, he can simply wait somewhere in the maze. He will be aware the winning party is going to leave, which will re-set the maze. And if he made the Mojo machine, making it once means he can make it twice. After they leave ( and even if they re-build his counter by remote, he reasoned out he ought to break it once, he can just do it all again) he can set back on his task.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Jochi wrote:Anybody else think it's funny that a dwarf's beard is something the machine sees as missing and restores, but not Forgath's or MinMax's scalp hair or MinMax's facial hair? Not milieu inappropriate, more like a milieu-based joke.
Perhaps there's a very non-humorous reason. A while ago, I was looking for a way to have a villain faux-rape a character's elven cohort, as a way of making him more evil without being so squicky as to do an actual rape, and I came up with the idea of having him give her a haricut - which would seem ridiculous, until the elf grudgingly admitted a little-known fact about her people: that they have a sense of feeling in their hair, and thus getting it cut is agony to them, just like cutting their flesh. It struck me as a way to neatly differentiate my campaign's elves, without actually changing anything mechanically; it would explain why elves of both genders virtually always have long, straight hair, and generally contributes to their "elfiness". The idea never actually came up in play though. But what if dwarf beards were the same way, if they actually form sensory apparatus of a sort?

It'd make Kore that much more of a badass, if cutting his beard off was as pleasant as removing an unwanted finger.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 pm

ChuckNorris wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:
ChuckNorris wrote:Out of interest, am I the only one here hoping that
A) Psimax doesn't come back just so Minmax can kill him again
and B) That Kin doesn't get her tail back?
I don't think that Thunt would have bothered to create this device unless either A, B or both were true. I wouldn't have an issue with A as it would just be a quick joke. B is a bigger issue. He wrenched a lot of emotion from that moment and reversing the effect a few pages later (seems like it's been months, no?) is pretty cheap. Especially as loss of limbs as been such a huge theme in this comic and numerous characters have grown to regret their magical limb replacement strategies.
I guess I just don't want a villain brought back then immediately killed as a joke. It just seems a bit cheap to me really, that a powerful enemy might be brought back just for the sake of making someone's threat come true. I get one of the two'll probably happen, but I still don't want them to :(
If Kin doesn't get her tail back, than travel would eventually become too annoying to continue. It would come to dominate her story.

Not to mention, there must be some vital organs back there. I doubt if she would live very long with no tail.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 am

If Yuan-Ti physiology is similar to snakes, then the internal organs nearest the end of the tail are the kidneys. Lack of kidney function in reptiles can cause: reduced muscle tone, tremors and lethargy.

If Yuan-Ti are like humans, then all their important organs are in their torso, which Kin still has intact.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:30 am

RidcullyJack wrote:.

If Yuan-Ti are like humans, then all their important organs are in their torso*, which Kin still has intact.
As the famous man was fond of exclaiming . . . CRIKEY !

Speak for your self. I have three very important-to-me organs not quite in my torso, though two of them just tried to crawl there in sympathy. :lol:

*My (cringing, emphatic) emphasis. :P

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 am

:rofl: Fair point. But there's plenty of evidence that people can survive without those organs.

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 am

RidcullyJack wrote::rofl: Fair point. But there's plenty of evidence that people can survive without those organs.
just some of us wouldn't want to.. :'(
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 am

Jochi wrote:Anybody else think it's funny that a dwarf's beard is something the machine sees as missing and restores, but not Forgath's or MinMax's scalp hair or MinMax's facial hair? Not milieu inappropriate, more like a milieu-based joke.
Isn't it like this:
Beard and eye are replaced, because they were destroyed/wiped out of existence. Thus they are added.
Nothing appears on their heads, because nothing is added, pieces of skin are just joining together and wound is healed/scared up.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 am

Can anyone tell which "bits are spinning closer and closer to the center"? I can't see any difference between the reconstruction pillar from the first panel to the tenth.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 am

Heh, just noticed that Minmax's armor changed color...

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 am

RidcullyJack wrote:If Yuan-Ti physiology is similar to snakes, then the internal organs nearest the end of the tail are the kidneys. Lack of kidney function in reptiles can cause: reduced muscle tone, tremors and lethargy.

If Yuan-Ti are like humans, then all their important organs are in their torso, which Kin still has intact.
Kin did not lose just the part "nearest the end of the tail", though. She lost her entire tail, including presumably her reproductive organs.

Oh, and with the new colouring, MM doesn't just have a purple eye, he has a reflective purple eye, which will do wonderful things to his vision, I'm sure. Though why he has an entire purple eye in the first place, instead of just along the scar...

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 am

I like how Kin is visibly blushing in this update. She must enjoy having Minmax hold her.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 am

Insane Kitty wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote::rofl: Fair point. But there's plenty of evidence that people can survive without those organs.
It's just that some of us wouldn't want to... :'(
The spayed and neutered will cry out "Help us!" and I'll wisper back "lol no".
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 am

Wait! If MinMax actually got his eye restored... does he still have a grudge against Names? Suppose his eye is "better" than before -- he should be thanking Names, not killing him... :D

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 am

Sooo...what do you fine ladies and gents expect to be a bigger plot point, 'bullet proof eye/scar' or Bullet proof beard.
Or is it another Red helmet..

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 am

Actually, I wonder just what the GAP will do when they're met by the Technicolour Twosome. They'll be simultaneously going "Sonova crap it's THEM!", and "Bwaha-ha-ha! Does your beard glow in the dark, too?"

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:10 am

willpell wrote:I like how Kin is visibly blushing in this update. She must enjoy having Minmax hold her.
You're more perceptive than I if you're seeing a blush in there. Maybe I'm not getting the shaded version yet?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:31 am

Master TMO wrote:
willpell wrote:I like how Kin is visibly blushing in this update. She must enjoy having Minmax hold her.
You're more perceptive than I if you're seeing a blush in there. Maybe I'm not getting the shaded version yet?
It's difficult to make out, but it's easy to see if you know it's there.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 am

Hmm.. yea... but she also blushes on older pages.. so its not MM.. sadly...

here when she says hay http://www.goblinscomic.org/08102013-2/
and here in panel 7 http://www.goblinscomic.org/08062013/
-Best regards LAYF

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 am

The arms were created from the machine I bet. He's going to come back 100% purple.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:The arms were created from the machine I bet. He's going to come back 100% purple.
Hah! I was just going to post a thought that maybe Psimax's arms came from this, due to losing them at some point during a prior run, and for some reason the Maze didn't reset them (probably because of the destruction of his counter). Which also possibly means that if Kin 156 got her tail restored through this that it'd be funky looking in some way like his arms were. Color would be her standard pale green, of course.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. yea... but she also blushes on older pages.. so its not MM.. sadly...

here when she says hay http://www.goblinscomic.org/08102013-2/
and here in panel 7 http://www.goblinscomic.org/08062013/
Well, she's sharing a tender moment with him in the first one, but yeah I guess the second means it's just Thunt giving her a complexion.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 pm

willpell wrote:
Jochi wrote:She already has PART of it back, but not through anything SHE did. And I'm surprised it didn't immediately alarm Ruby that she remembers 'the psion'.
Wait. There's been a change since last night. Sapphire no longer mentions Psimax. Forget half of what I said. A minor oversight elegantly fixed.
Hm, guess I wasn't as fast as I thought I was grabbing the new one; I did it sometime Sunday night, but maybe not at the earliest opportunity (I was at the State Fair all day, so the soonest I could have done it was about 7:30 local time, and possibly an hour or two later). Does anyone remember (or "remember") the original dialogue?
Not exactly. It was something like "But why did the psion make this?" or "But why did the psion put this here?"
It could have been removed because THunt decided it was too spoilery, or because he judged that the time it takes Sapphire to forget 'the dead' had expired.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:Can anyone tell which "bits are spinning closer and closer to the center"? I can't see any difference between the reconstruction pillar from the first panel to the tenth.
I can't see a difference either. I believe that that Sapphire is speaking about the kind of rod looking things orbiting the cylinder because when speaking with Ruby she is looking eye-level at the restoration cylinder but then when she says or notices that the 'bits are spinning closer' she is looking down, presumably towards the rods because only the rods would be that far down on the cylinder when compared to her eye-level.

Just a guess though.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie