GAL: Quest 1 (Completed)

For all games that are now over.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 16)

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:32 am

The simple truth is, there's no lye.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 am

OOC: Somehow my attempt at ribbing you thinks as a fellow scientist has gone completely into really bad puns...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 am

OOC: :D It's the best kind of tangent to go off on! But sorry, I'm unfortunately severely humour-deprived just now thanks to chapter-writing deadlines. I'll cheer up soon!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Sorry, Thinks. Hang in there!

As for this turn... I'm stuck. We need a plan. And also an archer. We uproot the ladder. We... what? Is it long enough to go diagonally from the far side of the bridge? If so, is that what we want to do? How do we protect ourselves from the stingers? And how do we take care of the spider? And save the gnome?

Seems like the best plan is to lure the spider out of its web and drop it in the acid. How do we make that happen? Any other ideas? Anyone?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 17)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Turn 17

"Maybe we could borrow the ladder to get over the acid pit. Hey there, Rork, was it? Would you kindly lend me your spear for a moment, maybe? I'm sure a big hunk of a fellow like you wouldn't have problems to guard the bridge from gnomes for a minute or so without a weapon. I could give you my pointy stick in the meantime, if you want to. I could even offer you a tasty rat, freshly killed, as rental payment, if you're interested in that."
"I.. Well... a rat you say? Look, this is MASSIVELY against protocol, but I'm bloody starving so I'm just going to eat this rat of yours and if you happen to pick up my spear while I'm on break then maybe I just won't notice. But you CAN'T let those gnomes across understand?"

Walks turns the bridge back off, trades a rat and grabs the spear. Rescue attempts will need to wait till next turn though because she's out of actions!

Meanwhile, William sparks a conversation with the gnomes at the bottom of the ladder.

"Hoi! You want to watch where you're putting those big feet! That ladder's seen better days."
"Good day, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that acid pool that is separating us from rescuing your fellow gnome from the spider? Like say some sort of level control or such? We are looking for a way of getting around or over it to rescue the poor fellow before he becomes dinner."
"Oh! Oh, yeah... No. No, that spider spits web at us from a distance to get us stuck and then climbs along the walls to take us to her web. She can't go in the acid herself so she doesn't really bother with the stingers - no way to get them out the acid again if they fall in, but she'll take a bite at them if they get in her way. But look, we aren't exactly fighters, but we are pretty good tailors. If you're going to tackle that thing, and think we can be of use then just say the word. We could probably make a rope or a net or something, or maybe even some kind of armour. You're awfully big though and we've probably only got enough stuff for one item so have a think about what you'd like."
"Well you wouldn't know anything besides the spider which might dissuade the stingers from flying about and stining those attempting the rescue would you?"
"Not really. Those guys are dickheads."

Mines contemplates the plan and Odd spaces out for a second turn.

--------------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
Stats & Loot [Items in red are currently equipped]
.[tabs: Odd Duck]
ATT: 2
DEF: 2
HP: 4/5

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

[tabs: Walks With The Wind]
DEF: 1
HP: 3/5

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x3)
Skull

[tabs: william]

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

[tabs: Mines Flagons]

ITEMS: Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:38 pm

[ooc=Im sorry I spaced out, looks like I am back just in time for the hiatus. I guess the skeleton plot is not going to work. But then again, it seems like killing anything in this room would be pretty much impossible right now. I am not sure what to do other than try to lure the stingers away from the pit so we can kill them or lure the skeletons into the pit (which seems like it didnt work).]
Odd will go down the ladder to join William, unless it seems as if the skeletons will attack - in which case he stays put.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 am

"Enjoy!" Walks encourages the troll, wishing him a nice meal, and inconspicuously grabs his spear. Then she tries to rescue the gnome, lying down on her belly like before, very carefully cutting the silk that holds him into place with the point/edge of the spear tip and then allowing him to hold on/climb up the spear. If successful, she'll hand the spear back to the troll a.s.a.p.
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:14 pm

William nods..."Ah, well quite good of you to assist us. I suppose some rope might be useful but at the moment, I think I wish to discuss this with my fellows..."

William then looks at Odd..."I have an idea, see if we can get those three chests down from where we killed the rats would you?"

William turns back to the gnomes..."So who installed the acid pit, the same owner who put in those skeletons?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 pm

"Ok."

Odd will go back up to the first floor and see if it possible to bring the chests down to where the troll guard is.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:04 pm

(OOC: I'm totally wiped. So I've got nothing to spare for game planning.)

Mines will go help Odd with the trunks.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 18)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Turn 18

"Enjoy!"

Walks picks up the spear and leans off the edge of the bridge to try and reach the trapped gnome. As soon as she touches the web, the spider lunges at the spear head and grabs it hard in its jaws! Uh oh!

"Hey! Watch what you're doing with that! They'll dock my wages if I lose another one!"

Odd climbs down the ladder to join William. It judders and wobbles a bit under his weight.

"Ah, well quite good of you to assist us. I suppose some rope might be useful but at the moment, I think I wish to discuss this with my fellows... So who installed the acid pit, the same owner who put in those skeletons?"
"We don't know really, we bought the place through Lair's Emporium when it became available, but didn't really want to ask about the previous owners. They'll either have moved onto a bigger place or been brutally slaughtered, and frankly I prefer not to know."

Turning to Odd he says, "I have an idea, see if we can get those three chests down from where we killed the rats would you?"
"Ok."

Odd goes back up the ladder, but can't get back upstairs with Mines while Walks is blocking the bridge.

---------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Borrowed Spear (+2 ATT)
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

ITEMS: Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Odd goes back up the ladder, but can't get back upstairs with Mines while Wears is blocking the bridge.
(You mean Walks, I presume.)

Oops. We should have remembered that.

So what do we do now? Have Walks let go of the spear? I'm in a good position to try to shoot the spider from here, but Odd has the bow & arrows. Any other ideas?

Also: Yay! Game is back! :D

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:52 pm

"Guys, can you turn the bridge on so we can get across?"

If it is tured on I will cross and go upstairs.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm

We can't turn on the bridge while Walks is hanging over it. Not unless she can move so she's hanging over the side instead of through the gap where the bridge should be.

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Yah I'm gonna reccomend against getting closer to the spider at this time. Maybe you can pull the spear back, or maybe since the spider is grabbing it you and the big guy can swing it into the pit.

In the meantime I guess we will just watch :roll:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 am

"Rork, a little help here? Hold onto my legs and make sure that I don't fall in, please. Or, even better, try to pull me up." Walks asks the Rork the troll and tries to yank the spear out of the spider's grip and/or make the spider fall into the acid vat.
If she is in danger of falling and/or the troll doesn't help, she'll let go of the spear. (In doubt: better to lose an item than to lose a character. :? But try NOT to lose the spear, if possible.)
If she is able to get up to the platform again, and the spider stays in it's web, Walks will also turn on the bridge again.
If the spider comes after her, she'll hit it with the best weapon she has (spear? pointy stick).
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 19)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Turn 19

"Rork, a little help here? Hold onto my legs and make sure that I don't fall in, please. Or, even better, try to pull me up."
"Bloody hell... Last time I trust a goblin with my stuff!"

Rork grabs hold of Walks' ankles and hauls her up. Fortunately, the spider doesn't seem to enjoy munching sharp metal things quite as much as it likes gnomes, and they are able to wrench the spear free. It comes back covered in venom!

"Ewwwwww! Gross! Look, why don't you just keep that for a bit and give it back when you've cleaned all the minging spider juice off it?"

The other goblins stand around encouragingly, but do absolutely nothing. Except for William, who isn't even encouraging.

--------------------------------------------------

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Venomous Spear (+2 ATT): Venom has a chance to paralyse the enemy.
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Ooo, good job!

Okay, once Walks is back on her feet, we can turn the bridge back on and go help Odd with the chests. Still not sure what the plan is, but willing to give it a try. (It's not switching an empty chest for the one the skeletons are guarding, is it?)

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Odd will wait to for the bridge to appear (and cross and go upstairs for chests once it is) and say "Can we stab those acid faries with the poisoned spear? I dont think it will work on the skeletons."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 pm

If William could just come up to where I'm standing, and Walks could lure the spider back out, he should have a clear shot at a distracted and stationary target. I could maybe even light the arrows for extra damage.

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm

William decides to follow the wisdom of the great Beanie Cap God and goes up the ladder to try and assist in killing the spider. He arms his bow and arrow...
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 am

► Show Spoiler
"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Of course I'll give you the spear back nice and clean. Thank you for your help, Rork. That was cutting it a bit too close for comfort." Walks says, wiping some sweat off her forehead with the back of her head and pulls out the now empty bottle wherein her healing potion has been and tries to scrape into that as much of the venom from the spear tip, as she can. Assuming that the spear isn't truly clean yet, she keeps it for now, though.

"I'm not messing with that spider again, laying on my belly all by myself. If you want that, you can do it, and I'll hold the torch for igniting the arrows." Walks says to Mines, her brows furrowing at his so very ungentlemangoblin-y suggestion of putting her life on the line again.
If Mines agrees, (and someone turns on the bridge - if I understood that correctly, it CAN be turned on and off from both buttons, but on only if nothing is in the way) Walks will light her own torch at his, pass the spear to Mines, saying "I need to give that back to Rork, so please don't lose it." and stands next to William, ready to assist in any way she can.

"Or, I can offer you a rat corpse, you could use that to try and lure the spider over to the other side of the bridge." Walks suggests an alternate plan."You could hold it by its tail, letting it dangle just below the bridge through one of the gaps. If the spider has to come and get it, instead of just spitting some webs at it and pull it in, the spider MIGHT use the under side of the bridge to walk there. Then, we could try and turn the bridge off and hopefully, the spider would fall into the acid vat. If it doesn't work, all we lose is a rat corpse, which, while a shame, because they are tasty, would still be a lot better than to lose the spear and/or a fellow goblin."
If the others agree to this plan, (and someone turns on the bridge) Walks will pass the rat corpse to Mines and stand ready to turn the bridge off again, when the spider is over the acid.

Summary: Scrape venom off the spear tip into the empty healing potion bottle.
Either: Light own torch at Mines' one, pass the spear to Mines and hold torch for William to ignite his arrows with them
Or: pass rat corpse to Mines and stand ready to turn bridge off when the spider is over the acid pit
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 20)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Turn 20

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Of course I'll give you the spear back nice and clean. Thank you for your help, Rork. That was cutting it a bit too close for comfort. I'm not messing with that spider again, laying on my belly all by myself. If you want that, you can do it, and I'll hold the torch for igniting the arrows. Or, I can offer you a rat corpse, you could use that to try and lure the spider over to the other side of the bridge. You could hold it by its tail, letting it dangle just below the bridge through one of the gaps. If the spider has to come and get it, instead of just spitting some webs at it and pull it in, the spider MIGHT use the under side of the bridge to walk there. Then, we could try and turn the bridge off and hopefully, the spider would fall into the acid vat. If it doesn't work, all we lose is a rat corpse, which, while a shame, because they are tasty, would still be a lot better than to lose the spear and/or a fellow goblin."
"Can we stab those acid faries with the poisoned spear? I dont think it will work on the skeletons."

The goblins plan some more and prepare for battle!

Walks collects some of the spider venom in the healing potion vial and hopes they don't cause a violent chemical reaction. Then she turns the bridge back on and passes the somewhat less venomous spear to Mines and lights her torch again.

William comes up the ladder and readies his bow...

Odd and Mines leave them to it and head upstairs.

-----------------------------------------------

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Vial of spider venom: Can be applied to weapons or added to potions.
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

ITEMS:
Venomous Spear (+2 ATT): Venom has a chance to paralyse the enemy.[/tabs]

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Shove one of the chests off the ledge so we can get it downstairs.

Tell mines "Wouldn't that sign go great in front of the inn? We got to remember to get it before we leave."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Still not sure why, but I'll help move the chest down. Should have traded torches on the way, Oops.

► Show Spoiler