September 19, 2013: Ding Ding

Discuss the comic here!
spiderwrangler
Game Master

September 19, 2013: Ding Ding

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Welp, a number of folks called it... I love the look of terror and defeat on his face.

Linkie... http://www.goblinscomic.org/09192013/
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: Ding Ding: 9/19/2013

Post by Xavier78 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Did I miss something? What did he "choose" as his treasure?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Xavier78 wrote:Did I miss something? What did he "choose" as his treasure?
I think once you step into blue, you've won. The expectation would be that you grab some loot before stepping into red... hard to do when someone throws you across the floor. Apparently his new body has a lower coefficient of friction than real flesh.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Re: September 19, 2013: Ding Ding

Post by Master TMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:49 pm

It probably assumes that you'd walk in to the blue circle to claim the win, go get a treasure, then enter the red circle. It wasn't expecting a power slide from one to the other.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Nothing I don't think - he just slid straight into the 'exit' circle and out. (edit: soooo ninja'd)

Does anyone else think that Forgath and his beard make it look like Sapphire has an angry inner monster on show?

Chessrook44
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Chessrook44 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Xavier78 wrote:Did I miss something? What did he "choose" as his treasure?
NOTHING!

Also, brilliant Minmax. I honestly never would have thought of that.

But, wait, does this mean they don't get the pity win?

Scorvos
Remains Silent

Post by Scorvos » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm

I would have Yelled 'Cheeeeeateeeer!' but that is just me.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Welp, a number of folks called it... I love the look of terror and defeat on his face.

Linkie... http://www.goblinscomic.org/09192013/
Yup. Not quite as good as killing him twice, but good enough.
Also, the folk that said if you aren't careful about entering the red circle immediately after the blue one were correct, too. He went back empty-handed, thanks to the momentum MM gave him.
On the other hand, that might have been him dissolving rather than being sent back. We've debated whether Oblivious can exist outside the MoM. What if solidified-IME replacement matter can't? That would mean MM did kill him twice, but it would be bad for Kin, unless they reset and do this all over again.

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 pm

It's a brilliant solution alright, but I find it a shame that Psimax's Forgath and Kin are now dead forever. I felt bad for those two.
We're all mad here.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Nothing I don't think - he just slid straight into the 'exit' circle and out. (edit: soooo ninja'd)

Does anyone else think that Forgath and his beard make it look like Sapphire has an angry inner monster on show?
Hehe.. this was actually my first thought "What? does any of the kin's have a stomach mouth? how have I missed thi.... ooooh.... Forgath.. I seee"
-Best regards LAYF

heridfel
Remains Silent

Post by heridfel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm curious about the implications of "selected your treasure". Does each person in a group get to select something, or is it one item per group? Knowing D&D players, I'd expect the normal selection would be "everything" unless some mechanism blocks it.

I figure Kin's selection is the Jade Teapot, and Min-Max will get to keep at least the armor, and hopefully Oblivious. Will Forgath get cool loot, or just the shaft?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Many people called it, and since Sapphire has the maze on manual, the rest can take their pick of goodies unless the circles "turn off" or something...

Hey Thunt, can you publish a list of every item in the treasure room there for us gamers? I'm just curious as to what's in there. :)
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:59 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:Nothing I don't think - he just slid straight into the 'exit' circle and out. (edit: soooo ninja'd)

Hehe.. this was actually my first thought "What? does any of the kin's have a stomach mouth? how have I missed thi.... ooooh.... Forgath.. I seee"
"Oh no Minmax! Look out behind you, there's a sneaky ... Oh. Never mind. "

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:04 pm

But, what will happen to PsiMax's reality's Forgath and Kin? They will resurrect outside the maze. Psimax will probably try to kill them again... and this time they'll remain dead.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:09 pm

LarsenSan wrote:But, what will happen to PsiMax's reality's Forgath and Kin? They will resurrect outside the maze. Psimax will probably try to kill them again... and this time they'll remain dead.
If Kin's understanding is correct, they stay dead. If she is wrong, and they do resurrect, Psimax may be psionically exhausted and easily defeated.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ThatGuy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ThatGuy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

LarsenSan wrote:But, what will happen to PsiMax's reality's Forgath and Kin? They will resurrect outside the maze. Psimax will probably try to kill them again... and this time they'll remain dead.
Out of sight, out of mind.

And who knows, maybe they can get the jump on him while Psimax is distracted by his grief.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

ThatGuy wrote:
Out of sight, out of mind.

And who knows, maybe they can get the jump on him while Psimax is distracted by his grief.
Nope, it was said earlier they'll stay dead now Psimax's left. Also, just how strong is minmax to be able to throw psimax that far? :shock:

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
If Kin's understanding is correct, they stay dead. If she is wrong, and they do resurrect, Psimax may be psionically exhausted and easily defeated.
Aw crap... then they are dead. It's a pity we didn't learn anything about them...

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

On the plus side though, 'our' FMK team is free to join the 3 Kin Band in remembering resets and level grinding, since they're not getting the pity win. I wonder if MinMax will get to keep Oblivious? We see him draw it while wearing green. Which means that either he keeps it (in it's new form is it immune to resets?), or they make sure to rush to that weapon and armor every time and oblivion holes don't reset with the MoM, or they use the Jade Teapot to leave the MoM now, without winning, losing the Teapot in the process.

Personally, I'm betting on them Teapotting out of the MoM, with the 3KB choosing to go to their reality and bring the Teapot with them when they eventually leave. Which would also mean at some point in the future a trio of very powerful Kins could show up to save the day.

(Edit: And according to the Goblin Character Stats thread, MinMax's Strength is 22. Easily strong enough to throw a light man one-handed. Apparently even strong enough to throw a heavy-dense light man one-handed. )

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Master TMO wrote: Personally, I'm betting on them Teapotting out of the MoM, with the 3KB choosing to go to their reality and bring the Teapot with them when they eventually leave. Which would also mean at some point in the future a trio of very powerful Kins could show up to save the day.
The maze exists as a moment in time. If the Trio elect to go to reality 156 after grinding, they'll arrive at the same time MFK do, even if they're all old and gray by then.
It would be amusing if Ruby and Onyx were holding hands and grinning as they show up.

pointsthingsout
Remains Silent

Post by pointsthingsout » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:28 pm

De-lurking to point out one simple thing for you happy folk. Actually, two things: A) prophecy isn't fulfilled yet and B) look at Ruby.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 pm

If it is a slide or tumble from 1 circle to the next from the throw, it looks odd to me. He's on his back in the first one and on his stomach in the 2nd one, with speed lines conecting the 2. The speed lines suggest to me that he DID choose a treasure, and then the maze moves him to the exit hole. In which case I'd like to know what he chose.

Also, how can our FMK win now? Isn't there only 1 winning team per run? And Psimax just became the winning team. Sigh, I suspect it will be "oh we control the gears" again. I sigh because shouldn't the maze be resetting right now, nearly instantly after Psimax's win?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 pm

That ending was expected by many but nevertheless satisfying. Can't wait for the GAP!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

hangwind
Remains Silent

Post by hangwind » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Gordian Knot? Meet Oblivious! (I think that that would make an excellent title for Minmax.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:If it is a slide or tumble from 1 circle to the next from the throw, it looks odd to me. He's on his back in the first one and on his stomach in the 2nd one, with speed lines conecting the 2. The speed lines suggest to me that he DID choose a treasure, and then the maze moves him to the exit hole. In which case I'd like to know what he chose.

Also, how can our FMK win now? Isn't there only 1 winning team per run? And Psimax just became the winning team. Sigh, I suspect it will be "oh we control the gears" again. I sigh because shouldn't the maze be resetting right now, nearly instantly after Psimax's win?
The reset's been put on manual: http://www.goblinscomic.org/09092013/