04 September 2013: Two...

Discuss the comic here!
biggmac
Remains Silent

Re: 04 September 2013: Two...

Post by biggmac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Two ways to interpret Kin's face on the last panel-

1. "How ... cruel! I can't believe how much hate is in you. I'll never join your team!"

2. "O... M... G... you're right! What was I thinking??? I was about to kiss a stinking human! I can't believe I've let him decieve me!"

And, BTW, Thunt, I know you said you produced a vacuum (i.e. sucked) at profiles. While I disagree - I must say that your straight ahead faces are just so awesome! This page is testament to that fact. I love panel 8 especially!

Caowyth
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Caowyth » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm actually wondering what Ruby is doing with her right hand while her left is grabbing her own collar. It looks outstretched. And she's looking down.

willpell
Banned

Re: September 4, 2013: "Yes, we are different."

Post by willpell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I'm half expecting Ruby to grab the leash and go "Kill the human and the dwarf and join us."
For that to work, Ruby would have to hold the leash the whole time, which would significantly limit both Kin-156's deadliness (being leashed) and her own (having to give up one hand when she's a dual-wielder).
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Re: September 4, 2013: "Yes, we are different."

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm

willpell wrote:
Aegis J Hyena wrote:I'm half expecting Ruby to grab the leash and go "Kill the human and the dwarf and join us."
For that to work, Ruby would have to hold the leash the whole time, which would significantly limit both Kin-156's deadliness (being leashed) and her own (having to give up one hand when she's a dual-wielder).
And if Ruby ever let go of the leash, Kin would kill her.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

I dunno...I don't really hate Ruby after this update. She hasn't really displayed any treacherous behavior yet, she's only voiced her shock that Kin would be willing to trust someone of the same species as the man who tortured them. Keep in mind that, for Ruby, Goblinslayer wasn't an "isolated incident". Her Forgath and Minmax were arguably just as bad (unless I'm mixing up my Altsplanations). To her, the majority of the humans she's met have either tortured her, or been complicit in her torture. Seeing Kin about to kiss Minmax has got to seem incredibly reprehensible to her.

I can't imagine that she would ever use the leash against Kin. If she does, then she has ventured into straight-up villain territory, and I hope Kin gives her an enthusiastic hug. With her tail. Around her neck.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 pm

A quick thought... what if that comment is the thing that pushes Kin to see whether the gigantic explosion curse on the collar was a bluff or not?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Strawberrycocoa wrote:A quick thought... what if that comment is the thing that pushes Kin to see whether the gigantic explosion curse on the collar was a bluff or not?
The explosion was supposed to level mountains, so it wouldn't be very responsible to take that chance while still in the MOM with Minmax (and Forgath).
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BreaksGlasses
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by BreaksGlasses » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Liesmith wrote:I dunno...I don't really hate Ruby after this update. She hasn't really displayed any treacherous behavior yet, she's only voiced her shock that Kin would be willing to trust someone of the same species as the man who tortured them. Keep in mind that, for Ruby, Goblinslayer wasn't an "isolated incident". Her Forgath and Minmax were arguably just as bad (unless I'm mixing up my Altsplanations). To her, the majority of the humans she's met have either tortured her, or been complicit in her torture. Seeing Kin about to kiss Minmax has got to seem incredibly reprehensible to her.

I can't imagine that she would ever use the leash against Kin. If she does, then she has ventured into straight-up villain territory, and I hope Kin gives her an enthusiastic hug. With her tail. Around her neck.
Yeah, but she also saw that not all humans are evil trough that lady in Brassmoon city lady that nursed her back to health. Also I think she should logically understan that by being completly different realities some of them would have certain characteristics that would seem completely insane to her.
Strawberrycocoa wrote:A quick thought... what if that comment is the thing that pushes Kin to see whether the gigantic explosion curse on the collar was a bluff or not?
The leash is a cursed item and to remove it someone has to cast remove curse, the required caster level for remove curse is five and Forgath is still level three so no, I don't think that's gonna happen.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 pm

I have a little compassion for Ruby. She isn't half as tough as "our" Kin, and is after all not really saying "You can't be serious, Kin, it is a human, kill it with fire"

She is saying "I can't bear what happened to me, even a perfectly good male human is , like that rapist barstard, a male human"

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 am

Seeing the timing of the blogs around THunt's mom ( http://www.goblinscomic.org/kins-story-is-kind-of-true/ ), I expected something like this.
And I find it very well done so far.
Seeing the incredible complexity and difficulty of such a topic, I must admire THunt for how he handles this and his determination to bring it into his comic.

Thank you, THunt.

And Ruby: that was a low blow. And likely you know it, or will recognize it within a few panels.

(minor thing, I was wondering that noone commented on it yet: panel 1: as far as I know "referring" is spelled with a double "r" in the middle in all English spelling variations)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 am

I expect a splendid rebuttal about how Dellyn still controls Ruby's thoughts and actions. Of course in a far more emotional way that still makes you want to hug Jade while making Ruby wallow in self pity. (and of course Onyx will try to comfort ruby..)

cyco
Mutters to Themself

Post by cyco » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 am

I find this update extremely interesting. A good example of two different opinions being voiced by believable characters.
Oh and the art is somehow different, better. It makes me think that Thunt's favorite character to draw is Kin.

Reads_Books
Whispers Softly

Post by Reads_Books » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 am

I'm not normally the type for wild speculation, but I can see one of three things happening next.

1) Kin runs (glides) back to Forgath and MinMax and demands that they take her collar off Right Now!
2) Kin runs (glides) back to Forgath and MinMax and demands that MinMax pick up her leash, to prove that he wouldn't do anything bad to her.
3) Kin opens a can of verbal whoop-ass on Ruby that leaves her so stunned that she doesn't know what to do.
I have always imagined that Paradise would be a kind of Library

Jorges Luis Borges

Buta
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Buta » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

I do think Ruby is being very unfair on Kin because I feel she is failing to appreciate the fact they are from different worlds... but I'm kind of hoping that Kin's response after the last panel will be one of at least empathy towards Ruby, rather than returned hostility, since I think Kin is more likely to have the clearer mind of the two and see through Ruby's harsh front. Perhaps even a hug? Shall have to see. :)

fifty
Whispers Softly

Post by fifty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah.. cant see a hug going down too well! :)

..but our Kin's a bright girl, she'll have a good comeback! ..please! :)
Orbis Terrarum - British swords, sorcery & science - now on DrivethruRPG :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:52 pm

cyco wrote:Oh and the art is somehow different, better. It makes me think that Thunt's favorite character to draw is Kin.
It's not yet shaded. That may be the reason. (I like it unshaded too, better than shaded. Shaded is better for the background, but especially the characters I like in the "flat" naive style better.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Iron Sun 254
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Iron Sun 254 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:37 pm

"...the newly created matter is much more dense. I bet it's almost impervious to physical damage..."

Kin's tail is now nearly indestructible... if a fight goes down this is going to be a major factor.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity....that's where I live, baby!

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Well in my personal opinion Ruby is flatly wrong! The necklace and collar are completely different!

The Collar was put on Kin against her will and forces her to do whatever the HOLDER of the cord wants her to do!

The Necklace KIN put on... of her Own Free will!

Kin decides if she will wear it or take it off and SHE decides what she will do... not Minmax or Forgath and NOT Ruby for that matter!!!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Ardhanarishvara
Remains Silent

Post by Ardhanarishvara » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:40 pm

I wonder if Forgath has reached level five yet.

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 pm

I hope that our Kin will realize that Ruby is just as she said - hurt. A sharp reply will not help things.

But for Herbert's sake tie up that leash! I think I've said it before, but it's really bothering me.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Iron Sun 254 wrote:"...the newly created matter is much more dense. I bet it's almost impervious to physical damage..."

Kin's tail is now nearly indestructible... if a fight goes down this is going to be a major factor.
Sure would help in a repeat of the "Stop helping me!" situation...not only is Kin's tail now easily distinguished from any other Kin-tails, but if he did stab her by accident she probably wouldn't feel it.
My long-neglected blog.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

So is Kin (and Forgath's beard) now a lot more massive or does Thunt not really know what "density" is? :)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:So is Kin (and Forgath's beard) now a lot more massive or does Thunt not really know what "density" is? :)
"Why do you insist on carrying your beard in your backpack?"
"THE THING IS HEAVY, OKAY?"
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 pm

willpell wrote:
DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:So is Kin (and Forgath's beard) now a lot more massive or does Thunt not really know what "density" is? :)
HAHAHAHAHAH!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 pm

willpell wrote:
OK, that comment got me some funny looks from the folks with whom I share an office :lol:
All hail the power of the stick!