4 October 2013: Racist Axe

Discuss the comic here!
RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Re: 4 October 2013: Racist Axe

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 am

MrTNT wrote:... He then drives me, riding shotgun, to the store so I can buy more liquor, and then is kind enough to take me home, and lets me flip the siren switch on the way! Awesome night, fuck the ex-wife!...

...I imagine he's left the racist ax on his hip, or in a bag along with Forgath's initial hammer...
Yeah, take that ex-wife. Bet she didn't get a ride in a real police car, or a walk in the rain, or lots of vodka. Hah!

Unfortunately, Psimax splishked Forgath's mace, and Minmax lost his backpack in an Oblivion hole. (The holy symbol on the end of the handle was unsplishked). Forgath really needs to choose a weapon for his treasure.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:59 am

Well, I'm thinking there's no way he'll take anything with a blade, so those awesome looking swords are out. Also, I'm not sure if having a spiked shield and bashing it into people would be against Forgath's rules as a cleric. Maybe he'll just pick an all powerful trinket or something.

Also of notice; not one of the items that we've seen so far have not had negatives/conditions that have to be fulfilled. For the Racist Ax, it's that it has to target the same race as the wielder for the bonus, a strange condition for a adventurer's weapon. The teapot, on the other hand, has a negative. That negative being that it gets left behind when a person uses it.

And this is actually consistent for most magical items in the comic that we've seen thus far. The Axe of Prissan requires that it be used for good acts, or else the demon inside will escape and destroy the realm. The crossbow bolts kin used at brassmoon city were very fragile and took a while to regenerate. The orb of bloodlight requires there to actually be a missing limb, or else it will do nothing. Granted, this is probably because of the D&D universe the comic is set in; items have to have balance, or else the game gets boring. The only exceptions are the sword that Complain's wields (+1 to hit with no negative) and Chief's (Rest his soul) spear, which also doesn't seem to have any negatives. Eh. I'm probably overthinking this while simultaneously being incredibly obvious.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 am

raaabr wrote:And this is actually consistent for most magical items in the comic that we've seen thus far. The Axe of Prissan requires that it be used for good acts, or else the demon inside will escape and destroy the realm....
Designed for a Paladin also gives armor, so mostly "good acts" is not much of a limitation, extreme power for low level character.

Forgath's anymug as level 1 item is extremely useful... endless supply of water and food, and endless supply of flammable liquids and source of gold (create liquids to sell) and other uses.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:28 am

Kore wrote:
raaabr wrote:And this is actually consistent for most magical items in the comic that we've seen thus far. The Axe of Prissan requires that it be used for good acts, or else the demon inside will escape and destroy the realm....
Designed for a Paladin also gives armor, so mostly "good acts" is not much of a limitation, extreme power for low level character.

Forgath's anymug as level 1 item is extremely useful... endless supply of water and food, and endless supply of flammable liquids and source of gold (create liquids to sell) and other uses.
If memory serves, the armor is still given to non-paladins, like Saral Caine, but it isn't a full suit of armor. Just wanted to point that out.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:00 am

raaabr wrote:
Kore wrote:

If memory serves, the armor is still given to non-paladins, like Saral Caine, but it isn't a full suit of armor. Just wanted to point that out.
Non-Paladins get a half-plate.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 am

I personally think Kin's going to go with Minmax. Remember that she thinks the goblins want to destroy the world. I doubt she'd give up Minmax and risk the entire world just to bring back something that could be very easily replaced by a high level wizard. Then again, if the Jade Teapot magically made better tea...
MrTNT wrote:But I'm drunk, so what does I noe.
AGH! You just summoned Noe! What are we going to do now?! It's not like we have K'seliss!

Also, welcome to the forum!
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:20 am

But you have me!
And seriously, isn't it exact opposite of racism axe?
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:23 am

you, its probably better to call it Kin-slayer... That wont be confusing at all
Click here if you want to beat me up!

Rezby
Remains Silent

Post by Rezby » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 am

MrTNT wrote:, an
The thing is, with all of Minmax's bonus feats and stuff, he's never mentioned to my drunken knowledge having ambidexterity. So I don't see him trying to wield the racist ax, and Oblivious simultaneously.
He never says it, but you can see he's versed in fighting with both hands.

He's using both hands to kill Psionic Minmax here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/07212013-2/ (okay, this one is a bit of a stretch, but I'm working backwards from the present)
He has swords in both hands in this scene: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04272013/
He holds a zombie back with one hand while trying to stab Ruby here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02012013/ (also a bit of a stretch, but here for completeness's sake. Ruleswise I think this is actually just standard grappling)
And here we see him actually using two weapon fighting: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08232011/

That's all I remember from the Maze of Many, though his performance in the last one suggests its entirely possible he doesn't have the prerequisite feats to wield two weapons simultaneously (or just silent minmax was... well... more minmaxed than our minmax).

So while he's not ambidextrous, that's no longer a thing that matters since the edition change to 3.5 from 3rd (and I'm like 90% sure Goblins: Life through their eyes is based off a 3.5 world).

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:59 pm

It's not. It's mainly 3.0.
Goblins Wiki FAQ wrote: Q: What RPG system is the Goblins comic universe based on?

A: The Goblins world is based off the d20 system Dungeons and Dragons version 3.0 with added home-brew elements and the 3.5 system.
edit: To clarify, that doesn't mean it was upgraded to the 3.5 system. It means he sometimes uses 3.5 elements (and someone mentioned a while back that the soulspike devourer that came out of the Shield of Wonder in Brassmoon City is from 4.0).

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:37 pm

oh, I was thinking that monster was a devourer taken from Guide to the Ethereal Plane, as it lacked the number of specified souls it could eat... it diddet really fit the monster manual 3.5 version... so 4th eh?
Click here if you want to beat me up!

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
Aegis J Hyena wrote: Still, and I don't know if it was brought up in the thread earlier, but the next part we know of due to foreshadowing, Minmax is pulling Oblivious out while addressing Names. So maybe he discards the axe for something else?

The reason he'd pull Oblivious instead is, he's not fighting a human, thus the axe becomes a +1 instead of a +7.
Or he could be dual weilding...

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:55 pm

If he will be fighting Kore... shouldn't he give the axe to Forgath? He would get bonus then.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Bad At Jokes
Whispers Softly

Post by Bad At Jokes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 am

Borys wrote:If he will be fighting Kore... shouldn't he give the axe to Forgath? He would get bonus then.
He doesn't know who Kore is but i'm sure it will come in handy with Kore.

Also Panel 7, Minmax's arm is way off, he should have a shoulder where that bicep is.

He looks like Igor.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 am

Say, at what point do we have a definitive answer that Kore is actually a dwarf? He's Called a dwarf, sure, but that could just be because of his epic beard. He's constantly obscured from our view due to his helmet, and unless someone wants to compare ratios it seems difficult to nail down his height. (Which could still be just that he's a short human.) However, that theory kinda falls flat since this is a universe based on a narrative, which means purposely lying to the players would be in bad taste. Then again, it could be a twist that the guy who forgath's player was fighting and thought they might die fighting was actually....a human with epic beard hair, nulling the prophecy in that instance. Oh, and it would also mean Kore would melt against Minmax with his Racist Axe

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Kore a Dwarf?

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:39 am

http://www.goblinscomic.com/08272005/ wrote: Sticks: Holy crap! It's Kore!!
http://www.goblinscomic.com/08282005/ wrote:O1: Kore?!
O2: Oh no!
Hawl: Who's Kore?

Boulder: A Dwarven paladin from beyond the Godskull Mountains. I dunno how he found us, but if he gets in here, we're all dead.
Is that sufficient for you?

Nah, here, have more:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/09242006/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
It was also mentioned on the character sheet for Flejj Hillmover (previous owner of the Axe of Prissan), that Kore was the Dwarf who killed all of Flejj's companions.

And last instance I found:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/01142011/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Krulle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 am

Borys wrote:If he will be fighting Kore... shouldn't he give the axe to Forgath? He would get bonus then.
Was my first thought...Forgath will end up with the axe of racism and finally beat Kore, just smashing that shiny axe right through his shield and helmet.
:zzz:

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 am

Raaabr and Nerre, you need to read the first page again; nobody with the Kinslayer is going to do to Kore what he can't undo to himself.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

rodtheworm
Remains Silent
UStream Username: rodtheworm

Post by rodtheworm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am

raaabr wrote:Have to wonder why someone would create a weapon that can deal so much damage to YOUR OWN RACE?
There's an important difference between 'your own race' and 'the wielder's race':

Step 1: Key a magical axe to do massive damage to the wielder's race.
Step 2: Let a group of orcs/goblins/kobolds/bugbears/gnolls etc. get their hands on it.
Step 3: Sit back and watch the blood/scales/fur fly.
Step 4: Rinse (literally) and repeat with next group.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Kore a Dwarf?

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:57 am

Krulle wrote:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/08272005/ wrote: Sticks: Holy crap! It's Kore!!
http://www.goblinscomic.com/08282005/ wrote:O1: Kore?!
O2: Oh no!
Hawl: Who's Kore?

Boulder: A Dwarven paladin from beyond the Godskull Mountains. I dunno how he found us, but if he gets in here, we're all dead.
Is that sufficient for you?

Nah, here, have more:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/09242006/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
It was also mentioned on the character sheet for Flejj Hillmover (previous owner of the Axe of Prissan), that Kore was the Dwarf who killed all of Flejj's companions.

And last instance I found:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/01142011/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Circumstantial, but he also tells the little boy that he knows of his clan, and that it is honorable, before he murders him.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 pm

MrTNT wrote:
Thukko wrote:Why is it when Minmax said, "I read the description", his armor didn't turn red? He said "read" in the past tense, so it would be pronounced like "red".
But when he said read, he wasn't implying the color. I don't think it works like the trick with Noe, where it doesn't matter if you say No, Know, or Noe. To change the color of his armor, he has to actually mean to say a color, not a word that sounds like it. Just like he doesn't have to say the actual name of a color to change it to that. For instance, when his eye was regenerated with him IME color, he said, Purpleish, and yet his armor turned purple.
That's because he said "purple-ish", and not "purplish".

As for read vs. red, we must remember, MinMax cannot spell -- so anything coming out of his mouth that sounds like red should trigger the armor color change. :lol:

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Not sure if someone has mentioned it, but Minmax may not have said 'read' (pronounced red), and instead said 'read' (pronounced reed). It's somewhat unlikely, (I don't think he's had trouble speaking like this before), but he may have confused the meanings of two similar words (well, tenses of words or whatever).

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm

stevedj wrote:
MrTNT wrote:
Thukko wrote:Why is it when Minmax said, "I read the description", his armor didn't turn red? He said "read" in the past tense, so it would be pronounced like "red".
But when he said read, he wasn't implying the color. I don't think it works like the trick with Noe, where it doesn't matter if you say No, Know, or Noe. To change the color of his armor, he has to actually mean to say a color, not a word that sounds like it. Just like he doesn't have to say the actual name of a color to change it to that. For instance, when his eye was regenerated with him IME color, he said, Purpleish, and yet his armor turned purple.
That's because he said "purple-ish", and not "purplish".

As for read vs. red, we must remember, MinMax cannot spell -- so anything coming out of his mouth that sounds like red should trigger the armor color change. :lol:
I'm fairly sure this is the first time this was tested; I've been watching for it (and yet I missed it). We've argued it both ways. I'd hoped for the punnish interpretations, but it's just as valid to say (as other have) that it's a matter of intent, that a color is more a mental concept than a string of phonemes, and if Minmax didn't mean 'red', then saying 'read' or 'redd' wouldn't trigger the change.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Jochi wrote: I'd hoped for the punnish interpretations, but it's just as valid to say (as other have) that it's a matter of intent, that a color is more a mental concept than a string of phonemes, and if Minmax didn't mean 'red', then saying 'read' or 'redd' wouldn't trigger the change.
If it's based on mental concept, then if 'grape' means a particular color to MM, that should have triggered.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Suddenly I feel so Moronic.... :oops: :wall:

But until the character sheet example, it was all still obscured; since no one has ever seen Kore and lived to tell about it (Well, at least one person has, I suppose), the fact that they declared him a dwarf was kind of an assumption...Now i'm just beating a dead horse, so I'll stop right there.
BuildsLegos wrote:Raaabr and Nerre, you need to read the first page again; nobody with the Kinslayer is going to do to Kore what he can't undo to himself.
Oh, I know that Kore probably won't be killed, but any delay would be sufficient for them to start running.