28th October, 2013 - Human!

Discuss the comic here!
mightclark
Remains Silent

28th October, 2013 - Human!

Post by mightclark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Damn minmax, waita destroy everything.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10272013/
Last edited by mightclark on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: Human!

Post by Tarnagh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:50 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10272013/

When the serpent becomes your prey,
friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

MinMax isn't going to be able to let this go. He's going to follow her. Friends just became enemies and his love no matter how hard he tries is going to fuel her hate.

To be revised the next time something godawful happens. :(

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Re: 28th October -2013 - Human!

Post by Simon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Well.... at least Minmax was sorry about it. Not sure what else to say :(

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Kin will prepare the tea so MM and Forgath leave and she doesn't have to go through a maze reset with them even if Ruby&co want to be able to go through a reset without losing their memories.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Well, I have a tiny tiny slightly hopeful feeling. It is very small. And not much hope. But, I see that he did try to understand her pain and he patently felt own his sin horribly . . . he obviously did think very hard before he spoke telling her take the leash, as if he was agonising over how best to diminish his further "order" and make it as little like "Him giving her an order" as he possibly could. And he resisted the opportunity to try to use the leash to "make up for" his fault like some posters though might be a good idea.

And Kin is smarter than me. If I see that he did all that, she will too.

And she pretty obviously did care for him before he grabbed the leash.

He might just come out of this without her hating him absolutely. Which would be benediction more than he ought to expect.

If that damned rat Ruby can JUST KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT NOW . . . Kin and even MinMax might just come out of this without any more trauma.

:(

Simon_Jester
Mutters to Themself

Re: 28th October, 2013 - Human!

Post by Simon_Jester » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 am

Hm.

Well, I don't perceive this as making the situation materially better or worse.

Kin is, predictably and justifiably, outraged and is retreating from the situation. I consider it a tossup whether she tries to poison Minmax's tea, frankly. The Kin-group will probably interact with her before Forgath or Minmax does so.

Minmax was not stupid enough to compound his earlier stupid with even more stupid by, say, rambling on about the situation while holding the leash, thus exposing Kin to gods only know what random magical orders. Thaaat would have made things even more worser.

If I'd had to give a weighted average of all the things I might happen, weighted by their probability, this would be... about that average. No sudden brilliant schemes to reverse everything (c'mon, a brilliant scheme from Minmax?), no further disasters beyond the two that have already happened.

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tarnagh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 am

AntMac wrote:If that damned rat Ruby can JUST KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT NOW . . . Kin and even MinMax might just come out of this without any more trauma.
Here's the thing though - even Ruby won't remember that she dropped the "Kin" necklace into an oblivion hole. So there's nothing (that she's aware of) to keep her mouth shut about. :(

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am

AntMac wrote:Well, I have a tiny tiny slightly hopeful feeling. It is very small. And not much hope. But, I see that he did try to understand her pain and he patently felt own his sin horribly . . . he obviously did think very hard before he spoke telling her take the leash, as if he was agonising over how best to diminish his further "order" and make it as little like "Him giving her an order" as he possibly could. And he resisted the opportunity to try to use the leash to "make up for" his fault like some posters though might be a good idea.

And Kin is smarter than me. If I see that he did all that, she will too.

And she pretty obviously did care for him before he grabbed the leash.

He might just come out of this without her hating him absolutely. Which would be benediction more than he ought to expect.

If that damned rat Ruby can JUST KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT NOW . . . Kin and even MinMax might just come out of this without any more trauma.

:(
Yeah, but he didn't have to stand there like a dickhead holding on to the leash for so long. Even if he didn't know it was a magic leash (which seems unlikely to me), he should have just dropped the leash as soon as he realised he'd ruined everything; he didn't have to 'order' her to "take the leash".

I'm still hopeful that Ruby, Sapphire and Onyx are elsewhere, all enthralled by playing with the psionic gears, didn't see any of this, and won't until the tea is brewed and used. Not that I want Minmax to get away with being an arse, but I just want this story arc to end and to see the what happens when Minmax, Forgath, Complains, Thaco, Big Ears and Fumbles unite to confront Kore.

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:21 am

I'm thinking about something. If Ruby brews the tea and stays in the labyrinth with her memory, how would she go through the first test alone?
Would she have to wait for the others kins to come with here?

What about Sapphire? She forgot her MM and Forgath after their death due to her tatoos, won't the reset be weird to her?

Or do they intend to start in the same room from the beginning?

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 am

Quild wrote:I'm thinking about something. If Ruby brews the tea and stays in the labyrinth with her memory, how would she go through the first test alone?
Would she have to wait for the others kins to come with here?

What about Sapphire? She forgot her MM and Forgath after their death due to her tatoos, won't the reset be weird to her?

Or do they intend to start in the same room from the beginning?
Yeah, that is confusing, I can't understand how they can actually be a team after the reset, either.
Tarnagh wrote:
AntMac wrote:If that damned rat Ruby can JUST KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT NOW . . . Kin and even MinMax might just come out of this without any more trauma.
Here's the thing though - even Ruby won't remember that she dropped the "Kin" necklace into an oblivion hole. So there's nothing (that she's aware of) to keep her mouth shut about. :(
Yeah, that is why I made a sad face.

She don't know nothing about it now, except what she already thought she "knew" with complete certainty . . . all human males ought to be retro-actively aborted. Our Kins going to rock up and say what happened, Ruby is going to say, "I KNEW IT, my goodness, and we treated them with such careful, exceptional fairness . . . Let's Kill'em !".

PeterM
Remains Silent

Post by PeterM » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 am

After re-reading the last few strips, I gotta say I think Forgath's thingy is definitely a hammer. No question.

I'm also with those who don't buy that the loss of the necklace would have that big of an effect on Kin, so this all just doesn't work for me as well as it probably should. If I take it as on faith that it did, in fact, affect Kin that much then it all works well and makes sense and such. But I don't think that, so what can I do.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 am

No matter how we look at it...KinMax is done (or MinKin? No, that sounds wrong). That's a bittersweet way to finally return to the Goblins.

EDIT: On the other hand, there is a look of sorrow on Kin's face in the last panel. Maybe she still loves Minmax but is too heartbroken to stop and think...
Last edited by WastesTime on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 am

If the situation was perfectly reversed, a human couldn't say "SNAKE !" with more disgust and feeling.

Kin being unhappy makes me sad. :'( :( :'(

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GuessesWildly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 am

So here is my take on what will happen now:

Minmax and Forgath will exit the maze and go on to meet the GAP + Kore. But we won't actually see that yet.
Onyx, Sapphire, and specially Ruby, will persuade Kin to stay with them. And we'll see a few more pages of them before talking and getting everything ready before resetting the maze.
Ruby is the only one who knows about the KEN necklace, and I believe she will screw up and accidentally mention something, and Kin will catch on that Ruby did something with the oblivion holes regarding Minmax and her.
Kin will then force it out of her by grabbing Ruby's leash, revealing everything as it really happened.
There will be a dispute between the Kins, but 'our' Kin will exit the maze to go find Minmax and set things right.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:09 am

GuessesWildly wrote:So here is my take on what will happen now:

Minmax and Forgath will exit the maze and go on to meet the GAP + Kore. But we won't actually see that yet.
Onyx, Sapphire, and specially Ruby, will persuade Kin to stay with them. And we'll see a few more pages of them before talking and getting everything ready before resetting the maze.
Ruby is the only one who knows about the KEN necklace, and I believe she will screw up and accidentally mention something, and Kin will catch on that Ruby did something with the oblivion holes regarding Minmax and her.
Kin will then force it out of her by grabbing Ruby's leash, revealing everything as it really happened.
There will be a dispute between the Kins, but 'our' Kin will exit the maze to go find Minmax and set things right.

What is this KEN necklace you refer to?. I asked around, and it is as if it went into an oblivion hole, no one knows nothing about it.

;)

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:18 am

GuessesWildly wrote:So here is my take on what will happen now:

How can Ruby know anything about the KEN necklace? When it went in the oblivion hole, it came to be that it never existed. She can't remeber destroying something that never existed. She just put her hand near Kin's neck, then went near an oblivion hole for a short time for an unclear reason. Most Kins don't have a KEN necklace, there's no reason for anyone to suspect that our Kin once did (sort of).

Also, Kin would NEVER grab another's leash.

If Kin needs to find out about the KEN necklace, then it might happen when they reset. We don't know what happens with things that went into oblivion holes, they could well be regenerated on reset.

Mueca
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mueca » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 am

I must say this resolution feels kind of relieving, but it's probably only due to the fact that any resolution would do so after such a dramatic climax.

I think Minmax realizing what he has done and being terribly sorry is far more believable than all the theories the last page sprouted -including mine, of course- of him cutting the leash or fixing this in any way. This proves he did act irrationally (no surprises there) and tried to clumsily fix it as soon as he could. Of course, it was too late, for he never should have gotten hold of Kin's leash in the first place.

As terrible as this sounds, Kin's anger towards Minmax and this whole page don't feel as heartbreaking as the last one. Minmax just had it coming.

On a totally unrelated note, I just realized all the forum icons have Goblin ears. I just thought they were all shrugging.
Last edited by Mueca on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 am

This page marks the moment at which I become completely disgusted with this entire segment of the storyline. First Thunt contradicts his own previous statement about how the O-holes work, then he has Kin and Minmax act in a completely out-of-character fashion because of their memory lapse, and now this. It's just utterly fucked up on every level, and I expected so much better of Thunt. If there isn't some positive resolution down the line (eg the maze reset brings back the necklace and Kin realizes what happened), it'll mean all the character development we've seen this whole time was retroactively just a waste, and I don't think I'll ever forgive Thunt for poisoning the very well he dug in such a fashion.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 am

Still many things are left open...
Will have to wait a few updates to see how things end up.

Also what happend to purple tears in panels 7 & 10.
Probably a coloring error.

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 am

this is when minmax should be like. "OK I deserve that. and any other malice you have toward me. Out of respect for you I'll just leave." (insert minmax's super sad face)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 am

wordelo wrote:this is when minmax should be like. "OK I deserve that. and any other malice you have toward me. Out of respect for you I'll just leave." (insert minmax's super sad face)
Except he can't leave. Kin took the Teapot and slithered away; if MM doesn't go after Kin, he has to at least go after the Teapot and use it himself (or more likely have Forgath do it) so that he can leave the maze. Otherwise, he has nowhere to go; he just has to sit around until the Kins reset the maze.

I still don't buy Kin's reaction here at all. Hitting him, sure, and running away, but calling him "Human!" as an insult in-between? When just a second ago she was calling him a wonderful human being? It's like Ruby is actually a demonic shapeshifter with mind-control powers or something. I completely don't accept it.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 am

willpell wrote:... but calling him "Human!" as an insult in-between? When just a second ago she was calling him a wonderful human being? ...
Minmax did rather convincingly prove to Kin that she was completely and utterly wrong in thinking he was a wonderful human being.

Maur
Of Few Words

Re: Human!

Post by Maur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am

Cant say i am surprised. Maybe a bit about the way Kin went all back into human hate, it is as the comic went back to its roots (humans are monsters).
Tarnagh wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/10272013/

When the serpent becomes your prey,
friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

MinMax isn't going to be able to let this go. He's going to follow her. Friends just became enemies and his love no matter how hard he tries is going to fuel her hate.

To be revised the next time something godawful happens. :(
For the love of Cthulhu, the prophecy is about Forgath dying at the hands of another dwarf. I cant see any other dwarves there. Can we please stop bringing up the bloody prophecy in every thread?

Sorry for the rant.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:27 am

AntMac wrote:Yeah, that is confusing, I can't understand how they can actually be a team after the reset, either.
They mentioned they will do it by manipulating the psionic gears, IIRC.
WastesTime wrote:EDIT: On the other hand, there is a look of sorrow on Kin's face in the last panel. Maybe she still loves Minmax but is too heartbroken to stop and think...
Of course she does, love doesnt disappear in a moment. But it doesnt necessarily mean she will want to have anything to do with him anymore.
willpell wrote:This page marks the moment at which I become completely disgusted with this entire segment of the storyline. First Thunt contradicts his own previous statement about how the O-holes work, then he has Kin and Minmax act in a completely out-of-character fashion because of their memory lapse, and now this. It's just utterly fucked up on every level, and I expected so much better of Thunt. If there isn't some positive resolution down the line (eg the maze reset brings back the necklace and Kin realizes what happened), it'll mean all the character development we've seen this whole time was retroactively just a waste, and I don't think I'll ever forgive Thunt for poisoning the very well he dug in such a fashion.
Well, Goblins is closer to tragedy, so i dont think that the destruction of their relationship is a waste anymore than Oedipus finding out the truth and not living happily ever after meant the play was terrible.
willpell wrote:I still don't buy Kin's reaction here at all. Hitting him, sure, and running away, but calling him "Human!" as an insult in-between? When just a second ago she was calling him a wonderful human being? It's like Ruby is actually a demonic shapeshifter with mind-control powers or something. I completely don't accept it.
Remember that Kin thought all humans were evil, (experience of Brassmoon), and Minmax is the sole exception she was exposed too. That part isnt weird.
Last edited by Maur on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:32 am

And we're back where we were a couple of strips ago, with Kin wanting to leave to brew the tea and Minmax being confused and unhappy. :/